1/72 De Havilland Dominie (Dragon Rapide) "Merlin V" FAA air ambulance, crashed 1946 Scafell Pike (Heller etc.)

9 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Find a roll up smoker and cadge a cigarette paper off them:

0250-A7-D5-0811-4844-900-A-7-A0722018-B7

Crumpled up and tied with invisible thread, chopped up and teased out.

Regards,

Adrian

Brilliant! Much stronger than tissue but still very thin. Genius!

They look fantastic @AdrianMF, very effective!

I might be able to save myself the trouble though... I've been poring over the one existing photograph of Merlin V, and there's a pretty good view of the windows, with a clear view to the other side and uninterrupted views of the window framing. I think it's possible. even likely, that there were no curtains on this one>

spacer.png

• Like 2

Boy Tony that is warped! I had a friend(no longer with us) who was in the RAF and flew Mosquitos but he told me that the Dragon Rapid was his favorite plane to fly. He also survived a crash due to engine failure while flying the mosquito.   

George.

• Like 2

This morning's extremely faffy job has been to scratch a cabin rear bulkhead from plastic card, largely by trial and error. I've made a bit of a job for myself in that I extended the cabin floor and dremelled out the guide tabs inside the fuselage to accommodate it, the placement has to be "just so". I think it will work but it's all gone to have to be fairly precise and I don't fancy forcing anything once the cabin has been finished, I think it will be quite delicate.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Further faffage while opening up the door aperture... I expected to have to fill the corner where the aft part of the window is in the kit (the modified door on this a/c had only a little square window on the right hand section), but I made an absolute pig's diddy of this, took it way too large meaning I'm having to build up the bottom section to the right size and shape with a sliver of spare fuselage. Once all the glue has cured I'll tidy it up but filling and sanding it all flush is going to be a challenge.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Easily done :( how about some sections of styrene strip to make good? Mr Dissolved Putty might be a good option to fill in afterwards, especially as it can be cleaned back with some Mr Thinner on a cloth or cotton bud without having to sand.

She's coming together very nicely, Tony!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks @Johnson. People talk about “mindful” activities and I have to say this silly little plastic plane is helping me through a tough time.

The snapped fuselage was a an easy fix, though I will try to be more careful in future… 

• Like 3

The chrome window surrounds from Arctic Decals are quite lovely, so much that it will be a shame to spray them white! As I noted further up the WIP in real life these stood only 8mm proud of the fuselage = about a tenth of a mm to scale, but they were a distinctive feature of the type. In the pic above it's pretty clear that they were painted white on this a/c - also that (as I suspected) the little square window on the raft part of the extended door didn't have the surround. I figured that this would have had to have been custom made to size and nobody would have bothered. It'll be interesting to see what these bring to the model once painted over.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Among the trials and tribulations in this build its shaping up well.

By the way, the Tasman kit looks like you received a crash in a box.

• Haha 2

Good recovery on the three-part fuselage Tony!

I remember when Moa did one of these he scored some ribs in 5 thou card and stuck it all along the top of the fuselage for a very nice result. I had tucked that one away to cover that ‘orrible wing seam on the top. Just putting it out for you to consider, although you have probably already spotted it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

although you have probably already spotted it.

I have Adrian. Bit of a masterclass that one. I have it in mind to put a ceiling in. Unfortunately my little Drag Rap is going to hit the buffers again due to an imminent house move. No rush though! 😁

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

G'day, you blokes!

I'm not the one who sent the Dali-esque kit way back when. I'm looking for two Rapide kits to be part of a diorama for a new museum, which is preserving the history of a 1930s to late 1950s pioneer of commercial aviation in the State of New South Wales, Australia. That's where Sydney is. The man was Arthur Butler. He got his celebrity status when he flew a Comper Swift from England to Australia in 9 days 1 Hour, setting a still-standing record. But he had been involved in commercial aviation here before that, and in the 30s was part of the Empire Mail Service between Australia and England. In the late 30s through to the late 50s he commenced and expanded passenger and freight services throughout western NSW, fist using Rapides then after WWII using Ansons and DC-3s before going bit into Vickers Viscounts.

So, following this thread will give me the leads I need to fit out my models as passenger aircraft. I was expecting to use Airfix kits, but you mention Heller and Tasman. But looking at the kits, they are Rapides. Is there any difference in appearance between a Dragon and Dragon Rapide?

Cheers,

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

The Airfix Dragon Rapide is the Heller kit.

The Dragon Rapide has a fuselage with a longer more pointy nose

The D/R has longer tapering wings, vs the parallel square tipped of the Dragon

Wheels are faired into the engines on the D/R

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Looks like I will have to clip the wings of a Rapide (8 inches in real life) and scratch build the U/C. Also, it looks like the windows are different between the two.

You should start your own thread about this

Discussing yours on here is known as 'hi-jacking a thread'

Not the best form

21 hours ago, old man emu said:

Is there any difference in appearance between a Dragon and Dragon Rapide?

I've got a vague idea that a kit exists for the Dragon (a quick look shows Rug Rat Resins, but whether you can get one?)  My understanding is that the two are rather more different than a simple "clip the wings and modify the gear".

Don't be offended by Black Knight's unnecessarily blunt but basically accurate advice.  In fact, a bit of searching might show a thread talking about how the two aircraft differ.

bob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnson said:

It's easy to get enthusiastic and ask lots of questions, 

You British and Europeans are blessed with vast variety of kit subjects to choose from, as well as those extras that raise a it model from very good to great.  To be historically accurate for a museum piece I was searching for a Dragon, but could only find Rapides. But here is the great advantage of a forum like this. In writing this post, I had to go back and check the photographs in my reference books. There I found that Butler Air Transport did actually use Rapides. Several photographs show the aircraft without wheel fairings. Perhaps they were removed because the aircraft were operating off  rough strips, not grassy meadows.

So as not to clog up this thread, I think Mohammad might go to the Mountain - I'll PM Tony OD.

OME

Edited by old man emu