FW190 eduard 1:48 new mold .. or at least I think -FINISHED-

Hi everyone .
Here I am with a new project, one of the last kits from the Czech manufacturer dedicated to the Fw-190 a6, as the title suggests I think it is a new mold as I had another one (later sold) which if I remember correctly was different. .. but the way old age incipit so I can be wrong.
But let's come to us, the kit is a profipack so it has practically everything you need to bring out a model with a minimum of more detail.
The thing that attracted me is the  checkerboard on the bonnet.

Piloted by Lt. Heinz-Günther Lück, 1./JG 1, Deelen, Holland August 1943, this hi-viz checker board was abandoned when the P-47s appeared with the same coloration that at the beginning confused the anti-aircraft units.

The build will be OOB and I think to add only the cables of the motor which unfortunately is a bit too spartan.
BOX ART

spacer.png

COCKPIT

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
I used P.E. instead of painting the various pieces because in addition to being lazy (and the heat does not help), once the fuselage is closed there is very little to see so I was satisfied in this way, I also regretted having used the pedals in P.E. that I could have used for another model on which we remain more visible, but now it's done so that's okay.
For the colors I used the Gunze RLM66, with oil washes and drybrushes with the 175 Humbrol.
Cushion and seat were oil painted with a mix of alizarin red, Pozuoli red and pink ocher for the lights, same mix for the Revi pad, the dashboard lid edge will also receive the same color.

WINGS

This time I used a different method to join the wings to the fuselage as a plastering and sanding intervention would cause an inevitable loss of surface details, especially the hinges of the 30 mm wing cannon compartment so I proceeded in this way.
PHASE 1
After having glued and painted the details of the weel well, I glued the lower part of the wings by matching the lower part of the bonnet to the lower area of the wing dihedral (to say that the fitting is crazy, there is no need for putty "chapeau" to the Eduard ingeneers).

spacer.png

STEP 2
After inserting the lid of the guns, I aligned the rest of the upper wing and glued it (the design work is fantastic too) with the result that it looks like a single piece, no steps or cracks have formed to retouch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

PHASE 3
After one night to let everything dry I glued the rest of the wings.

spacer.png

For now, the whole model seems to me very promising, the fitting is perfect (the imperfections visible in the photos are due to my mistakes) the only drawback is the hood of the fuselage machine guns which in my kit was a little deformed but nothing irremediable with a little bit of MR Surfacer.

Edited by spartacus2000
  • Like 8

Hi everyone. Here some update
ENGINE
I complained about the lack of details in the engine area so equipped with patience, glasses and copper wire, I added the spark plug cables

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

colored in brown, cylinders and push rods in black, heads in aluminum

I also added the 0.8mm copper distribution ring.
However, all this work will remain hidden by the cooling fan so I work almost useless and I understand why Eduard has not wasted energy in detailing this area, leaving the modeller the choice to buy a super-detailed engine separately when he wants to leave it in sight.

PRESHADING

I did a search for color matching with the book that I have as a reference for the luftwaffe planes, that is the fantastic book of the Monogram dedicated with the 10x10 chips of the colors painted and not lithographed.
Among all the colors in my possession, the choice fell on the ModelMasters that are the most correct.
For the preshading I still used the Gunze: the Phthalo cyanne blue H322 for the main panels of the areas that will receive the RLM76, a mix of H322 and blue gray H42 to break up the monotony of the surfaces and gray FS36622 for the light areas and for the surfaces in RLM 76 and for those in RLM 74 and 75; for these two areas I used H68 and H69 respectively by Gunze + black in the mix to profile the main panels of the upper surfaces.

CAMO
As mentioned above, the colors of the camo are the ModelMaster, solvent-based colors no longer available in Italy of which I did a little stock before their withdrawal from the market.
I used their thinner but White Spirit is fine anyway, the dilution is 70% thinner 30% color, a mixture that allowed me to better manage the transparency of the preshading which is visible but not showy.

Here is the result

For now that's all I have to wait at least a day for the color to dry well and resume with the rest of the camo and the checkerboard: 🥶

• Like 3

1568/5000

Hi everyone .
Here are today's updates.
CHESS BOARD COMPLETED
spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided to use the masks instead of the decals as I am convinced of going less crazy so that with the positioning of the latter, in the front part of the hood I used the Tamiya tape as it is much more flexible than vinyl.
- SMALL TIP -
After placing the squares, I sprayed clear to seal the edges of the vinyl so that if there was any infiltration, it would be invisible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is the result, obviously there are some small imperfections especially in the machine gun area as the vinyl has lifted as I passed the black, but the retouches are very few

spacer.png

spacer.png

The yellow RLM 04 is also done.
Now I have to fix  some mottles on the fuselage and part of the camo on the right wing.
That's all for now

• Like 9

Thanks for the comments

@ luftmodels; I don't think I have understood your intervention well.

Anyway the cowling painting procedure was: 

1 white on all cowling

2 masking of the areas that should have remained white (in this case covered with black vinyl-the only color I've in this moment)

3 sealed the edges with clear

4 black on the uncovered areas

Good evening everyone.
Here are the Updates for today.
The time has come for the decals and unfortunately as I have already noticed with Eduard's kits this is the weak point of the Czech house, I have found a decisive step backwards since they no longer entrust this task to Cartograph, in fact they are difficult to position, very fragile and the color tends to flake off if the decal undergoes 2 or 3 folds and in this case some out of register.
All these problems forced me to design masks to make up for these shortcomings.
Here's how I came up with it anyway
spacer.pngspacer.png

The upper crosses were painted as the decals crumpled as soon as I tried to place them: -coccio

spacer.pngspacer.png

here, on the other hand, the black of the cross has detached due to a fold of the same fortunately the personal crest survived the displacement otherwise it would have been really difficult to reproduce Lucki

spacer.pngspacer.png

The Walkaways are out of register, even if just 1mm x1mm the white border is very visible; so ....

spacer.pngspacer.png

Custom mask and painting process
1 step flat clear to seal
2 step red Gunze

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

The final result is not excellent but I am satisfied as it remains in the window will not go to any contest

spacer.png

This is the end of the spinner on the ogive for which I put my hand to the pc and cut out the mask indeed 4 to be sure (then it will not be the last 190 of my life so it will be used in the future)

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Result

spacer.pngspacer.png
Even here it is not perfect but those who are satisfied enjoy .....

Edited by spartacus2000
  • Like 3

Hi everyone
I had a lot of fun with this kit.
The assembly did not reserve any particular surprises, the fitting is very good and in the Profi version there is everything you need to make a great model (not mine of course).
I washed with payne gray on the lower surfaces, for the upper ones I added Mars black to the mixture to bring up the main panels while I kept the mixture of the lower areas for the rest of the details.
I passed light glazes as a filter in payne gray + a touch of Paris blue for the lower surfaces and payne gray + gray (Lamp black + titanium white) for the upper areas.
Chipping is at a minimum.
PHOTO

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

See you on your next adventure ... I plan to make a Teutonic aircraft again

• Like 5