Bentwaters Hog

Still not finished the masking! 

spacer.png

Kind of dreading doing the F-111, it'll take about a week to mask something that size! No wonder all air forces just paint everything all over grey these days.

• Like 2

Tamiya AS-13 dark green sprayed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks once all the mask is off. Really hoping no touching up is needed as my brush painting instantly ruins any model!

spacer.png

Although the Italeri paint instructions are pretty good, there seemed to be a couple of discrepancies with photos, especially around the fins, so I used these USAF ones. Strange though that these also have the entire leading edge dark green, yet in photos real ones clearly have the camo pattern wrapping around, which is how I've done mine.

spacer.png

• Like 3

It'll be worth the effort of all that masking I'm sure. How have you got on with sourcing decals? Going to wait for the Caracal set?

I think it came up elsewhere on here that there were maybe three different official Euro1 schemes on the Warthogs (plus any local maintenance variations).

• Like 1

It's Hogtime!

spacer.png

Still a fair bit to do yet though ...

spacer.png

Still not sure what to do about the tailcodes and squadron markings yet, I'll see how I get on and if I finish way before the Caracal ones are out I might try and use the WR codes from an ancient, yellowing set from on old Revell kit I once had. 

• Like 6

50298113182_9cf28171b5_c.jpg
I haven’t gotten around to trying it out yet ( waiting till I have something with wavy lines on the bench) but I picked up one of these in my local art shop the other week for around €5; if it works, it should make wavy blue tack a thing if the past.

• Like 4

I gave it a dirtwash (a Hogwash?) to dull down the camo a bit and make it look a bit more used. 

Glued on those big aftermarket turbines too, I'd left them off so it was easier to paint the blades.

spacer.png

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

50298113182_9cf28171b5_c.jpg
I haven’t gotten around to trying it out yet ( waiting till I have something with wavy lines on the bench) but I picked up one of these in my local art shop the other week for around €5; if it works, it should make wavy blue tack a thing if the past.

If that truly is a 0.7mm pen, I need to investigate getting one of those for masking canopies.
*Brief pause for research online*

There's a 4mm version too, which would be tempting for outlining camouflage boundaries. Non-splay tip, too.

Looking at the technical sheet, it appears to be ammonia-free (though it's rare to find ammonia in much these days) so won't ruin any acrylics underneath.

I need to find a nearby stockist, or it's a visit to the great South American river soon...

• Like 2

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/353165216393
Found on evil bay ;a bit dearer than my local art shop but not that expensive. They also have the 4mm version but it’s €23, still.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/313180625231

Refined the search both sizes €5.51  + postage each.

Now that I think if it I’m not sure which size I got. Must take a look. 

Edited by Marklo

4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/353165216393
Found on evil bay ;a bit dearer than my local art shop but not that expensive. They also have the 4mm version but it’s €23, still.

Blimey! I've just looked online and there's a stockist in Cologne (I live in Germany) selling the pens for €4.53 each. Even with postage, that's got to be a much better deal, surely?

1 minute ago, Steve Coombs said:

there's a stockist in Cologne (I live in Germany) selling the pens for €4.53 each. Even with postage, that's got to be a much better deal, surely?

You’d imagine so, they should at least be quicker.

Late to the party as usual.That’s a great looking Hog.

I remember this kit getting a lot of stick about the intakes when it was first released, but it looks like that was the only problem, which is easily remedied thanks to Quickboost.

I like the look of the pen too, it should be very useful for wavy demarcation lines.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just seen your post about the Warthog you are building. I went on a visit to RAF Bentwaters in 1989/90 (I think) as part of my research for my dissertation. The USAF were very welcoming and we had a great day. I have the photos I took in the hanger somewhere, as we were allowed to walk all over the aircraft.  
I will post them if you would like? They were pre digital photographs So the quality is iffy.  
Andrew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok so these are digital photos of prints so the quality is not too good  I have never posted these before so if a moderator is around would it be a good idea to put them somewhere else on the forum?  
As I said before the photos are from 1990 and taken by me on a visit to RAF Bentwaters. I am sure someone can tell me what unit it is?  

Andrew  

50300010218_0f1ac5b229_b.jpg

50300851347_a15aa3c890_b.jpg

50300851342_6cb4e3ac94_b.jpg

50300851292_fb7bcf26e6_b.jpg

50300695296_1b2e18ae9e_b.jpg

50300695276_23be23662f_b.jpg

50300851257_2603c2c52f_b.jpg

50300010063_3930bbc72e_b.jpg

50300851132_24f60625ed_b.jpg

50300695101_ca2733e794_b.jpg

50300850457_886f65ea3d_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great photos and looks like an amazing experience. One thing that I notice often with the Euro1 scheme is the difference between the three colours varies so much. Even in your photos of the same aircraft in the same place at the same time they can look like three clearly different colours to generally all dark greyish-green. Or is it just my eyes?

43 minutes ago, Filler said:

Even in your photos of the same aircraft in the same place at the same time they can look like three clearly different colours to generally all dark greyish-green. Or is it just my eyes

Allow me to throw in my two cents. Perceived colour is a function of the object, the lighting  and the observer.

This includes things like how the colour is defined, additive like RGB on video displays, subtractive like cmyk used in printing, dye or pigments as used in paints etc or even fringes as on butterfly wings.

Lighting plays a huge part sunlight is fairly white, incandescent bulbs are really very orange and fluorescents and less are more blue than anything else.

And then there is the colour perception of the observer or in the case of photos the chemicals in the film or the sensitivity and range of the sensor in a digital camera.  The brain does funny things with colour perception e.g the lightest colour in view is usually perceived as white even if it isn’t , I’ve had this demonstrated in training classes and it’s true but downright weird.  Then there are the memory colours like sky, grass, skin where the brain favours these and the are seen first. Then colour constancy and saturation, ie the colour perception differs by how much of a colour and how intense it is.

You also get things like metamerism whereby a dye/pigment can look different depending on the lighting. This mostly hits when trying to match clothes or fabrics, they look the same in the shop but in natural daylight or a different lighting are different.

tldr: colour can vary a lot depending on conditions. :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Indeed Marklo. I seem to recall reading that the paints used in this scheme for the Warthogs was supposed to have qualities that did further the different perceptions of the colours. Something like that anyway.

And whilst I thought that there were 3 variations of this scheme, according to this USAF SIG page, there were 6 variations!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Excellent photos! These are perfect for detailing my Warthog, thanks. Lots of white interior areas it seems. You might be able to ask a moderator to to add them to the Walkaround section, a lot of people will probably find them very helpful. Looks like a great day out.

Looking at all those variations I think mine is closest to Scheme 5. It's definitely the grey nose version anyway. I'll just have to assume mine had teceived a local touch up that deviated slightly! 😂 I'm sure no-one will notice once it's finished. So much for the USAF plans I used saying the rudders are always all light green.

That site isn’t very clear on at what times or where all the various versions were applied. I wonder if some were used in Europe and others were used on aircraft based in the States. Or was it real mixture of schemes 3 to 6 by the end of their time in the UK?