Mach2 1/72 Vickers Viscount at Jersey Airport.

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Well do not be put off but you need to have been model making a while. It is a strange plastic softer than nor. also found when painting patches of pin hole pricks in clusters.

Providing you prime no such problems with tape.  The instructions are just 5 pictures on an A4 sheet. I had a number of pieces left over where they were supposed to go who knows. However do not be detered,

Laurie

I'll tackle it once I get a home for it in a case, like you idea, might do something similar. I have four Viscounts, the others are the Glencoe kits. I want to do each colour scheme used by TCA/Air Canada, maybe even a derelict as retired one, not sure yet.

3 hours ago, Moa said:

You tamed that kit! Congratulations! That on itself deserves praise, but you also placed it in a gorgeous scene, lively and with an aura of nostalgia, giving it historical context.

Excellent job.

Thanks for posting.

I couldn't agree more and couldn't have said it better. Thanks Moa!

Very nice work, brings back happy memories of flying to Jersey on a Viscount to see my relatives in the Summer holidays during the 80's... happy days!

I've always wanted to build a 1/72 Viscount but was never brave enough to tackle the Mach2 kit, so well done you brave chap.

gazza l

2 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Congratulations, magnificent build! Seeing it next to the Heron reminds you why Mach 2 kits are tempting, they're big! 

You say never again, well, I can advise that the second Mach 2 is like falling off the wagon, you convince yourself you know what you're doing, going in with your eyes open etc..then before you know it, you're hair's full of P38 filler and you haven't seen your family in 3 days.

Thanks very nice of you indeed.  P38 more like Polyfilla 😂

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Excellent work - congratulations!

I had the nightmare with the Viscount too.

My once got markings from 26decals in BOAC service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/5326288543/in/photolist-97EC26

Like the blue FINA tankers.

There is a Heron too. What comes next?

modelldoc

Thanks much appreciated. Next a Dragon Rapide. The used to use the beach as an airport & runway before WW11. Looking forward to this.

Laurie

I can now see why I don't need to buy a MACH2 Viscount!  The others are being very kind, but it has to be said, it looks nothing like the Viscount in your background photo!

Think I'll stick with my Glencoe and S&M Viscount kits!

26 minutes ago, AMB said:

I can now see why I don't need to buy a MACH2 Viscount!  The others are being very kind, but it has to be said, it looks nothing like the Viscount in your background photo!

Think I'll stick with my Glencoe and S&M Viscount kits!

Oh dear Adrian a bad day at the office. 🤣 very kind of you to comment. You obviously did not follow my build tut naughty.

Edited by LaurieS

3 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Oh dear Adrian a bad day at the office. 🤣 very kind of you to comment. You obviously did not follow my build tut naughty.

I know you struggled Laurie, so it is the poor kit I am criticising, not your effort.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMB said:

I know you struggled Laurie, so it is the poor kit I am criticising, not your effort.  

Then perhaps Adrain it would be much nicer to write in that vein rather than a harsh criticism.

It does help the harmony to do that. Harsh criticism does deter some model makers from displaying their work which is very sad

It is for us all to support each other what ever level we are at. That certainly is my mantra towards others.

Laurie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Nice one, Laurie!

Where'd you get that blue Fina tanker? Oxford Mins? 

Sorry Paul missed the question. Thanks you for your comment very nice of you.

Just not sure probably Oxford Die cast. Ifinterested here is one. There are superbly produced. Sacrilege I wet 7 dry sand to get shot of the gloss & newness.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324163238077

Laurie

• Like 1

Hey Laurie, I think your Viscount is a real triumph!

Anyone who can get that kind of result from a Mach2 kit is definitely a modeller of determination and skill, in my estimation.

As I may have said on this forum before, I was glad to build Revell's DC-4 (released a few years back) rather than do battle with the Mach2 kit.

Anyway, you are to be congratulated for your Viscount.

:clap::clap::clap:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kapam said:

Hey Laurie, I think your Viscount is a real triumph!

Anyone who can get that kind of result from a Mach2 kit is definitely a modeller of determination and skill, in my estimation.

As I may have said on this forum before, I was glad to build Revell's DC-4 (released a few years back) rather than do battle with the Mach2 kit.

Anyway, you are to be congratulated for your Viscount.

:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you very much very nice of you.

Yes Mach2 presented a few problems Wings & engine pods good. Fuselage & especially the cockpit canopy were devils.

Laurie

40 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

An amazing job Laurie, especially given the Mach2's reputation. The airport dio is the icing on a rich cake (very filling ;) :D )

Steve.

Gee that is very nice of you Steve. Do believe there are 6 cakes more on the shelf & some more boxes of icing 😂🤣

Laurie

• Haha 1

This is really really nice, Laurie. Really like what you’ve done with the whole project. The diorama is very tasteful and complementary, not to imposing. Looks like a busy ramp with the Heron, too...and nice job on that little bird, too. I have no experience with the Mach 2 kits. Seems like a lot of “bashing”going on, but regardless, you’ve sure made the Viscount kit out to be a nice finish. Thanks for sharing. 

Paul

2 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

This is really really nice, Laurie. Really like what you’ve done with the whole project. The diorama is very tasteful and complementary, not to imposing. Looks like a busy ramp with the Heron, too...and nice job on that little bird, too. I have no experience with the Mach 2 kits. Seems like a lot of “bashing”going on, but regardless, you’ve sure made the Viscount kit out to be a nice finish. Thanks for sharing. 

Paul

That is very nice of you Paul & much appreciated. Just another 7 aircraft to go.😵

Laurie

You did a fantastic job. Getting a Mach 2 kit to the finishing line is always an achievement. I have a few in my stash and I am girding my loins to have a go - some day. The kits in question are the Martin WB-57 in NASA colours and their lifting body set.

However, I have to say that Mach 2 does seem to have problem getting their nose and flight deck window areas correct on some of their airliner kits - their newish VC-10 is another one with nose shape problems.

Having said all that, I love the diorama as it evokes a saner and simpler era when air travel was still fun and a relative novelty for most people. The Viscount is one of my favourite airliners and I am only sad that I never got to fly in one. I hope to get to the Brooklands Museum in a few weeks time and spend some time aboard G-APIM.

How about a FROG Herald to fill up the ramp a bit more?

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

You did a fantastic job. Getting a Mach 2 kit to the finishing line is always an achievement. I have a few in my stash and I am girding my loins to have a go - some day. The kits in question are the Martin WB-57 in NASA colours and their lifting body set.

However, I have to say that Mach 2 does seem to have problem getting their nose and flight deck window areas correct on some of their airliner kits - their newish VC-10 is another one with nose shape problems.

Having said all that, I love the diorama as it evokes a saner and simpler era when air travel was still fun and a relative novelty for most people. The Viscount is one of my favourite airliners and I am only sad that I never got to fly in one. I hope to get to the Brooklands Museum in a few weeks time and spend some time aboard G-APIM.

How about a FROG Herald to fill up the ramp a bit more?

Thanks Eric very much appreciated.

Mach2. So many inaccuracies one side of the fuselage does not match the other. Front is not right. The canopy is a huge laugh. It is thick cannot see through it & has bubbles in it. Had to sand & buff.

After saying that I built it to fit jersey Airport 50s & 60s.

Ha ha the old Dart Herald. Great aircraft. Times the Viscount could not fly dues to cross winds. But the Heralds with the wings on top kept flying.

I managed to get a Maquette Dart Herald. In freighter form. May change to civilian. So 2 down 7 aircraft to go. with Dragon Rapide next.

Thanks for looking in Eric

Laurie

On 8/12/2020 at 12:59 AM, LaurieS said:

Then perhaps Adrain it would be much nicer to write in that vein rather than a harsh criticism.

It does help the harmony to do that. Harsh criticism does deter some model makers from displaying their work which is very sad

It is for us all to support each other what ever level we are at. That certainly is my mantra towards others.

Laurie

Laurie,

When modellers post completed models 'for inspection', it is important for an honest opinion compared with the real thing.  If everyone was full of praise, just to be kind to the contributor, that would not be an honest opinion and would not be helpful, when they clearly could see what  didn't look right, but were afraid to say so in case they offended the contributor.  The kit is clearly 'a dog' but an accurate paint scheme might at least cover up some of it's failings. All I say is, when painting a model, research plenty of photos of your intended subject to ensure the paint scheme is accurate.

4 hours ago, AMB said:

Laurie,

When modellers post completed models 'for inspection', it is important for an honest opinion compared with the real thing.  If everyone was full of praise, just to be kind to the contributor, that would not be an honest opinion and would not be helpful, when they clearly could see what  didn't look right, but were afraid to say so in case they offended the contributor.  The kit is clearly 'a dog' but an accurate paint scheme might at least cover up some of it's failings. All I say is, when painting a model, research plenty of photos of your intended subject to ensure the paint scheme is accurate.

We will leave it there Adrian.

Laurie

Just to clear some confusion should any one be dotty enough to build this kit.

My Viscount is of the 700 series. Short body less windows. The snout is also very blunt.

My livery was studiously copied from a photo of the 700 on the Jersey apron with Mach2 very slight intervention.

Confession. The red stripe may not have existed on the BEA 700. It was on some of the 800. However I liked it & added it (😬)

The Viscount in the background picture is a series 800. Longer body more windows. The major difference is that the snout had radar (I believe) which radically changed the contour of the front.

Goes with out saying that this snout made for different paint profile.

Thanks to all those who pressed the button & left a like much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 1