Revell 1/48 Consolidated SA-10A Catalina

Beautiful Catalina.

My 1/72 now sits on a stand due to undercarriage collapse too. The cat just needs too much weight to get it to sit on the nosewheel and plastic and glue isn't up to the job, especialy with the wide track.

• Like 1

Jon............this Catalina you built is breathtakingly beautiful!!!!! Not only have you conquered the difficulties of the dated molds but YOU PAINTED ALL OF THE MARKINGS AND LETTERING TO PERFECTION!!!!!!!!  I am not worthy!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

Way too beautiful to throw it away! Seeing your pics made me want to go full speed at my own 1/72 kit of the thing, even if I don't know where to put it when finished. Have to say the same words I told 'Miss Pick-Up's pilot when I had the opportunity to be on board "she's quite a beaut" -don't do it!

16 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Why not retract the gear? Flying boats look better on the water than on the ground, anyway. Waaaay too good to dispose of!

+1

• Like 1

That's an absolute beauty, I hope you find a way to sort it with or without the undercarriage. How about getting a custom display case and having it on show if there's room? I'm getting one made for my Halifax. Not cheap but i find it a shame to spend 100's of hours on a build only to shove it up in the rafters out of sight.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Here at Atelier DuVal our own beloved yearling cat had to be put down a few hours ago.  So much love and time invested and in the end... I don't wish such a fate on your lovely model.

ETA: it occurs to me that alternative nose-down measures (such as tying the nose gear down to a permanent base with thread) do exist and might be considered to prevent gear collapse on an otherwise gorgeous model.  It's too late here but if it save just one build, etc.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
thought of something perhaps helpful
  • Like 1

That's a beautiful model.

How about screwing it to a wall somewhere? The size issue fades a bit then, plus it's quite dramatic to display like that.

Add a related picture or two, a plan as a background or a badge here and there and you would be on the verge of having a Catalina room in your house. Not too many people can claim that!

Tony.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, JohnT said:

What the guys are saying above :ditto:

Its way too nice a model to have an ignominious fate. As they say there are options. One not suggested so far is do a diorama base of fairly still water as in her being moored up perhaps. 

Actually the stand isn’t such a bad idea either as you get to see more of the underside.

Perhaps one in robust clear perspex or similar. I know it’s a sickener when something like this happens but it looks very fixable and possibly even something you might turn to advantage. I do feel for you though as I watched an almost finished 1/48 C-130 try a maiden flight off the work top to disassemble itself on the hard landing and not necessarily into the parts Italeri designed. That really was beyond salvage. 

lovely finish on her Jon - I see the Duxford one fly over from time to time & I am always impressed by the size of her.

feel your pain John.  Built the Italeri 1/48 Herc, nose weight in, lights & motors.  The undercarriage can take the weight ok on that one.  Got the painting done & on final assembly when I turned her over & heard a nasty crack.  Wing spar gave way & the left wing dipped to the ground.  She survived thanks to superglue, but she is not very portable & very fragile!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

feel your pain John.  Built the Italeri 1/48 Herc, nose weight in, lights & motors.  The undercarriage can take the weight ok on that one.  Got the painting done & on final assembly when I turned her over & heard a nasty crack.  Wing spar gave way & the left wing dipped to the ground.  She survived thanks to superglue, but she is not very portable & very fragile!

Yep. That and I recall the fuselage seam split. 
Have another one in the stash and trying to decide if it goes in the early RAF scheme of browns and black underside or an Israeli scheme. 

I am pleased to hear you are finding ways of keeping the big Cat. Of course you could suggest to Mrs Jon that you could do as I did and replace it with a new one. HpH do one in 1/32 I hear :whistle:

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, SAT69 said:

Buy or build a stand that will properly display the model, or give it away if you're so inclined, but don't throw it away! It's much too beautiful to receive a fate like that. I'd really hate to see such hard work and wonderful results wasted. Personal opinion, sir, meant to compliment your skill.

My thoughts exactly.  

• Like 1

Sorry, but that is far too nice to give the old heave ho! Lovely looking model! That scheme could look garish but the weathering really tones it down. Impressed with the fact that there are no decals too.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, JohnT said:

I do feel for you though as I watched an almost finished 1/48 C-130 try a maiden flight off the work top to disassemble itself on the hard landing and not necessarily into the parts Italeri designed. That really was beyond salvage. 

It was actually the Italeri 1/48 C-130 that put me off big kits! I built one (an AC-130) in 1996. When I finished it the fuselage centreline seam split due to the weight of the wings and the insufficient wing spar...

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I am pleased to hear you are finding ways of keeping the big Cat. Of course you could suggest to Mrs Jon that you could do as I did and replace it with a new one. HpH do one in 1/32 I hear :whistle:

I don't care enough about Catalinas to consider that. The 1/48 B-52 on the other hand...😉

Jon

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

It was actually the Italeri 1/48 C-130 that put me off big kits! I built one (an AC-130) in 1996. When I finished it the fuselage centreline seam split due to the weight of the wings and the insufficient wing spar...

Jon

My fuselage seam is fine, and the wing spar survived so much abuse in test fitting everything, so I thought it would be fine.  I am tempted to use a fibre glass tent poles for future spars.  Nice & light, easy to cut, but takes a bit of bend as well.  I am building a vacform 1/48 Shackelton at some point (it’s in the stash) so will try it out then

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Hi Jon,

well, your "failure" looks better than my best efforts :D One suggestion regarding the stand, how about a clear acrylic trestle as Ken did for his An-124? Correctly positioned it could cure the tail-heaviness too:

I admire that you painted all the markings, something I'm drawn into more and more too. I guess you did all the masks yourself?

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Jon,

well, your "failure" looks better than my best efforts :D One suggestion regarding the stand, how about a clear acrylic trestle as Ken did for his An-124? Correctly positioned it could cure the tail-heaviness too:

I admire that you painted all the markings, something I'm drawn into more and more too. I guess you did all the masks yourself?

Cheers

Markus

I am going to have a simple stand. It's too big for a display cabinet, so it will sit on top and get dusty, but still be on show :)

Yes, I did design all the masks myself. I use Inkscape to draw them and then a Silhouette cutter to make them.

Thanks

Jon

• Thanks 1