Tamiya 1/24 Nissan Skyline GT-R33

This one was a Father's Day gift that I thought I'd do a pretty straightforward build on. I did want to try the Tamiya lacquer paints though and this has been painted with LP-70 Gloss Aluminum and the Tamiya Lacquer clear.

r33_outside-19_1920x1080

The gloss aluminum has a nice fine metallic that feels much more in scale than their acrylic metallics in my opinion, but the clear is pretty thin compared to the Mr Color GX100 I have been using. It took a little over half a bottle and about 5 coats to get the shine I wanted. 

r33_outside-9_1920x1080

The only modifications to the kit were swapping in some Aoshima 19" Rays wheels, carbon decals on the spoiler element and a fine diamond mesh for the front grills from Hasegawa instead of the very coarse mesh included in the kit.

r33_outside-13_1920x1080

Overall, it's a well proportioned kit with my only complaints being mostly around the headlights - they are chrome behind the outer lens cover - no separate chrome bucket and clear lens as I would normally expect of Tamiya although I guess this is a 25 year old kit now.

r33_outside-11_1920x1080

These photos were taken in the new diorama I'm currently building - it allows a bit more freedom in terms of photo angles and composition than the simple backdrops I have been using. It will get more details over time and a bit more debris and grit once all of the pieces are in place.

r33_outside-7_1920x1080

And a few more shots:

r33_outside-24_1920x1080

r33_outside-18_1920x1080

r33_outside-22_1920x1080

Thanks for looking.

Martin.

• Like 19

Absolutely agree, you could easily pass some of those pics off as being the real car Martin, beautiful work again! 

47 minutes ago, gt6mkiii said:

It took a little over half a bottle and about 5 coats to get the shine I wanted. 

Is that shine as it came out of the airbrush, or have you wet polished/compounded it? 

Gorgeous Skyline!

Keith

• Thanks 1

This could be a new topic thread - Spot the Difference. Modellers put up images of finished models like yours and of the actual car and we have to guess which is which.

With yours, I think that would be a very hard job. Absolutely excellent!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Is that shine as it came out of the airbrush, or have you wet polished/compounded it? 

Thanks Keith. I did wet sand and polish the clear but I usually want to get it shiny enough that any of the areas that I can't wet sand, like intakes and vents etc. look shiny enough. I was pretty light on the wet sand and polish on this one as the clear felt a bit thinner than I've been used to with the GX100 clear. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gt6mkiii said:

Thanks Keith. I did wet sand and polish the clear but I usually want to get it shiny enough that any of the areas that I can't wet sand, like intakes and vents etc. look shiny enough. I was pretty light on the wet sand and polish on this one as the clear felt a bit thinner than I've been used to with the GX100 clear. 

Thanks Martin, it's a superb finish! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

Martin I'm convinced you could build a hobnail boot and display it in your photos and dioramas and it would be stunning. Just superb presentation of an other wise unexciting subject.

I'm forced to say this again so don't get angry - do this magic in 1/8 scale please. You could build a whole city and my old garage would fit right in.../C :devil:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

The gloss aluminum has a nice fine metallic that feels much more in scale than their acrylic metallics

100% agree.  As usual, your work is beyond compare.  But you didn't include the "fingers in the frame shot" :(.

Codger's funny.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, tagy said:

The Tamiya clear, you thinned that before spraying I assume? Did you use the tamiya lacquer thinner? And roughly what ratio? thanks!

Thanks! I did thin the Tamiya lacquer at pretty much a 1:1 ratio with Mr Colour Levelling Thinner. For comparison, I thin the Mr Color GX100 at about 3 - 3.5 parts thinner to 1 part clear. So an 18ml bottle of GX100 thinned is equal to about 3, 10ml bottles of Tamiya clear.

• Like 1

Hey Martin, nice car, nice build, sure 🙂...  (ok, better than I could ever do it) ... But your photo's! They are car mag quality. Beautiful presentation, you're really taking this photo thing to the next level. I'm hoping you'll give us a shot of the dio itself once you have completed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Codger said:

do this magic in 1/8 scale please.

Ha! This diorama base is 6' x 4' at 1/24 scale, I definitely do not have space for an 18' x 12' table.

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I'm hoping you'll give us a shot of the dio itself once you have completed it.

I will for sure but there's a lot left to do - basically the base and the surrounding walls and fence are in but now I need to fill in the rest of the stuff and then add all the little bits of dirt and grass etc. to make it look a little more lived in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gt6mkiii said:

Ha! This diorama base is 6' x 4' at 1/24 scale, I definitely do not have space for an 18' x 12' table.

I'm SURE you have a living room just sitting around doing nothing..........:whip:

• Haha 1