Hawker HunterF.5 Underwing Serials

Andy341

Hi, I am currently nearing completion of an Airfix Hunter F.5 and am using Fantasy Printshop decals, as I am finishing it in 41 Squadron markings.

My dilemma is in relation to the underwing serial numbers and how they were laid out on the early marks?  There appears to be two ways; linear i.e. WN966 or in the later block form.  There are few references to examine and none of of WN966.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom that may help?

Many thanks 

Andy

On 09/08/2020 at 23:26, Andy341 said:

Hi, I am currently nearing completion of an Airfix Hunter F.5 and am using Fantasy Printshop decals, as I am finishing it in 41 Squadron markings.

My dilemma is in relation to the underwing serial numbers and how they were laid out on the early marks?  There appears to be two ways; linear i.e. WN966 or in the later block form.  There are few references to examine and none of of WN966.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom that may help?

Many thanks 

Andy

The "block" underwing serial presentation on the Hunter appears to have been introduced from the Mk.4 (Avon powered) and the Mk.5 (Saphire powered) onwards in order that the recently introduced inboard pylon and 100 gal fuel tanks did not interfere with the visibility of the aircraft serial as the serial block was classified as a "Mandatory Marking".  As well as changing to block formation, the serial was presented between the pylon and the fuselage and in the most visible position possible.  The following photographs will illustrate this :-

spacer.png

Hunter F.Mk.1's of 54Sqdn with the linear presentation

spacer.png

Hunter F.Mk.4's of 43Sqdn.  Note also that two of the aircraft are still without "Sabrinas".  Having just completed a 

48th F.Mk.1 of 43Sqdn, I am still trying to ascertain whether or not the latter had Red painted nose wheel doors with

white code, as shown above,  or if they were in fact painted Black with white code for the simple reason that Red

seems to me to be such an odd colour for 43 to use

spacer.png

Hunter F.Mk.4's of 93Sqdn

spacer.png

Hunter FR.10 XE589 of 8Sqdn illustrating the block presentation inboard of the pylon.

Unfortunately I cannot find any photographs of a Mk.5 showing the undersurfaces but the old Eschelon 1/32nd instruction sheet has decals for 34Sqdn F.Mk.5 and calls for the "Block" presentation.

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for not responding to thank you earlier, for what can only described as a fully comprehensive answer.  This answers my question and helps immensely.  

I may be able to assist you with your question about the nose wheel door colour for your Mk1 from 43 Sqn.  I purchased Fantasy Printshop Airfile Decals for my 41 Sqn Hunter, which also offers 31 other markings of various RAF variants.  The instructions for a Mk1 Hunter from 43 Sqn state that it is indeed a red nose wheel door with white lettering.  I hope that this helps.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, sloegin57 said:

Having just completed a 

48th F.Mk.1 of 43Sqdn, I am still trying to ascertain whether or not the latter had Red painted nose wheel doors with

white code, as shown above,  or if they were in fact painted Black with white code for the simple reason that Red

seems to me to be such an odd colour for 43 to use

Dennis 

Could it be that the doors were in a flight colour, e.g. red for A Flight, blue for B Flight, etc?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just been directed to this thread because of my Mk 5 Echelon Hunter, I’m also facing the same dilemma regarding linear or block underwing serial numbers. My conclusion, and I’m talking exclusively 56 Squadron here in 1958, is that there was a real assortment. See the pictures below for a sample:

Recent research results as referenced above:

2YQkUX.jpg

AyuG51.jpg

and WP183 some time later:

nV5zm8.jpg

I imagine there was a lot of change and development going on with the Hunter mid-50s, so the importance of good reference pictures is key.

• Like 3