Martin B-57G - Enter the Dragon!***FINISHED***

PeterB

5 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Really cool, pete. This was always the best looking version of the Canberra, imo. Looks really cool with the lgbts slung under the wings.

Thanks,

Not sure I would go quite that far - in another GB earlier this year I seem to remember somebody described a plane as looking "purposeful" rather than "pretty" which is perhaps appropriate here, but I have to say the SEA camo suits it well. Whenever anybody mentions this war, it is aircraft in that scheme that I think of mainly, and I have hopefully a couple more to follow, though some Light Gull Gray over white USN machines may make an appearance as well.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Nice looking bird!  Really well done.  Takes me back to my time in the USAF.  From roughly 1970 - 1973 I was stationed at MacDill (1st TFW, 1st Combat Support Group).  At one point I was TDY to the base ceremonial team and we'd practice out on the flight line.  Used to see them crank the B-57's up all the time. Smoky old beast but it was fun to watch.

I've got that same kit but want to do mine as one of the B-57C trainers if I can ever find any pictures of the GIB's office.  So far, I haven't had any luck.  Checked with my good friend, the purveyor of all knowledge, the @TheRealMrEd to see if he had any information and the only thing he did was accuse me of being the only person in the known universe to care about the B-57C.  So much abuse I have to take.

In any case, yours looks marvelous.  Well done!  And thanks for the trip back in time.  :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well done Pete, she's finished and looks great!! :thumbsup:

O so love the look of this aircraft, so sinister and evil looking while still having those classic Canberra looks. I'm so tempted to put eh Skyraider away and build my resin one.........

I wouldn't at all worry about the slight miss-match of colours at all. I few months in that hot tropical weather out in the open and all the colours would have changed.The nice thing with the SEA schemes in this conflict is you really can't go wrong with the paint and colours you use. It'll either look factory fresh or old and weathered and everything else in between.

Glad you could join us and been great to follow this build.....even better to see you're on to build #2! :thumbsup:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work on your B-57G! As luck would have I've just been having a butcher's at mine - need to finish it. I do like the SEA camouflage on anything, especially the night version with the black undersides.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

In fairness it was a pretty good kit - OK the instructions were a bit vague at times and there were no locating holes for the majority of the aerials etc, but perhaps that is down to it being a conversion of their B-57B kit and I doubt they made any changes to the actual fuselage. They were perhaps a bit lazy with the replacement nose as a result, but fitting it over the existing one did work out reasonably well as they had tapered the edges and it did save me from my usually terrible cutting, which I never seem to get quite straight! I am almost tempted to get the straight "B" version.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see this Canberra finished so early in this GB. I agree with other posters, the SEA camouflage really works well and the nose 'cap' has gone on well, better than I expected. I admit have put my B-57G kit back in the stash for now, I want to build it in the future the same as you have here.

Michael

• Like 1

That has come up beautifully well Peter, I really like that scheme. I've one of these in stock too, but aim to use some Xtradecals to do one with the standard nose rather than that basking shark lookalike monstrosity. For a kit that is supposed to be dimensionally challenged, I reckon it looks pretty good, especially the way you've done it. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve,

What, another of my kits in this GB "dimensionally challenged" - that makes 2 out of 2 so far! I suppose the Trumpeter F-105G will make it 3. Hopefully the Hasegawa Corsair II, Crusader or Skywarrior are better in that respect if I get round to building any of them.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Since reading Steve's post and replying I have dug out my copies of D&S and Naval Fighters, and find that the Corsair is crude but accurate in shape and the Crusader is wrong in a few places - nothing new there then. As for the Whale, then the only review I have is in Naval Fighters of the original release A-3B and they say that they think the nose and canopy are not quite right. Of course, Hasegawa might have changed them later as they did with the tail on the Corsair II  when they added  the RHAW aerial after a few years - who knows, and frankly I don't care as I will build it OOB - a nice big grey and white USN bird appeals to me and I have established that they were in use in 'Nam in small detatchments. As there are already A-7 and F-8 builds in this GB the EKA-3B will be my 4th entry, and hopefully it will get done this time as it missed out on the "In the Navy" GB earlier this year due to lack of time.

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Peter,

Absolutely wonderful build and I am jealous. I was planning to build a 1/48 RAAF Canberra B2 Mk.20 out of Phan Rang AB in the early 1970's, but it is just too darn big to get home to Australia.  If I can get home before the end of the year I will start, although this is not looking too positive with the Australian COVID travel restrictions.

The gallery images look fantastic.  Great choice of subject.

Ray

• Thanks 1