Tamiya 1/48 Sd.Kfz.251/1

Hi everyone,

This is my recently completed Tamiya 1/48 Mtl.SPW.Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.D or 'Hanomag' for short!

Another great kit in the Tamiya 1/48 range and a very satisfying though slightly stressful build at times. I didn't particularly consider the interior when purchasing the kit but ended up really enjoying it though it did take quite a lot of forethought in the building and painting stages. If your an interior person but can't bear the heartbreak of sealing it up then I thoroughly recommend a halftrack!

The kit comes with a whole sprue section of undesignated accessories and stowage so there is plenty of scope to personalize your build and lots of spares afterwards. I also used a couple of items from Redog and the roof tarp was made from an old tea towel soaked in white glue.

Painted with Vallejo acrylics and weathered with oils, Mig pigments and mud products. The camo pattern has become a bit 'lost' in the finished scheme after the weathering so will have to remember this for next time.

I think AFV Club do the Ausf.C version in 1/48 so I will have to make this as well...another one for the stash.

Thanks for looking

Best Wishes

Stuart

IMG_2815

IMG_2777

IMG_2781

IMG_2790

IMG_2794

IMG_2800

IMG_2816

IMG_2831

IMG_2819

IMG_2824

IMG_2828

• Like 17

Looks really good, great work, particularly on the weathering. 

The one and only 1/48 armour kit I've ever made was the Tamiya Sd.Kfz.250. Nice little kit, little being the term, its tiny, to tiny for my eyesight these days.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looks really good, great work, particularly on the weathering. 

The one and only 1/48 armour kit I've ever made was the Tamiya Sd.Kfz.250. Nice little kit, little being the term, its tiny, to tiny for my eyesight these days.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl for your comments. It's really appreciated.

I'd only made heavy tanks in 1/48 so far so yes, this one was a bit on the small side....I don't know how the 1/72 guys do it! I've started with 1/48 so I think I'll be sticking with it to keep everything in scale.

IMG_2834

Best Wishes

Stuart

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Neat work Stuart. I like the paint and weathering. Nice one.

John.

Thanks John for your kind comments. Glad you like it.

Best Wishes

Stuart

• Like 1

I keep on seeing these excellent afv's in 48 and this is certainly no exception. The "hand for scale" photo clearly demonstrates the subtle worn camo. Tamiya has always been a brand apart for me and i love them for carrying the Bandai torch. Only positive waves,

Cheers,

Ernst

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ernst said:

I keep on seeing these excellent afv's in 48 and this is certainly no exception. The "hand for scale" photo clearly demonstrates the subtle worn camo. Tamiya has always been a brand apart for me and i love them for carrying the Bandai torch. Only positive waves,

Cheers,

Ernst

Thanks for the positive waves Ernst.....we certainly don't need any more negative waves in the world at the moment. Oddball would approve :)

If you haven't tried a 1/48 then I certainly recommend giving one a go. They are a quick, simple build if you prefer spending time on painting/weathering but can always add some aftermarket extras if you want to take them to a  higher level....just look at one of 'Bullbasket's ' builds. Hopefully Mr Tamiya will keep making them. 

Have a look at the selection:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/48mm/kit32501.htm

Best Wishes

Stuart

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StuartH said:

If you haven't tried a 1/48 then I certainly recommend giving one a go. They are a quick, simple build if you prefer spending time on painting/weathering but can always add some aftermarket extras if you want to take them to a  higher level....just look at one of 'Bullbasket's ' builds. Hopefully Mr Tamiya will keep making them. 

I think I will after my stash is depleted, anything larger than a 1/35 panzer iv or sherman is too big for me. I just finished an lvtp7 which is basically a large tracked brick that seems to be more at home on tattooine than earth but the only interesting thing about it is the merdc camo pattern. Like most modern afv's they're just large smooth surfaces soo detail wise not much is lost to my modest standards. For me 48 scale would be the perfect trade off between detail and display space. Thanks for the link,

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Like 1