Fujimi Porsche 356

This is my first attempt at one of the holy grails of 1/24 scale auto kits, the Fujimi Porsche 356 Carrera 2 Coupe. Amazing tooling! Amazing kit! It goes together very much like an actual 356. Unfortunately I have zero experience working on the 1:1 car so I stumbled in multiple ways throughout this build. I purchased this kit at a model swap meet a few years ago in a sealed box unaware that the one-piece window molding was split down the center of both front and rear windows. I have several other versions of the Fujimi 356 in my stash and so I decided to sacrifice this coupe as a learning exercise. I scratch built replacement windows using Evergreen .005” thick clear styrene sheet, the four flat cut pieces bonded to the inside of the body behind each frame using Tamiya extra thin cement. Jameston at Scalefinishes.com mixed the “champagne yellow” base paint for me (he does great custom base paints for model cars for very reasonable charge). Tamiya TS-13 clear coated was applied over the base yellow, otherwise Tamiya acrylics were airbrushed for the other colors other than Alclad over black lacquer for the bare metal components. I used the existing chrome plated parts for the wheels, wheel covers and external components. These Fujimi 356 wheels are the best I’ve ever seen in any auto kit. One of the biggest errors I committed in this build is a misalignment between the engine and transmission -I think others have recommended bonding engine to transmission before mating both to the chassis which I failed to do. The next time I build one of these, I will definitely need to do more dry fitting of the engine/ trans + chassis + rear suspension + Rear wheels + body to better control alignment of everything.

In summary, this was a very fun and challenging build of a kit that, in my opinion, just looks right relative to the real “bathtub Porsche”. As always, I welcome any questions, comments or suggestions.
John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 23

That is simply lovely, and the colour suits it perfectly! Really gorgeous model!

I've got one of these in the 'get to one day' pile and was thinking of building it as an 'outlaw', but seeing how nice yours looks I think I'll reconsider that!

Beautiful work!

Keith

That looks amazing, having seen the Revell 1:16 356 built up this looks like a much more detailed model.  I'm very fond of the 356 so I'll have to keep a look out for one of these to add to my stash.