Dornier Do J Wal

Hi guys,

I hope you are all ok. The holiday has started and that in these strange times of Covid. Despite the warm weather I feel like starting a new project. I think it has become a somewhat unknown aircraft for you, but a familiar appearance for the Dutch model builder. It was the workhorse of the MLD in the Dutch East Indies and served for many years until the war in 1940. It became the Huma kit, but after studying the photos I soon found out that the model actually had to be completely adjusted and rebuild. Some more updates will follow soon. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have already partly adjusted the wing and fuselage. I will come back to the hull later. I made the wing from the top wing and made an underside for it myself. The underside of the wing in the kit is too thick and does not have the correct shape. I applied the Moa technique by pressing the ribs through on 0.25 mm thick evergreen plate with a ballpoint pen. I glued this plate onto a plate of 0.25 mm evergreen plate and reinforced it with various strips. All this glued together and the wing has the right shape. Now just widen a part so that the correct wingspan is reached. 

• Like 4

The type of Wal operated by the Dutch was the J Wal (as kitted by A-Model), not the JIl Wal, kitted by Huma, which was a complete re-design.The Jll was built in fairly small numbers and operated mainly by the Luftwaffe,why Huma kitted it. The J Wal was built in Italy, Holland and Spain, but not Germany,as they were forbidden to build large aircraft.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Roger. The Amodel kit is ok, but not that great. It also has its errors. If you have the choice, I would definitely choose the Amodel model and not the Huma version. But I still had this model in stock and I like a challenge. We will see.

Some more progress. The nose is a bit further designed to the J version. It is all still roughly set up, but for now this is enough to get started with the interior.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I'll be following with interest. I have the A Model one in my stash (which comes with 2 wing options to model both Dutch versions).

Last year I visited the Dornier museum in Friedrichshafen where they have a full-size Wal replica (and many other fascinating aircraft). It is a beautiful machine in the flesh..uh, metal.

IMG-20190620-145031.jpg

IMG-20190620-151238.jpg

IMG-20190620-150742.jpg

• Like 2