Bentwaters Hog

Cool. One thing you might want to be aware of with using that kit is that the 527th F-16Cs were early block 30 aircraft. This means that they had the original 'small mouth' intake as provided in the kit but had the new GE engine which had a different exhaust. It's not what I'd call a show stopper, but I'll put my thinking cap on as to what kit might have provided both exhaust types and could be a source for a spare.

• Thanks 1

I managed to lose a pylon somewhere when touching up a bit of spray. It could be on the lawn somewhere, it's pretty well camouflaged! Anyone got a spare?

The rest of the pylons I painted the undersides gunmetal, not sure if that's accurate ?

spacer.png

I've been trying to decide how dirty Hogs were! It looks like quite a few jad a stain on the left engine pod from an exhaust outlet under it. The rest of the airframe I just gave a light dirtwash over, though it doesn't really show up much. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Lovely job in that far from easy camo scheme. Looks the business.

I’ve heard of and tangled with the carpet monster, but the lawn monster is a new beast to me!

• Haha 1

Not sure if the Academy kit is anywhere near.  I remember the exhaust area fit was dire, along with the asymmetric intake halves.  Took some work to get it resembling an F-16 but it was cheap

g6O5wyi.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments chaps! Very encouraging.

Luckily she stands on her own now with no tailsitting, although it's very finely balanced even with well over 60g in the nose. Might add a bit more yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Underwing stores. Looking at photos of 81st TFW jets I'll leave most pylons empty (sadly!); just one Maverick training round and the ubiquitous AN/ALQ ECM pod.

However, I don't know whether to keep the missile rail - did A-10s carry those in the 80s or is it a post-Gulf War thing?

Secondly, does anyone have a spare Warthog pylon for the station circled? The lawn monster never returned it after it fell off during spraying.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, Filler said:

Cool. One thing you might want to be aware of with using that kit is that the 527th F-16Cs were early block 30 aircraft. This means that they had the original 'small mouth' intake as provided in the kit but had the new GE engine which had a different exhaust. It's not what I'd call a show stopper, but I'll put my thinking cap on as to what kit might have provided both exhaust types and could be a source for a spare.

GE exhaust here https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4431?result-token=SJiXI .Alternatively any of the Hasegawa 1/48 F-16C/D boxings from the Block 50 series http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/has/kit_has_06110.shtml have both types of exhaust and intake . 

I'm impressed with Italeri's canopy hinge, it's good you can have the canopy open or closed without having to just hold it open with blu-tack in case you ever want it closed 😂 I wish more kits would have canopy hinges.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cut out my own canopy masks from masking tape, no need to spend money on aftermarket masks! 

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, Lord Riot said:

Might add a bit more yet.

Don't think it helps you specifically (since the nose is already buttoned up) but with nose weights it's a good idea to take leverage into account. 
The further away from the CoG, the better.

In the A-10 case, the extreme nose end above the gun & in front of the cockpit is a good spot. As you've seen, you would need more weight the further back towards the CoG you go.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes Italeri provide Mavericks and rails, I'll use one I think. I'm thinking of taking the AIM-9 rail off though as I'm yet to see a pic of an 81 TFW jet carrying Sidewinder rounds. 

I'm wondering now if my dark green is a little too dark? Probably too late for a respray though, Hogs seemed to change colour in different light conditions anyway! Looks quite dark on this one though:

spacer.png

Great job, the cannon is very impressive, is that the kit part? 

I was at an air display at Yeovilton many years ago where there was an all green Danish F-100 in the static display. It was a sunny/cloudy day and you  could see the colour changing with the lighting, so it’s very difficult to say wether it’s right or not.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, yes the cannon is just from the kit. I did think about getting an aftermarket one but having painted and fitted it this one looked good enough. I just used Humbrol gunmetal, then lightly coated over the barrel ends with Humbrol silver, followed by a dirtwash after. 

• Like 1