Simon Dyer

Hi everyone

Just thought I would introduce myself, my name is Simon, Im 56 & live in Essex

I will try to keep this a short as possible so as not to bore you.

Started modelling when I was 8-9 yo. First kit was a Hawker Fury Biplane with a tube of Airfix Cement (the white tube with the blue writing thats how long ago it was). Very wobbly and a mess to say the least. But from then hooked.

Spent all my pocket money, paper round wages and the pay from the part time job at the local butcher on kits & paint etc. Still impatient, not waiting for glue/paint to dry. But loved it

Things took over from there, life, beer & girls etc. Fast forward to the late 90's and started again seriously, compressor, extractor and all the bits, until again I had to stop again.

Started again about 9 months ago, have now got all the kit I got rid of in the 90's back and by hook or crook its going to stay, especially the Hansa 381 airbrush that I kept.

Once I get my head around the site I will post some pics of my latest build.

Look forward to conversing with you all.

Stay safe 

Simon

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

welcome on BM! You chose the right place.

I share a similar story, except that I do not drink beer... 

Yes please, put some photos of your builds here. You'll be amazed a the amount of positive comments you will get. Nothing like that to improve in leaps and bounds.

Cheers

JR

• 1 month later...

Welcome Simon, lots of enthusiasts with a wealth of knowledge.

I too started modelling at a young age...about 4 i think and my first Airfix was Ankylosaurus which I got for xmas, I woke up the following morning to find my Mum had built it for me, (she thought she was helping!), so I had a tantrum so they had to buy another so I could build it myself........Then came the booze and girls but not in that order i think!

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh dear

My apologies folks for not answering your warm welcomes from such a while back, thank you

Even after a few months (limited amount of time to do so) Im struggling a bit to get my head around the site.

Apologies and thanks again, I will try and be a bit more on the ball in future

Si

On 9/22/2020 at 4:29 AM, Julien said:

Welcome, is that picture of you in Hunter?

Apologies Julian for not replying, Ive just sent a reply to everyone.

Yes that is me at the tender age of 17 1/2 or so, some 9 months after joining the RAF.  Long long time ago now 😱

Again sorry for the 🐢 response