1/20 Ebbro Lotus 48B

I built this kit simultaneous to the Fujimi Porsche 356 I just posted thinking the Lotus F1 would the “easier one” to relax on between the fiddle sessions with the 356. Boy was I ever wrong! Both kits were challenging but the Fujimi parts fit together for the most part. At least this Ebbro Lotus kit was never boring!  It was helpful for me to vent my frustrations on this 49B build in the WIP section here, thank you to all who posted words of encouragement. 

Despite my assembly gripes, I must say Ebbro did a great job capturing the dramatic “missile” proportions of this early attempt at introducing downforce. I also give Ebbro credit for producing these late 60’s F1 subjects. Please please Ebbro (or Tamiya?) do a 1/20 ‘67 Gurney Weslake Eagle (even if the parts don’t always fit together!)

Thanks for looking!

John
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

This looks really great John. I'm totally with you on the quirks of Ebbro assembly, but like this build shows, the end result is worth it. The extra detail you've added really pays off as well - can I ask what you are using for the seat belts? They look way better than the Tamiya photoetch ones I've been using.

Hey GT,

Thank you for thumbs up. The seat harness I used are from tunermodelmanufactory.com, item # 12M-5002-B. I bought this seat harness a few years ago and can’t recall if they were an eBay purchase or directly from the manufacturer. The fabric material comes as a large sheet that you cut strips in the desired width. I cut mine about 3 mm or the upper belts and 2 mm for the two lower leg loops. The fabric has an adhesive backing but it doesn’t adhere well (or even glue) to plastic/ painted surfaces so I doubled over each strip (adhesive to adhesive sides) and then glued the strips with the PE pieces installed directly to the seat insert using CA. It can also be glued using Tamiya solvent adhesive or the Testors clear water based plastic adhesive (used for clear window bonding). The thing I like  about this fabric is that it is much thinner, more compliant and more realistic looking than other fabric seat belt products I’ve used as well as more realistic than the Tamiya paper belts. Hope this helps!

John

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Just checked eBay, these harness kits run about $10-$12 USD + shipping from China. When I ordered mine, they only had black but it looks like many other colors are available now. The PE supplied is only enough for two harnesses but theres enough fabric for many more and you can probably use this material with your Tamiya harness PE. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice build here, lots of detail expertly captured and you would never in a million years guess that the suspension put up so much resistance. And particularly that rear wing has an authentically flimsy appearance to it - you can see why the crashes as Montjuich(sp?) Park happened.

That's a proper job John. Lovely finish & I wouldn't have known it was a bit of a wrestling match to build.

As you said, kudos to Ebbro for their choices. Whoever thought we'd have injection moulded Lotus 49s, 72s & JYS Tyrrells in 1/20th? I also agree about them capturing the shape and sit of these magical cars.

I have quite a few Ebbro F1 kits in the stash but haven't plucked up the courage yet. Your build has made me bump my '67 Lotus 49 to the top of the pile. Now, I have the kit, Indycals for Graham Hill's '68 Spanish GP winner and I'm all out of excuses. Don't hold your breath though!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Glad to hear my 49B build has been a motivator in starting your 49 build. The classic green/ yellow 49 is my favorite of Ebbro’s Lotus 49 series and I’ve held off wanting to “learn” on this now crazy $$$ kit (+$200USD on eBay these days). Looking forward to watching your progress and results here.

A bit of warning on Indycals: the few times I’ve used their product on my other 1/20 builds (Lotus 77, WR1, 312T3), I have found them to be extremely delicate and easy to damage. I’m also not crazy about having to individually hand cut each decal which is disappointing for the high price they charge. In comparison, the Ebbro decals are pre-cut, much more durable to handle and lay down really nicely. The trade-off is the omission of the tobacco sponsor which, in the case of the 49B “Gold Leaf” markings, is a very minor issue due to their small size and the cooling line on the left side of the tub.
John

On 8/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, nearsightedjohn said:

Hi Phil,

Glad to hear my 49B build has been a motivator in starting your 49 build. The classic green/ yellow 49 is my favorite of Ebbro’s Lotus 49 series and I’ve held off wanting to “learn” on this now crazy $$$ kit (+$200USD on eBay these days). Looking forward to watching your progress and results here.

It's going to take me a while to get started on it John but it has to be done! I bought one when it was first released then a 2nd one when they started to disappear. One will be Jim Clark's green & yellow 'un from Monza '67 - perhaps his greatest race.

The other is the one I'll start first. Graham Hill's '68 Spanish GP winner. A lot of historical importance for me. It was the first GP after Jimmy was killed, the first GP carrying commercial sponsorship on the car & the last race before the 49 became the 49B. Incidentally, I believe for this race only, the Players cigarette sailor picture logo was carried but the CSI (now FIA) disapproved -hence the Union flags on your car!

A bit of warning on Indycals: the few times I’ve used their product on my other 1/20 builds (Lotus 77, WR1, 312T3), I have found them to be extremely delicate and easy to damage. I’m also not crazy about having to individually hand cut each decal which is disappointing for the high price they charge.

Thanks for the heads-up on Indycals. I've heard the same elsewhere so I'll be very careful. I guess its the price of computer-printed decals but Indycals range is superb. Their prices seem pretty good to me and I know their shipping is very reasonable & their service is great.

Graham's 49 will be partnered in time by Damon Hill's '94 Spanish GP winner - the first Williams winner after Ayrton Senna was killed. It'll be my tribute to Hill father & son who both carried their team out of tragedy to become world champion. Character was definitely passed down in the Hill family.

Sorry for the rambling reply. Didn't mean to distract from your lovely build.

Phil.