Can Vallejo thinned be used on tamiya

Scale_modeller123

You posted this in Help & Support, which has a BIG red sign at the top saying it's for site help & support, not modelling.  I've moved the topic to the correct place, and if you could try to post things in the proper place in future, it'd be much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, Scale_modeller123 said:

I usually use Vallejo model air so im Not to experienced with thinners for airbrush I have thinned tamiya x-10 with Vallejo colours before and had good results but does anyone now if it works on their other paints?

you mean Vallejo THINNERS? 

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/vallejo-airbrush-thinner-17ml/

You can apply Vallejo thinned over Tamiya, depending on what you thin it with.

If you mean using Vallejo thinners with Tamiya, or other paint, it depends.   

It won't with enamel for sure.... OK, I'm being a smart bottom,  but briefly,  make sure your basic question is correct in the subject line,  and, this can be corrected. (this goes for asking anything here)

More specifically,  and presuming your presuming you question is about Vallejo thinners compatibility with other acrylic paints?

If you have thinned Tamiya with Vallejo thinners, it should then work,  but be aware there are two main types of modelling acrylic.

Latex type,. Vallejo, Humbrol, Xtracylix, Revell Aqua, Lifecolor 

and "laquer" or Alcohol type, Tamiya, Gunze.

They are not intermixable paint paint types, and 'hotter' solvent for these turn the latex types to gloop, thing like Mr Color Levelling Thinner, or cellulose thinners,  which you can thin Tamiya with as well.

All the acrylics mentioned can be thinned with water, though you may want to add a little flow improver (breaks surface tension) 

I suspect Vallejo thinners is mostly water with some kind of alcohol and flow improver,  see what the label says.(or smell it, alcohols smell distinctive)

looking at the link

"This thinner can also be used to thin other Vallejo acrylic ranges to enable you to use them in your airbrush. The thinner also delays the drying of paint within your airbrush, to reduce clogging and make cleaning easier."

That implies it contains an acrylic retarder,  which you can buy separately.   

Hope this gives a bit of background,  easiest thing is to just test anything first and see how it behaves.

HTH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike said:

You posted this in Help & Support, which has a BIG red sign at the top saying it's for site help & support, not modelling.  I've moved the topic to the correct place, and if you could try to post things in the proper place in future, it'd be much appreciated :)

Sorry I’m new to the website Thanks for the heads up  😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

you mean Vallejo THINNERS? 

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/vallejo-airbrush-thinner-17ml/

You can apply Vallejo thinned over Tamiya, depending on what you thin it with.

If you mean using Vallejo thinners with Tamiya, or other paint, it depends.   

It won't with enamel for sure.... OK, I'm being a smart bottom,  but briefly,  make sure your basic question is correct in the subject line,  and, this can be corrected. (this goes for asking anything here)

More specifically,  and presuming your presuming you question is about Vallejo thinners compatibility with other acrylic paints?

If you have thinned Tamiya with Vallejo thinners, it should then work,  but be aware there are two main types of modelling acrylic.

Latex type,. Vallejo, Humbrol, Xtracylix, Revell Aqua, Lifecolor 

and "laquer" or Alcohol type, Tamiya, Gunze.

They are not intermixable paint paint types, and 'hotter' solvent for these turn the latex types to gloop, thing like Mr Color Levelling Thinner, or cellulose thinners,  which you can thin Tamiya with as well.

All the acrylics mentioned can be thinned with water, though you may want to add a little flow improver (breaks surface tension) 

I suspect Vallejo thinners is mostly water with some kind of alcohol and flow improver,  see what the label says.(or smell it, alcohols smell distinctive)

looking at the link

"This thinner can also be used to thin other Vallejo acrylic ranges to enable you to use them in your airbrush. The thinner also delays the drying of paint within your airbrush, to reduce clogging and make cleaning easier."

That implies it contains an acrylic retarder,  which you can buy separately.   

Hope this gives a bit of background,  easiest thing is to just test anything first and see how it behaves.

HTH

Thanks for the help 😀 the label of the thinner doesn’t say what is in it but I suspect your right.

12 hours ago, Scale_modeller123 said:

Sorry I’m new to the website Thanks for the heads up  😀

Yes, I noticed. :) That's why we didn't send the boys round to beat you up ;)

• Haha 2