A couple of Phant-nams

Dansk

20 hours ago, Dansk said:

This is where the academy is better than the hasegawa.

hasegawas has that tricky seam along the fuselage top this is on top of raised panel lines, and academys is much better

Hi Dansk - totally agree about the top seam.  By the way, my Hasegawa J has engraved panel lines.  But then it has a reasonable representation of the main wheels whilst my three Hasegawa RAF Phantom kits all had wheels with moulded spokes that looked more like they should be on a bicycle!

20 hours ago, Dansk said:

this eve i tried the cockpit in the fueslage in the academy and again its vague where it should sit, i find the kit a little frustrating so far.

This is a mainly taped up fit of the Academy front end.  The cockpit tub / nose gear bay assembly is glued to the lower front fuselage section (F40 in my kit) - the fit here is clearly defined by the recess on the inside of the lower fuselage.  The two bulkheads are possibly a little too far forward at the top edge (haven't double checked my reference photos) but have enough flex to push them backwards.  Despite the instructions at Step 5, I'm going to attach the top fuselage to the wings (they are taped at present) and then insert the cockpit lower / fuselage sub assembly - I think this will give a good alignment on all of the joints.  Oh yes, note to self, the panel behind the IFR probe housing needs pushing backwards on the top edge when glueing.

20200901_170023

13 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Is it just me, or does the academy kit look a little bit larger?

It's about 2mm longer than the Hasegawa to the exhaust section - the difference is quite obvious if you look at the distance from the wing trailing edged to the first fuselage panel, most of the other panel lines are almost in line on the two kits.

Mike

• Like 1

Mike i think thats another issue with the academy in that you locate the cockpit tub on top of the gear well (theres a touch of possible misalignment there) then the tub and wheel well locate to the underside fuselage piece, then thats all supposed to line up perfect when installed upwards into the upper fuselage (which doesnt have precise locating points for the tub so the bulkheads will never line up right there. 
wonder why my hasegawa is raised panel lines and yours isnt. thats not fair 😁🤨

13 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Brilliant thanks pete 👍🙏

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

wonder why my hasegawa is raised panel lines and yours isnt. thats not fair

The B/N was the first 1/48 Phantom that Hasegawa did which was still in the era of raised panel lines, when they did the J they had switched to engraved ones. I'm not 100% sure but I think that their C/D also has the raised lines. I think that we will convert you to believing that raised lines aren't a deal killer as far as models go Paul, you need to get a few old school Monogram kits under your belt.

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The B/N was the first 1/48 Phantom that Hasegawa did which was still in the era of raised panel lines, when they did the J they had switched to engraved ones. I'm not 100% sure but I think that their C/D also has the raised lines. I think that we will convert you to believing that raised lines aren't a deal killer as far as models go Paul, you need to get a few old school Monogram kits under your belt.

I had a J that was raised panel lines....though it was a second hand kit so it's entirely possible that someone played a swaparoo w/ the fuselage/wing bits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I had a J that was raised panel lines....though it was a second hand kit so it's entirely possible that someone played a swaparoo w/ the fuselage/wing bits.

The first 3 Hasegawa Phantom kits in 1/48th  came out around 1981, the B/N, C/D and the J were all made with raised panel lines.  They redid the J with engraved panel lines when they made an S variant.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The first 3 Hasegawa Phantom kits in 1/48th  came out around 1981, the B/N, C/D and the J were all made with raised panel lines.  They redid the J with engraved panel lines when they made an S variant.

There you have a brief history of the 1/48 Phantom kits, I wonder why they only redid the panel lines on the J and not the other versions?

• Like 1

They are still releasing some of the kits w/ raised panel lines.  My B/N boxing is from 2019.  :lol:  Ah well, whatever.  It's still a cool bicentennial scheme so I don't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

There you have a brief history of the 1/48 Phantom kits, I wonder why they only redid the panel lines on the J and not the other versions?

Who knows the mysteries of kit producers, perhaps they still sold well so they did not bother, but the Phantom F4S came out as a limited edition kit first, I suppose it was then an easy step to re-do the F4J.  From about 1983/1984 they started producing the long nosed versions, all engraved.

• Like 1