What a mistake-A to make-A *finished*

I wasn't going to do another build, then Models For Heroes volunteers and beneficiaries said about a Battle of British group build. Having seen the fantastic work from both @PeterB and @Heather Kay in regards to Italian airforce aircraft, I thought I'd have a go. I picked this kit up off an auction site and some decals/ transfers from Hannants, not built a Smër kit before and I've never seen a 1/40 kit either. No bells or whistles on this build, as it comes with a clear stand. I'm going to use the build to improve my airbrushing skills now I've got a bit of the aircraft bug.

Hopefully the kits ok? As it didn't mention the mark of the kit in regards to the BoB.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#BOB80

• Like 11

Hi Ozzy,

Smer do seem to do some odd scales - seems to be reboxings from various odd sources and if Scalemates are correct this is no exception. They say it started life in 1959 as a product of a company called "Plastic Toy" who seem to be Italian, passed through the hands of Heller where it was "motorized", and reached SMER in the 1980's via another company called "Artiplast - talk about recycling!

Still, at that scale airbrushing the mottle may be possible. Must admit I was a little puzzled by the markings - the box appears to show a Swedish version, but then  I realised you had bought aftermarket decs - what scale have you gone for ?

I am sure it will make up nicely enough.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi,

a 1/40 kit? Woah!

But am I mistaken or is your decal sheet in 1/72?

Could be interesting.

Have fun, no matter what.

JR

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Ozzy,

Smer do seem to do some odd scales - seems to be reboxings from various odd sources and if Scalemates are correct this is no exception. They say it started life in 1959 as a product of a company called "Plastic Toy" who seem to be Italian, passed through the hands of Heller where it was "motorized", and reached SMER in the 1980's via another company called "Artiplast - talk about recycling!

Still, at that scale airbrushing the mottle may be possible. Must admit I was a little puzzled by the markings - the box appears to show a Swedish version, but then  I realised you had bought aftermarket decs - what scale have you gone for ?

I am sure it will make up nicely enough.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

wow thanks, one of the oldest kits I would have built. I did have to double take at the scale, the 1/48 italeri kit is like trying to find hens teeth. I made sure I could find some suitable decals prior to pressing buy on the kit.

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

a 1/40 kit? Woah!

But am I mistaken or is your decal sheet in 1/72?

Could be interesting.

Have fun, no matter what.

JR

Thanks Jean,

1/40 is a new one on me, it comes with a stand so I'm going to pop it on that. I've just double checked there 1/48 scale. Looks a nice kit I can do some proper modelling scraping away flash and a bit of sanding, looking forward to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

1/40 is a new one on me, it comes with a stand so I'm going to pop it on that.

Isn't this one of those box-scale kits where the kit has been scaled to fit in a standard box size?

Frog had those as well, IIRC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Isn't this one of those box-scale kits where the kit has been scaled to fit in a standard box size?

Im not entirely sure, having read @PeterB post the kit was probably more a toy than a serious scale model. It sounds like it was initially made before anything was really standardised in respect to the scales we have today.

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This should be interesting. I bought this kit years ago and never built it because of the odd scale.

Thanks Greg,

i had to double take as when I initially searched for 1/48th kits it came up, then I looked at the images it said 1/40. Looks an intresting build and given its age fairly well engineered.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Certainly there are some kits whch seem to qualify for the "fit the box" approach, though I do sometimes wonder if it might not have been more a case of fitting the moulding machine - probably not on reflection as the Frog B-47 at 1/207 and the B-52 at 1/320 would both only be about 6" long! Certainly many of the older Frog kits seem to fall into the above category, whether box of machine , with scales ranging from 1/68 for their Dragon Rapide  to 1/320 for their B-52D, and even 1/500 for the R-100, though quite a few seem to be grouped in the 1/96-1/99 scale, for example their V Bombers. I know it always used to annoy me no end as I was determined to build all my kits in the same scale of 1/72 and yet the only V Bombers available for many a year were in 1/96!

Whatever - it should be an interesting build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got a little distracted by building Miniarts omnibus, I've had a couple of hours this afternoon there's a fair bit of flash but nothing a sharp scalpel can't deal with. The kits going together well there's a little bit of fettling to do on the fuselage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks like a fun model Ozzy, and the pilot looks, well, art deco?

Thanks Charlie,

its a nice fun build and I know what you mean about the figure, the wings are sturdy 1 piece and the struts look substantial too. Looking forward to doing a bit more.

• Like 2

bit more done today, built the stand and got the lower wings and elevators on. I also got the wheels on, the engine cowling isn't secured as I need to paint inside.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

This working from is fantastic while I was uploading some documents, I managed to put an overcoat on her. I've got a hit and miss relationship with Vallejo airbrush paints, today I had no end of stoppages. I also picked up the transfers yesterday and unlike the first picture they are 1/48.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Just catching up with this build. Great subject! The delight of these group builds are some of the obscure kits that come through the posts. I'll enjoy watching this come together.

Ray

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Just catching up with this build. Great subject! The delight of these group builds are some of the obscure kits that come through the posts. I'll enjoy watching this come together.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

1/40 is a new one on me so far it's been a nice fun build, my next job is to workout the struts for the wing. The instructions have not numbers but unfortunately the sprues do not, I think I've got the general gist.

• Like 3

Got my mottle on today, I used Tamiya's hull red and RAF dark green. It's my first attempt at doing this with an airbrush, it definitely won't be the last.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

Nice one Ozzy. Airbrushing the mottle does give a nice diffused effect, but if I tried it would probably end up as a mess. Maybe one day on something bigger, such as my 1/72 He 177 Greif or perhaps my Ju 88-G nightfighter.

Cheers

Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Very nice paint work Ozzy,

That's looking really good 👍

Thanks Greg,

an afternoon well spent.

57 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Nice one Ozzy. Airbrushing the mottle does give a nice diffused effect, but if I tried it would probably end up as a mess. Maybe one day on something bigger, such as my 1/72 He 177 Greif or perhaps my Ju 88-G nightfighter.

Cheers

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

im glad it's an odd scale, I'm not sure if I'd have the same effect on a 1/72 build.

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well done that man. You have earn yourself a permanent position in the mottling department. 🤓

Thanks Greg,

I shall report there this morning 😀

• Haha 1