1/48 Tamiya Mk V Tropical spitfire 417 squadron

Hi folks 

Here's my latest completion. Tamiya Tropical Spitfire in 48th scale. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Spitfire (ducks and runs for cover) as there are loads of other interesting and under represented aircraft from the second world war, but of all the Mark's the Tropical Mk V is my absolute favourite. 

Theres just something about that filter stuck on the front that makes it look like an absolute brute. 

Have to admit being a bit vain as went for AN T of 417 squadron, although in my defence I saw the image of this spit when I was a kid and loved it ever since. 

I am aware that there are a few bits that aren't historically accurate to the actual plane such as the size of the serial but I couldn't cut the stencils that small so I used images of other 417 birds that showed them bigger instead. 

I also noticed on images of 417 planes that they don't seem to have the walkway markings so this one doesnt have it either. 

A few extras on this build. 

Eduard cockpit set, quickboost prop and nose cone, quickboost exhausts and aftermarket wheels. 

I made the masks for the markings myself and they are all painted. 

Paints were mr hobby laquers, and tamiya. Weathered with abteilung oils and some dry pigments for the dust. 

Sorry for the waffle, on with the pictures!! 

20200811-223915.jpg

20200811-223922.jpg

20200811-223932.jpg

20200811-223948.jpg

20200811-223957.jpg

20200811-224007.jpg

20200811-224016.jpg

20200811-224029.jpg

20200811-224136.jpg

Edited by Antb
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Antb said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Spitfire (ducks and runs for cover)

I'll duck and run with you; probably farther than you. I've never even built one! Very well done model and display!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great tropical Spitfire !!

I'm in tropical Hurricane for the while, but you've re sparked my envy to make on of such birds !!

Congrats !!

CC

Thanks CC.

I do like the tropical hurricane, especially the mk 2.  I hear a new one is on the way soon. Might be a good one to pick up and build in the future for me. 

• Thanks 1