F3H-2 Demon

Good day to all,

This is number seven for the year, the Sword F3H Demon.  Here are the highlights I found of the kit...............

1. The kit is tricky to assemble.  I spent considerable time dry fitting before applying glue and bonding parts and sections together.

2. I added metal and brass rod to shore up and strengthen major sections such as the wings to the fuselage, landing gear, horizontal stabilizers, and weapons pylons.  

3. There are no alignment pins for the fuselage and the ones for the wings, pylons, horizontal stabilizers, and landing gear are lacking Or insignificant at best.  

4. Plumbers putty and small lead fishing sinkers were used as ballast to keep the Demon sitting properly.

5. Decals were excellent.

6. Care needs to be exercised when snipping parts off of the sprue trees as the individual parts are numbered on the instruction sheet and NOT the sprue tree.  

7. I broke the photo etched leading edge wing fences numerous times and had to fabricate one as it turned up missing.  I also broke the starboard horizontal stabilizer twice during handling.

8. Weathered using washes, pencils, and paint.  Post shading process used.

9. Colors used :

A. Mission Models US Camouflage Grey FS36622. #MMP-095 ( base upper surface color )

B. Mission Models Lt Gull Grey FS16440 #MMP-069 ( used as the darker panel lines ) 

C. Mission Models White

D. AK Extreme Burnt Metal for the section aft of the exhaust nozzle

E. Tamiya Titanium Silver X-32 for the metal undersides and leading edge of the horizontal stabilizers. 

F. Tamiya Gun Metal X-10 for exhaust nozzle highlighted with Polly Scale Burnt Aluminum

G. Tamiya Chrome Silver X-11 for the intake leading edge

H. Model Master Dark Gull Grey for the cockpit

I. Misc : Flat Black, Insignia Red, Clear Red, Clear Green, Gloss Black, Radome Tan, and Yellow in various sections

All comments are most welcomed.  Thank you in advance.  

Respectfully submitted,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is a view of the upgraded landing gear.  I drilled holes and inserted a small brass rod for additional support.  I also drilled through a scrap piece ( blue colored part ) to use as a sleeve for the nose gear to provide added support and strength as well.  Originally, gear did not come in contact with the base of the gear well.  I felt this needed to be added to help support the airframe with the additional ballast weight inserted into the nose section.

spacer.png

Here is one of the upgraded pylons.  I did this same method for all four pylons and similar procedures for the wings and horizontal stabilizers.  NOTE : The lacking alignment pins on the second pylon.

spacer.png

• Like 38

Nice work, I built the Emhar effort last year, Sword seems to have copied the canopy from it. The aft section is wrong. Hobby boss got it right. Good to see these neglected 50’s types. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Nice model of an aircraft from an interesting period of USN Naval Aviation - your Demon looks great in VF31 markings with Felix the Cat - Cutlass & Skyray look good too

• Thanks 1

Superb job Mike

7 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Weathered using washes, pencils, and paint.  Post shading process used

Your post shading technique is something to behold, the Demon really looks the part. Wonderful finish.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

Very nice! Those early Navy jets were quite attractive, weren’t they?

Yes they are Bill.  Thank you for the nice commentary!!!!

9 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Nice work, I built the Emhar effort last year, Sword seems to have copied the canopy from it. The aft section is wrong. Hobby boss got it right. Good to see these neglected 50’s types. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the very nice compliment!!!!!!

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice model of an aircraft from an interesting period of USN Naval Aviation - your Demon looks great in VF31 markings with Felix the Cat - Cutlass & Skyray look good too

Thank you very much!!!!!

5 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Unusual model airccraft with nice and subtile weathering, looks great in the low-viz scheme!

Thank you Roman.  I am honored to be lauded from someone as skilled as you are.  Much appreciated!!!!!

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Superb job Mike

Your post shading technique is something to behold, the Demon really looks the part. Wonderful finish.

Cheers

Pete

Thank you very much Pete.  I`m pleased that you like it.  

Thank you again to all for the very nice comments!!!!!! :D

Mike

A really beautiful Demon!

One can see how big it is when compared to the other contemporaries.

Great show.

JR

• Thanks 1

Very nice work, most impressive. Thanks for your comment insight into the difficult areas of the kit. I am considering starting mine soon but I have some trepidations particularly the Etch wing fences.

Cheers Allan 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautifully built and painted. You overcame the difficulties and produced a masterpiece!

How very kind of you SAT69.  THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love it, that's a very cool build!

Thank you F-32.  I`ve always had a soft spot for the Demon since I first became interested in airplanes. 

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent looking Demon, fine build and finish !

Wulfman

Thank you Wulfman!!!!! :D

2 hours ago, jean said:

A really beautiful Demon!

One can see how big it is when compared to the other contemporaries.

Great show.

JR

THANK YOU JR!!!!!!  

52 minutes ago, almac said:

Very nice work, most impressive. Thanks for your comment insight into the difficult areas of the kit. I am considering starting mine soon but I have some trepidations particularly the Etch wing fences.

Cheers Allan 

Thank you Allan.  It is by no means an easy kit but it will be more than worthwhile for you once completed.  I`ve always wanted a Demon on my shelf in 72nd scale.  I figured I give the Sword kit a try because the Emhar offering was a bit too crude for my liking.  I do have a second Sword Demon in the unbuilt collection that I hope to compliment this one with. 

Thanks again to all!!!!!!:clap2:

Mike

• Like 2

Very nice Demon - how did you find the Mission Models paint? I tried it and found that without the polyurethane additive it just rubbed off with a damp cloth and with the additive it clogged the airbrush!!

Pat

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pat C said:

Very nice Demon - how did you find the Mission Models paint? I tried it and found that without the polyurethane additive it just rubbed off with a damp cloth and with the additive it clogged the airbrush!!

Pat

Pat,

For the most part, I have had a good experience with Mission Models but on occasion, I too, have experienced some of the same problems.  I always use a primer on my models before applying paint.  At times, finding the right consistency for proper flow through the airbrush could be a problem.  Again, for the most part, Mission Models is pretty good but it does have issues every now and then. While superior, I would rather avoid the heavy use of lacquer based paints.  

I hope this helps and thank you for the nice comment!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Nice one, Mike! Looks like the Sword kit is just as difficult, in many ways, than the Emhar kit. That's a very nice trio, too! Tamiya Ford and Fujimi gutless Cutlass?

Mike

Thank you Mike!!!!  Yes, that is the Tamiya Skyray ( excellent kit by the way ) and the old Fujimi gutless Cutlass.  

Ooooh great idea, Demons are underrepresented on modelling table...

Eye catcher for sure, then I also love the "Felix" matkings !!

Great Cutlass and Skyray too !!

Congratulations !

CC

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Nice one, Mike! Looks like the Sword kit is just as difficult, in many ways, than the Emhar kit. That's a very nice trio, too! Tamiya Ford and Fujimi gutless Cutlass?

Mike

Gutless Cutlass, Poor Cutlass !!

Go wash your mouth at naughty corner...:cheers:

Oh , sorry we already are there together !!:rofl2:

CC

• Haha 3