Jolly Homecoming. 1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat VF-84 ODS Fly-in.

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!

ODS fly in.... very interesting, although the Tomcat was relegated to CAP  duties over the carriers  no?

Mostly. This scheme was applied only for the homecoming. And it was stripped bare, including the palettes. 

On 8/15/2020 at 12:37 AM, Shin said:

dang were you building this and the 1/72 concurrently? good work again. 

Actually no, I started the VF-1 bird months ago and then went on a work trip. I had everything done but the final Dullcote and weathering to finish. So I did that and jumped right into this one. This build took five days. 

Hi! Well, I’ve worked out a system with Tomcats. I preshade as usual,  it I add random, quick sprays of black all over the surfaces. The wings, fuselage, tails, everywhere. Then I basecoat, and then I postshade with a lighter shade of the basecoat. For this one, the color is FS36440 light gull gray. So I add a few drops of FS36495 light gray and I post shade along the panel lines where corrosion control would have sprayed. Then I decal, wash, and add the first Dullcote. I then weather with my Tamiya weathering sets. I pick panels to lighten, or darken. For the wings, I sweep them back, mask off where they touch the fuse, and then rub those areas. For the streaks it’s easy. Just put the swab next to the fuse joint, press down and open up the wings. Presto! Instant curves streaks. 
then I sea it all with another Dullcote. 
hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

That's an awesome step-by-step description of your workflow.  I need to "bookmark" these instructions for my next  gull gray/ white Tomcat.  I'm thinking the next one will be this F-14D -

spacer.png

{US Navy Photo}

Quick question #1 - What do you mean by "Tamiya weathering sets?"  Do you mean their powders?

Quick question #2 - What are you "streaking" with for the wing sweep streaks?  The Tamiya weathering powders?

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, John B said:

That's an awesome step-by-step description of your workflow.  I need to "bookmark" these instructions for my next  gull gray/ white Tomcat.  I'm thinking the next one will be this F-14D -

spacer.png

{US Navy Photo}

Quick question #1 - What do you mean by "Tamiya weathering sets?"  Do you mean their powders?

Quick question #2 - What are you "streaking" with for the wing sweep streaks?  The Tamiya weathering powders?

spacer.png

Just hold the applicator on the wing and open it up. Presto! Instant radial streaking! 

• Like 1