Hello from the Midlands

PinkThorn242

So I guess I'm here as part of my efforts to get back into this hobby after lapsing during my teens. Mostly after trying to build Revell's 1/72 Halifax and getting too frustrated. But I figure I've got a bit more skill and patience now as a result of other hobbies (Which may or may not have involved attempts at building armour from foam floor mats but let's not get into that) so I might as well take another crack at this.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'm Jenny. Probably your typical bored twenty-something looking for ways to fill her time. Originally caught the bug when my parents brought me a Matchbox Spitfire kit at a Duxford airshow long enough ago that I can't actually remember the year. Had my share of misadventures along the way (like thinking that trying to stick a peeling decal back down with poly cement would end in anything other than tragedy) and kind of stumbled my way onto this board looking for kit reviews because I was trying to decide on a project to get back in with.

• Like 7

Jenny.

Welcome. For all your kit building questions and needs, you are in the right place.

Whatever you want to know, someone here will know.

What are thinking of building ?

Jon

Edited by Faraway

Hi Jenny, self portrait?

nice one  :)

As Faraway says there is a wealth of friendly advice and encouragement for when the Deep Lows hit us so you never need to despair.

In  Brum you will probably have found Parabellum in Vyse Street by now, if you haven't prepare to be dazzled by the choices Nigel can offer and my own local shop is Mike's Models in Kingstanding which also carries a world of goodies in stock

End of Commercial, let's make models

I mostly do aeroplanes especially if the propellor goes around on the roof instead of up its nose

Naval modellers are well sorted as are armour and vehicles and figures here in Britmodeller, all esoteric tastes can be expected

I did this a couple of years ago, just for fun

1573141688538672055566563288895.jpg

Brum IPMS run a little competition based upon what can be fitted within the footprint of a Carling Black Label beermat, we does have real fun.

So it boils down to

WELCOME ABOARD, DON'T GET BORED

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Hi Jenny, self portrait?

nice one  :)

As Faraway says there is a wealth of friendly advice and encouragement for when the Deep Lows hit us so you never need to despair.

In  Brum you will probably have found Parabellum in Vyse Street by now, if you haven't prepare to be dazzled by the choices Nigel can offer and my own local shop is Mike's Models in Kingstanding which also carries a world of goodies in stock

End of Commercial, let's make models

I mostly do aeroplanes especially if the propellor goes around on the roof instead of up its nose

Naval modellers are well sorted as are armour and vehicles and figures here in Britmodeller, all esoteric tastes can be expected

I did this a couple of years ago, just for fun

Brum IPMS run a little competition based upon what can be fitted within the footprint of a Carling Black Label beermat, we does have real fun.

So it boils down to

WELCOME ABOARD, DON'T GET BORED

I'll have to give those a look next time I can actually get into the city (more out by the airport end and never actually got a chance to go look round Antics over in Coventry before it shut despite walking past it a bunch).

• Like 1

Hi Jenny,

Great to have a female perspective on our varied hobby, welcome. 

If you are the airport side of Brum and fancy having a look at a model club when things get back to "normal", you could do worse that IPMS Coventry & Warwickshire based at the Midland Aircraft Museum at Coventry Airport, a quick run up the A45. They are a great bunch and have a very eclectic taste in modelling, the added attraction is that the museum has a model shop and (I think) gives discount to club members. @modelling minion is a member there so can probably add more detail.

Before @perdu has a fit this is not to say Birmingham's club is in any way inferior!

Dave (ex pat Midlander and Cov & Warks founder member)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Jenny, and hi fellow Midlanders!  (ex Leicestershire - but managed to escape!)

Have a think what scale and which area you want to start in - there are some awesome modellers here (unfortunatly, I'm not one of them, yet) so help and advice is only a message away.  Have a look round and be inspired!

AJ

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum, you won't find a more helpful and generous group of slightly mad modellers anywhere on the net.

As Dave ( @Coors54 ) nearly got right (must be an age thing) I am a member of IPMS Mercia which meets (when we're allowed to again) at the Coventry Flying Club at the side of the airport, very close to the museum and if you wanted to pop along at some time in the future you would be most welcome. We're a friendly bunch and modellers of all ages, gender or skill are welcomed, so if in the future you fancy popping along then drop me a line. In the meantime enjoy the forum and the great friendship that exists on here.

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As Dave ( @Coors54 ) nearly got right (must be an age thing)

Oh blimey, it really is an age thing! Sorry Craig, it's been a while and I got my clubs mixed up.....

Jenny, both great groups, you can't go wrong, join both.

I'll go and sit on the naughty step for a while. 😳

Dave

• Haha 2

Welcome Jenny :) 

As others have said, BMers are a great bunch and it's one of the kindest places on the Web IMHO. Don't be afraid to ask questions (the only dumb one is the one you don't ask) and please do a WiP on your builds - you'll be surprised how much help and support you get! 

• Like 1

Welcome Jenny from sunny Leamington.

As has been said, this really is the friendliest of places to hang out & ask those questions that'll help with a current build or just expand your knowledge.

Edge

Hi there,

hello from the middle of nowhere.

I do hope you'll have a lot of fun with the (mostly) mad people who frequent this forum.

Take care

JR