Here we go with another kreiger kitbash using whatever I've got hanging around.

A recent build in the Aircraft section was an Edgely Optica by @Hamiltonian. An unusual looking but useful thing, it inspired me to have a bash.

A search through the scrapyard yielded a Revell 'MASH' Bell 47 Helicopter and a Testors (I think) Cessna O2 Forward Air Controller's (FAC) Aircraft.

I dismantled the Bell, sanded off the decals and sawed the nose off of the Cessna. Well you would wouldn't you?

EOMHvJt.jpg

A little blurred but it shows the general idea. I taped over the bubble to save it from being scratched. On the back of the bubble is a Harrier fan shroud, cut in half.

Bits of plastic card were used to straighten things out. The floats are ex SMER Swordfish. the struts are cut down Huey blades. They were bent and fit into fuselage & float slots.

5QUm2sA.jpg

Here's a better shot of the fuselage joint. I like those layers on the blade. The rudders are probably too small, but I don't have to fly it!

2hbwOmw.jpg

And then Milliput happened. Power for this thing is supplied by a small jet engine in the fuselage. So we now have an intake and exhaust nozzle.

dfFkWa4.jpg

Another view. The intake has been faired in and I've added more PPP to the exhaust/fuselage joint. The CG could be a bit dodgy, but it might just work.

tLLajux.jpg

And then I found some Macchi tiptanks. So they obviously had to go on. 

So, to sum up. Here we have a junkyard flier that operates from water using a jet engine, it has no doors and is none too aerodynamic.

It would be slow and have a relatively short range.             It surely must fit the kreiger requirements*.

I'm enjoying myself once more, I hope it ticks some of your boxes. Comments are, as always, very welcome.

*Generally seem to be - It doesn't have to make sense, but it needs to look good and as though it 'might' do what it's supposed to do.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

I'll take a front seat to gawp at another slice of Pete's general weirdness pie. Although so far this one looks almost, erm... normal.

It'll be very interesting to see what it looks like after it's rhinoplasty op after the bandages come off.

• Haha 1

Looks good! 👍

Might I humbly suggest though that you alter the tail / tails a bit. That’s  a highly distinctive part of the original aircraft and at the moment I think it’s kind of giving the game away.

Just a suggestion. As always; ‘your model - your rules’ 

Either way I Can’t wait to see this painted and unwrapped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys. The intention is Maritime patrol, I'm still wondering about weapons.

The tail, Yes, I'd like to enlarge the rudders. I need to have a look at them again.

Plus I wonder what damage the jet efflux could do to the tailplane.

Next session will be at the weekend. Work keeps interfering with my life!

• Like 3

This is proper bonkers mate - love it. If its maritime then maybe a MK46 torp or two or a la HS129 a socking great cannon underneath- do you have an an old Bofors in the spares box - or simply mackle one up with a big flash hider..... with the big insect eye up front and given the Germans have already done the Wespe, Hornesse and Moskito - how about a Bremse (horsefly)?

.....or go SAR with lots of bright international orange!

TT 

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 3

I got a bit of progress done today. The Milliput behind the cockpit got rubbed down. Primer will show how good that is.

I've detailed up the floats with tie down points, rudders, fuel caps, fuel dump pipes and beaching gear attachment points.

@TEXANTOMCAT Weapons, I added pylons on the wings and I've made up some weird bombs from various bits.

I couldn't find any suitable rockets/missiles. There will be a belly tank fitted. For Maritime patrol it would need plenty of fuel.

@Bandsaw Steve I've found an ancient build of a Fw189. the booms are now being stripped of 1/4 inch Humbrol, and we'll see where this leads.

The Focke wulf rudders are smaller than the Cessna ones so may need surgery.

Thanks for looking in, Guys. Pete

• Like 5

On 8/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

On the back of the bubble is a Harrier fan shroud

We would feel cheated were it not to there - you play this audience like a violin Pete! :laugh:

On 8/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

It would be slow and have a relatively short range. 

That's the decals sorted anyways:

BL_sticker.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The intention is Maritime patrol, I'm still wondering about weapons.

"something pretty damn devastating I should expect."

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

It's Sunday and I've had some time in the mancave, so, bring on the pictures!

WehiXKc.jpg

Oh look, new fins. These came out of the spares box, possibly Osprey fins? I split the Fw189 booms and overlaid part of them onto the Cessna booms.

At the front I've cut down old drop tanks and glued them on. All this was later faired in with Humbrol filler.

47hW5R3.jpg

I've glued plastic rod down the sides which will give a clean join once the filler is rubbed down.

71to1bu.jpg

And here are all the greeblies I added to the floats. 

8atyOUf.jpg

See, they're both the same. The beaching gear attachment gizmo's can just be seen on the outboard sides.

IlOYXJn.jpg

Weird bombs. Made from various bits and yes, that's a rocket nozzle at the back. I'm going to call them Penguins. Don't know why :laugh:

Thanks for looking. Feel free to comment or send valuable items by mail. Pete

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Great scratchbuild Pete !!

It's amazing !! You deserve your place in the naughty corner with this one...

And so, Like the Spad could we hope for Hot lips coming from the cockpit ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Well I think the engine exhaust would be hot. Is that close enough for you? 👄

This morning I rubbed down all the PPP on the booms, re-scribed control surfaces on the wings and cut and scribed rudders onto the fins.

Later today I gave it a coat of white primer. I'm starting to wonder about a final colour scheme now.

Possibly pale blue over white or pale grey?

• Like 2

On 12/08/2020 at 02:16, Pete in Lincs said:

Plus I wonder what damage the jet efflux could do to the tailplane.

Well, as it's a Ma.K and thus exempt from more than token aerodynamics, you could consider losing the tailplane entirely. Maybe add some bumps and bobs where the cuts are? That might further anonymise the donor, too.

Edited by Vile Traveller
  • Like 1

Nice idea @Vile Traveller but the Aircraft tech in me won't let me go that far. It may be Ma.k but it has to look feasible. 

Last year I scratchbuilt a Ma.k nightfighter. It had to look like it might just work. This new tailplane is mostly out of the jet efflux.

• Like 1

He's It's crazy, but it just might work...

Funny, I thought of the Optica too as soon as I saw your first piccies.

If this thing does ASW and anti-shipping duties, that suggest that there is work for it...

Air/Sea Rescue duties too?

Does it have a MAD (magnetic anomaly detector) unit aboard?

Sono-buoys or the like might be useful as well, something to go with your penguins anyway. :penguin:

I have a suggestion for your next project: Submarine!

(I've been reading up on the X-craft boats recently)

(Wanders away shaking his head.  :drunk:)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

I have a suggestion for your next project: Submarine!

Don't talk wet, Man!

The MAD Boom might be an idea though. I'll have to see what I've got....

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

Wanders away shaking his head.

I've seen those wobblehead things on car dashboards. :laugh:

• Haha 1