You're cleared in hot - OV-10 Bronco

Enzo the Magnificent

I first built an OV-10 Bronco as a callow youth about 45 years ago.  It was the venerable Airfix kit.

I've wanted to build another ever since, so this seems like the ideal opportunity.  This will be the Academy kit.

However, once I looked into the available colour schemes I found that there were two that were applicable:  the classic USMC olive drab scheme and the USAF FAC grey scheme.  I really couldn't make up my mind between them.  So then I wondered WWEMD? 

He would build 'em both!  :D   So that's what I'm gonna do!

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Okay, so lets look at the sprues.  Typical Academy fare, with their standard blue-grey plastic.  Tjhis is going to be fun.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...as long as there is room for sufficient nose ballast!   :pray:

• Like 7

Just now, modelling minion said:

Good to see that you're doing both the USAF and USMC ones, but you're leaving out the US Navy! You need another Bronco my friend. :) 

I was convinced that the scheme I had chosen was USMC, but it seems that it was actually US Navy.  So...   this leaves me in a quandary...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

At least you're doing a "Black Ponies" one, but that still leaves you one Bronco short.

Not any more.  I suddenly have a third Bronco winging its way to me.  This will be the Revell kit, which seems to be a rebox of the Academy one.

Let's hope I'm up to the challenge of completing three... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Oh...   and this just serves to show how easily I can be manipulated...   :lol:  

If it's any consolation I'm probably going to be keeping an eye out for a deal on another OV-1B.  I had originally earmarked this one for US Geological Survey duties...because how often do you see those schemes pop up.  Well, then the Vietnam GB rolled in and crushed that notion.  :whistle:

Then there is the Mirages (proposed French GB)...I stumbled across a IIIC which has a couple schemes I really like...so odds are very high that I'll be picking up an Overtree boxing as well to make use of the decals (assuming they are still available when I get home from work).  :doh:

The struggle is real!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Okay....   moving on.  Climate change?   :lol: 

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Easy, permanent lock down!

I'd be up for that.  It's a measure of how anti-social I am that when the lockdown happened, it did not have much of an impact on my life!  :D 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

as long as there is room for sufficient nose ballast!   :pray:

There is, I built one for the Forum’s tenth anniversary build. I built a pocket behind the cockpit using plastic sheet. And placed as much weight in the nose, and nacelles as I could. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

......and the Enzo production facility starts to ramp up!!!  You are certainly living up to the WWEMD motto!

But  cool choice/s! I'm looking at getting the new KH 1/32nd beast later in the year, I really do like these aircraft.

Well good luck with the build/s, I'let you know if I come across any other different scheme/users for you to add to this lot! :D

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'd be up for that.  It's a measure of how anti-social I am that when the lockdown happened, it did not have much of an impact on my life!  :D 

On that point, I for one am very thankful that I have this hobby.

• Like 3

I was under the impression that Broncos in Vietnam used two colour schemes; green/grey and overall grey.  

Having read the instructions for the decals I will be using, it turns out that is not so.  There were two different overall grey schemes.  So here is my list for this build:

USMC  VMO-6  "Cherry 6"   34097 Field Green / 36440 Light Gull Grey with white wing uppersurface    Quang Tri 1969

USN    VAL-4 "Black Ponies"   Overall 36440 Light Gull Grey   Bin Thuy  1972

USAF    19 TASS   Overall 36473 Aircraft Grey  with white wing uppersurface.  Bien Hoa  1969

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

USAF    19 TASS   Overall 36473 Aircraft Grey  with white wing uppersurface.  1969

If you're interested in a good read about the 19 TASS, pick up a copy of "A Lonely Kind of War" by Marshall Harrison.  Great insight into the life of a FAC!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uncletommy said:

If you're interested in a good read about the 19 TASS, pick up a copy of "A Lonely Kind of War" by Marshall Harrison.  Great insight into the life of a FAC!

Couldn't agree more, I have a copy and its a very good book.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

USMC  VMO-6  "Cherry 6"   34097 Field Green / 36440 Light Gull Grey with white wing uppersurface    Quang Tri 1969

USN    VAL-4 "Black Ponies"   Overall 36440 Light Gull Grey   Bin Thuy  1972

USAF    19 TASS   Overall 36473 Aircraft Grey  with white wing uppersurface.  Bien Hoa  1969

A great selection Enzo. 👍

• Like 1

Nice deals choice, I was looking at something similar but in 1/32nd........maybe not this year but I do have to get the new KH 1/32nd version though I can't seem to make my mind up for either the A/C or D model.

Looking forward to following these builds, many years ago I built the old Airfix model.......I remember the U/c legs bent really easily under the weight!!