Bentwaters Hog

On 8/13/2020 at 1:16 PM, Lord Riot said:

spacer.png

I always wondered what the inner workings of that cannon looked like!

Cracking work LR, hopefully you will source the right decals.

It does look a fine kit.

PS, I thought when A-10s were green that the split ailerons were red on the inside, but that's from memory. They're the same colour as the airframe now.

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 5

A bit more progress, I decided green is the way to go for the flaperon interiors. Should look ok once it's sealed up.

spacer.png

Nice cockpit decals by Italeri:

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 10/08/2020 at 15:44, Lord Riot said:

After some excellent advice on this site, I decided on the Italeri one. I'm sure all the kits have their pros and cons, but this seemed the best for my subject.

I’ve been contemplating a 1/48 A-10 too, so might have to source one of these...

Great job so far. We both use the same technique for adding nose weight and clamping wings! 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Does anyone know where I could find a list of serial numbers for 81st TFW A-10s, preferably with the squadron they were assigned to? 

I've got all the Ian Allen Military Markings books from the Eighties and they list the USAFE stuff. Not sure exactly how accurate/reliable they were but it's the only source I can think of. Alternatively I guess it's a matter of trawling through photos on line looking for one.

I'll take a look once I'm home if it helps. Which year specifically is your preference?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Filler! I think my old markings books ended up in recycling years ago. No worries if you don't get the time, I can look at a few images and choose one. 

I'll probably try and make it from around 1986, I think we had a summer holiday near Bentwaters then, seemed like the heyday of the Hog.

Back from holiday, and about ready to continue with the Warthog. These were waiting for me when we got home too:

spacer.png

Wings on, starting to look a bit like an A-10 now.

spacer.png

• Like 6

More progress on the Hog. Will be ready for the grey spray soon. 

spacer.png

What is the best way to paint and mask the intakes? I was thinking spray with the rest of the body then try to carefully handpaint the fan blades. Not sure how I could mask the blades otherwise. Looking at photos it looks like the blades are gunmetal as in the instructions and the spinner and intake walls are green. Is that correct?

spacer.png

• Like 3

Good question! Might I suggest that you spray the fan blades and the nose cap whatever the correct color is. (Not up on modern weenie cookers, so I can't tell you off the top of my head, what colors are correct.) Then you could make a mask out of an index card that has serrations that would cover 3-4 fan blades at their outer edge and use this to mask the blades while you paint the interior of the cowling, moving the mask around until all of the cowling interior has been painted. . Hope this explanation makes sense. Another more tedious way would be to cut small squares of masking tape to cover the outer portion of each blade. Me, I'd slap FOD covers on that puppy and be done with it, especially the ones that have the warthog and squadron painted on the center of the covers!

Mike

It also might enhance the look if you used a thin dark wash applied between the edge of the blades and the cowling to give some definition to the gap between the blades and the cowling wall.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, very helpful ideas! I'll give it a go.

In the meantime, I've fitted the impressive array of pylons. I think for loadout I'll just need the ECM pod and a dummy Sidewinder, which is a bit empty for a Hog to be honest! I'll see if I can find any photos of 81st TFW A-10s with a few more things hanging off.

The kit is such a good fit I didn't need to glue any of these pylons, they push into the holes perfectly. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

First part of the camo sprayed on. I'm not looking forward to masking for two more separate colours. I may be some time. On the positive side, even my wife who can happily sit reading in the car at Lakenheath without so much of a look out the window said this one looks cool!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Starting to look more like an A-10 now. Tamiya AS-14 'olive green' sprayed on. I'll let this dry overnight then more masking ready for AS-13 dark green. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I sprayed some of the pylons and handpainted the stores too. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looking great soo far ! Euro 1 scheme looking good :) 

.. as an North Essex boy growing up in the 70's and 80's - Hog's in the sky were a common sight . I remember going to an airshow at Middle Wallop in the 80's and ended up talking to a Lynx pilot who laughingly said there were parts of Salisbury Plain were they had to fly at 60ft+  to avoid the ground hugging A-10's 

I have the Tamiya A-10 in my collection (just for the Bentwaters decals)

• Like 2