Guatemalan P-26A

While starting construction on a FAB T-6 and AT-33 the other day, my attention turned to a P26 that was sitting unfinished in the back of my display case. Originally intended to be a Chinese Air Force Peashooter, I still hadn't bothered to buy the decals after almost a year. I spent a few minutes tracking down my Print Scale P26 sheet to look for other options, and found a Guatemalan scheme that I could make without any more painting. Unfortunately, the roundels were printed just slightly out of register, but I can overlook that for the most part.

Next should be a Brazilian T6 with decals provided by @theplasticsurgeon. Thanks again! Now I just need to figure out what paint colors to use, as the reference sheet suggested sand pink and yellow over sky blue!

For whichever reason, no variety of lighting produced decent photos, but here she is.

P-26 Guat P-26 Guat

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I've seen P-26s in a variety of markings but never seen this one so it appeals to me. May I ask what kit this is and in what scale? It's a nice model; very clean!

On 8/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, SAT69 said:

I've seen P-26s in a variety of markings but never seen this one so it appeals to me. May I ask what kit this is and in what scale? It's a nice model; very clean!

This is the *ancient* Revell kit in 1/72. I'll likely forever be hoping for a quality modern tooling, as I could easily build 50 P26s and not tire of them - so far I have 5!

On 8/11/2020 at 8:05 AM, JWM said:

Very nice result and rare camo variant. 

From here:

https://www.laahs.com/guatemalan-peashooters/

one can learn, that last P26s in Guatemala were flying in ... 1956! 

I hope more can tell about it  @Luis Alfonso -our BM fellow from Guatemala.

Cheers

J-W

It always surprises me how long some aircraft are retained for - I just learned earlier that Mig-17s are still in use in a number of countries. I think these little known schemes make for the most fun. With any luck, my newest project will be a scheme nobody has ever seen before. It's from a Czech movie from 1973 - The High Blue Wall.

Very nice indeed. As many know, I have a liking for Latin subjects and yours is a beauty. It’s a shame about the off register decals but that is often the case with Printscale sadly. Correct sizing can also be an issue. None of it detracts from your great build, though! 

Martin

3 hours ago, Tweener said:

This is the *ancient* Revell kit in 1/72. I'll likely forever be hoping for a quality modern tooling, as I could easily build 50 P26s and not tire of them - so far I have 5!

It always surprises me how long some aircraft are retained for - I just learned earlier that Mig-17s are still in use in a number of countries. I think these little known schemes make for the most fun. With any luck, my newest project will be a scheme nobody has ever seen before. It's from a Czech movie from 1973 - The High Blue Wall.

You might like this 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tweener said:

In fact there IS a modern tooling from AZ Model;
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-azl7220-p-26-peashooter

Edited by Luka

On 8/11/2020 at 6:05 AM, JWM said:

Very nice result and rare camo variant. 

From here:

https://www.laahs.com/guatemalan-peashooters/

one can learn, that last P26s in Guatemala were flying in ... 1956! 

I hope more can tell about it  @Luis Alfonso -our BM fellow from Guatemala.

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

It's a real pleasure to know you remember me JAJAJAJAJAJA... >Also a nice pleasure to greet you.

THE LINK you have posted above is the one to follow anyone who wants to build a Guatemalan Peashooter. There are also a Silver scheme that the birds were using in the last years of service, and both of the last survivors are now in USA Museums still in flying condition. 

Yes, these little bird were the very first pursuit aircraft our Guatemalan Air Force had and came here by a little rare route. These aircraft were rotting in Panamá Canal Zone and  one of our Generals asked for and was ganter with them. They arrived in this green that were used by USAAF birds at that time. And yes, they were still flying so late here until were relieved by the F-51 D Mustangs that came in 1954.

AND YES TWEENER>: Congratulations for the way you have done a great job with this little gem.-

The squadron emblem is the God Mercury, that were chosen because these were the highest speed bird of all the Guatemala Air Force had at this time.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luis Alfonso said:

And yes, they were still flying so late here until were relieved by the F-51 D Mustangs that came in 1954.

Hard to believe these aircraft soldiered on until the mid-50s!

A very interesting build, and now I've learned some more aviation history.

Thanks for historical background , Luis!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Jerzy!!!

It's a real pleasure to know you remember me JAJAJAJAJAJA... >Also a nice pleasure to greet you.

Nice to hear from you! 

Regards

J-W

Nice to see one of these built up, Sir.

I believe any museum examples still existing are survivors from Guatemalan service.

I second the note about the RS Models kit. It looks quite decent to me. Though I do remain fond of the old Revell kit.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Jerzy!!!

THE LINK you have posted above is the one to follow anyone who wants to build a Guatemalan Peashooter. There are also a Silver scheme that the birds were using in the last years of service, and both of the last survivors are now in USA Museums still in flying condition. 

Yes, these little bird were the very first pursuit aircraft our Guatemalan Air Force had and came here by a little rare route. These aircraft were rotting in Panamá Canal Zone and  one of our Generals asked for and was ganter with them. They arrived in this green that were used by USAAF birds at that time. And yes, they were still flying so late here until were relieved by the F-51 D Mustangs that came in 1954.

AND YES TWEENER>: Congratulations for the way you have done a great job with this little gem.-

The squadron emblem is the God Mercury, that were chosen because these were the highest speed bird of all the Guatemala Air Force had at this time.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

I had been wondering who the emblem might have been! I'd thought it may have been to honor a certain Pilot. I'm thinking I might make one of the silver schemes you mentioned at some point, and perhaps even one in green with silver engine cowl and forward fuselage, which I have seen a time or two. I've also got partial decals for a Guatemalan Texan, but no tail stripes unfortunately.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:10 AM, Luka said:

In fact there IS a modern tooling from AZ Model;
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-azl7220-p-26-peashooter

I had read that the AZ Kit wasn't much more than a Pavla kit with new decals - is this not true?
If so, I may have to find a few.

Thanks all!
Stay safe - Tweener

Fun to hear the enthusiasm about this "small air force" subject.

I've got the 1/72 Aztec decals for this subject (Mercury's head) and won't be using them. Happy to pass them along for the postage...

Herb

Edited by Herb

On 8/17/2020 at 12:35 AM, Herb said:

Fun to hear the enthusiasm about this "small air force" subject.

I've got the 1/72 Aztec decals for this subject (Mercury's head) and won't be using them. Happy to pass them along for the postage...

Herb

I would love more! Would you like me to send you a PM?

On 8/13/2020 at 2:14 AM, RidgeRunner said:

You might like this 

Not sure why this didn't load the last time I checked back, but now I'm giving my unfinished Airfix Mustang a different look... Perhaps I can hope to find an Aztec Decals sheet somewhere?

Thanks,

Tweener

8 hours ago, Tweener said:

Not sure why this didn't load the last time I checked back, but now I'm giving my unfinished Airfix Mustang a different look... Perhaps I can hope to find an Aztec Decals sheet somewhere?

Aztec are re-releasing a number of decal sets, including Mustangs :)

http://www.hyperscale.com/2020/reviews/decals/aztekmodelsdecalpreview_0720_1.htm

Martin

On 8/17/2020 at 4:32 AM, Tweener said:

I had read that the AZ Kit wasn't much more than a Pavla kit with new decals - is this not true?
If so, I may have to find a few.

No, different and more modern tooling.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 10:11 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

Hard to believe these aircraft soldiered on until the mid-50s!

A very interesting build, and now I've learned some more aviation history.

Thanks for historical background , Luis!

Hi My Friend Roman:

All my pleasure!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso 

On 8/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tweener said:

I had been wondering who the emblem might have been! I'd thought it may have been to honor a certain Pilot. I'm thinking I might make one of the silver schemes you mentioned at some point, and perhaps even one in green with silver engine cowl and forward fuselage, which I have seen a time or two. I've also got partial decals for a Guatemalan Texan, but no tail stripes unfortunately.

Hi Tweener:

Check for the Aztec Decals as they have made with some of our modeling community members two decal sheets dealing with aircraft since 1921, one of them has the P-26 ones and also Texan, Mustangs, C-47, C-45, AT-11 and other aircraft very colourful decals in 1/72 and 1/48 as this one:

http://www.hobbymex.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=AZT48045&Category_Code=calcas148

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aztec-models-72-045-quetzales--1001139

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso 

On 8/13/2020 at 1:16 PM, JWM said:

Nice to hear from you! 

Regards

J-W

Hi My Friend Jerzy!!!

Thank you very much my dear friend!!!

Will look around to watch the latest post you have shared here to watch nice good Old School Modeling at its best!!

Keep on My Friend!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1