Trying to wrap my Yank head around MRP RAF Colors

Cameron Lynch

So I'm a recent Mr. Paint convert, and am stocking up on some colors for potential RAF projects...and am getting a headache trying to figure out some of the MRP RAF colors and where they were used.  I haven't been able to find anything on the web that lays out all the BS colors and their appropriate uses.

MRP-372 Gripen Grey?  Is this even an RAF color?

MRP-373 BS626 Camouflage grey  Is this the Typhoon color?

MRP-374 BS627 Light Aircraft grey 2nd Typhoon color?

MRP-375 BS629 Dark Camouflage grey  Is this the grey topside color on 70s/80s Phantoms/Buccaneers/Harriers/Jaguars/Tornados?

MRP-376 BS220 Olive Green  Green topside for Phantoms/Buccaneers/Harriers/Jags/Tornados?

MRP-377 BS389 Hemp Late Victors?

MRP-378 BS360 Deep Buff  WTF?  Is this an RAF color?

MRP-379 BS697 Light Admiralty Grey  RN color?  Use?  Looks almost like the light blue on the F-4J(UK)

MRP-380 BS633 RAF Blue Grey  Use?

MRP-381 BS285 NATO Green  Topside of Harrier GR5?

MRP-382 BS284 Spruce Green Bottom of Harrier GR5?

MRP-383 BS693 Aircraft Grey  Use?

I appreciate you guys spreading a little knowledge on an ignorant Yank.  Thanks!

372: Not and raf colour is the lighter grey used on the underside of saab gripens

373: Correct, also used on grey ADV tornados and phantoms 

374: No, used on british manufactured missles like the ASRAAM (but not american made ones like AMRAAM) and used to be an underside color in several raf schemes 

375: No, used on the low vis grey scheme on the tornado, harrier, jaguer from the 90's to the mid 00's as the underside colour

376: No, Some helicopters were painted that shade

377: Correct

378:  No idea might be an armour colour 

379: Admiralty colour, no idea of its use, its not the phantom blue though

380: Correct, think its was used on some helicopters and vehicles 

381: Correct

382: Not correct, correct colour is on a different colour standard and called lichen green, no idea of any use of spruce green

383: Again no idea of what it was ever used for 

I can only answer some of your questions, but here goes.  The camouflage of the 70s and 80s was Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey.  Hemp was indeed used on Victors and Nimrods.  The F-4J(UK) were painted in a US colour called Flint Gray.  I believe the Camouflage Grey was what replaced this scheme, and it was initially known as Barley Grey (after the designer). together with Medium Sea grey and (llater?)  Dark Camouflage Grey.  After this I'm afraid I didn't try to follow the variegated greys in use.

RAF Blue Grey as the standard colour for RAF vehicles until they all went common-use Nato Green.

Some more info: 633 RAF Blue Grey was the colour used on FAA Wessex and Sea King helicopters and the COD Gannet variant.

Light Admiralty Grey was sometime used for wheel wells and other interior areas, IIRC on the Buccaneer.

Not RAF but it was also the colour used by the SAAF for the lower surfaces of aircraft with green/sand uppers. And 630 Deep Buff was the sand used in that scheme

19 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

So I'm a recent Mr. Paint convert, and am stocking up on some colors for potential RAF projects...and am getting a headache trying to figure out some of the MRP RAF colors and where they were used.  I haven't been able to find anything on the web that lays out all the BS colors and their appropriate uses.

MRP-372 Gripen Grey?  Is this even an RAF color?

MRP-373 BS626 Camouflage grey  Is this the Typhoon color?

MRP-374 BS627 Light Aircraft grey 2nd Typhoon color?

MRP-375 BS629 Dark Camouflage grey  Is this the grey topside color on 70s/80s Phantoms/Buccaneers/Harriers/Jaguars/Tornados?

MRP-376 BS220 Olive Green  Green topside for Phantoms/Buccaneers/Harriers/Jags/Tornados?

MRP-377 BS389 Hemp Late Victors?

MRP-378 BS360 Deep Buff  WTF?  Is this an RAF color?

MRP-379 BS697 Light Admiralty Grey  RN color?  Use?  Looks almost like the light blue on the F-4J(UK)

MRP-380 BS633 RAF Blue Grey  Use?

MRP-381 BS285 NATO Green  Topside of Harrier GR5?

MRP-382 BS284 Spruce Green Bottom of Harrier GR5?

MRP-383 BS693 Aircraft Grey  Use?

I appreciate you guys spreading a little knowledge on an ignorant Yank.  Thanks!

Maybe not a straight answer to your question, but MRP has many more British colours. I made this sublist using the 400 colour list:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mrp-list-uk.htm

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Some more info: 633 RAF Blue Grey was the colour used on FAA Wessex and Sea King helicopters and the COD Gannet variant.

Light Admiralty Grey was sometime used for wheel wells and other interior areas, IIRC on the Buccaneer.

Not RAF but it was also the colour used by the SAAF for the lower surfaces of aircraft with green/sand uppers. And 630 Deep Buff was the sand used in that scheme

Light Admiralty Grey was also used as an upper surface camouflage color in RAN FAA A-4G Skyhawks, but also more commonly in British wheel wells as Giorgio has said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles81 said:

Light Admiralty Grey was also used as an upper surface camouflage color in RAN FAA A-4G Skyhawks, but also more commonly in British wheel wells as Giorgio has said.

and BS693 Aircraft Grey (MRP-383) was the other colour of the camouflage used on RAN Skyhawks towards the end of their career. So the two colours, Light Admiralty Grey and Aircraft Grey, were employed in a wraparound scheme illustrated in the colour photo at the bottom of this page.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

379: Admiralty colour, no idea of its use, its not the phantom blue though

Lt Admiralty Gray is also the hull color for Royal Navy warships.  I bought it for use when I build the Cyber-Hobby HMS Illustrious.

Later,

Dave

Deep Buff Cream (a sort of yellow colour) was used on Firefly drones in conjunction with a red, not apparently included in the MRP range.  Also occasionally seen on other second-line aircraft (Meteors spring to mind).

Edit: failing memory.  Was thinking of Deep Cream, which does not feature in OP's MRP list.  Thanks to  @JosephLalorfor putting me straight.

Edited by Seahawk

26 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Deep Buff (a sort of yellow colour) was used on Firefly drones in conjunction with a red, not apparently included in the MRP range.  Also occasionally seen on other second-line aircraft (Meteors spring to mind).

I've a suspicion that might be Deep Cream.  Deep Buff was the sand used along with Olive Drab on the upper surfaces of SAAF Mirage F1s.  The red I recall was Post Office Red, now called Cherry Red I believe.  Deep Buff was in the De Bens  Industries range;  indeed I still have a bottle of it.

12 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I've a suspicion that might be Deep Cream.  Deep Buff was the sand used along with Olive Drab on the upper surfaces of SAAF Mirage F1s.  The red I recall was Post Office Red, now called Cherry Red I believe.  Deep Buff was in the De Bens  Industries range;  indeed I still have a bottle of it.

Suspect no more.  I believe you to be absolutely right.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, Roland Pulfrew said:

Lots of useful advice on colours and their correct usage over on IPMS Stockholm  Not sure if it’s been updated

I've left the last MRP bit off because it hasn't been updated for some time already.

Yes, it's a very good starting point, but more recent brands or series from existing manufacturers are not included. 

Take the reference in many of those guides to Polly Scale - a range which was stopped in 2013. 

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I've left the last MRP bit off because it hasn't been updated for some time already.

Yes, it's a very good starting point, but more recent brands or series from existing manufacturers are not included. 

Take the reference in many of those guides to Polly Scale - a range which was stopped in 2013. 

True, but this includes some of the more recent manufacturers.