FW200 Condor "Scourge of the Atlantic" Classic Kit

I had had this kit longer than I can remember, so The Maritime Patrol and Coastal Command GB offered the perfect opportunity to finally build / finish it.

The Work in Progress build thread is below

These old kits can still provide a lot a lot of enjoyment. Pictures of the completed build below.

Let me know what you think

Cheers Pat

IMG_4341

IMG_4340

IMG_4339

IMG_4338

IMG_4337

IMG_4336

IMG_4335

IMG_4334

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

My gosh that kit goes back a ways. I remember it from my distant ... very distant ... youth. The box art stirred a memory for sure. Your model looks very good. 

• Thanks 1

It looks great Pat. Very nostalgic indeed.

That's the first time I've seen the old Revell kit built up. I wasn't aware of the rather make do bomb carrying arrangement underwing either.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

O well, the good old Revell FW 200 - what a struggle with the landing gear and my limited modelling skills back in 1968! You've done a fabulous job of bringing life to this venerable kit.

• Thanks 1

Good to see the old kit built again. I built it in the 80's. Always remember the Titanic size rivets. Even so it was one of my favorite models. In fact it was the first kit I built back then. My wife and I went to a toy shop to get something for the birth of my first daughter.  I got that while I was there.

I also bought one on Ebay a few years ago just for old times sake. I still have it.

• Like 1

I think one of these whacked into a mountain on the Dingle Peninsula above the town of Cloghane way back when.  There's a fine pub (O'Connor's) there that still has one of its motors out front.  The story goes that one of the survivors who was sent to the POW camp, his son ended up a pilot flying for Aer Lingus.  

• Like 2

Looks fine and yes the box art! The other older H- boxart looks also great. Built this one  roundabout  40 years ago.and messed a bit with the u/c struts.  A real oldie but looks like a Condor in the end. Fine memories.

Cheers

• Like 2

Remember it well from many years ago. I loved the Heath Robinson undercarriage that looked as if it had malfunctioned half way through the cycle, I could put up with the rivets but what I struggled with and, to my teenage brain, spoilt the look of the whole thing were the guns in the top side turrets. I say 'Gun' more like out of scale plastic rod. No detail and were more akin to 155mm Howitzers. Little, if any, aftermarket in those days of course...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

I think one of these whacked into a mountain on the Dingle Peninsula above the town of Cloghane way back when.  There's a fine pub (O'Connor's) there that still has one of its motors out front.  The story goes that one of the survivors who was sent to the POW camp, his son ended up a pilot flying for Aer Lingus.  

In fact all six crew survived to be the first aircrew  of any side to be interned in Ireland during the war. Never knew that about the son being in Aer Lingus. 

I remember that kit too. My friend had one. I was jealous. That's a very nice build. Just shows that with real modelling skills any kit can look  great. Nice one Pat.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SAT69 said:

My gosh that kit goes back a ways. I remember it from my distant ... very distant ... youth. The box art stirred a memory for sure. Your model looks very good. 

Thanks very much, it's certainly a golden oldie according to Scalemates it's from 1965 (An exceptional year in my opinion ;)) my boxing dates from 1971.

What I didn't know till I built this kit was that it was made in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire !

17 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

You achieved outstanding results especially with the dated nature of the kit and molds.  Well done Pat!!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks very much Mike, glad you like it.

Cheers Pat

Fantastic wonderful.  Can’t remember where I park the car but can remember exact place I bought the exact same boxing circa 1973!! Thought it was so exotic and that I was really moving “up market”.  Thanks for the wonderful Entertaining build and memory!

• Thanks 1

Sad to say, that box art rings quite a few bells for me too. 🤨

You have achieved a heck of a lot with that.

Had I built the same kit, way back when, it certainly would not have turned out as nice as that!

:clap2::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Cripes, one from the olden days, I was a year & a half younger when you did that & hadn't heard of Covid any darn thing & the world was a sweeter & better place where dreams were only reined in by lack of finances & her indoors. :(

That did come up rather well Pat. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1