First WIP - Academy 1/144 B-1B - COMPLETE 13/09/2020

Thought I would give this a try, so in the interest of not embarrassing myself first time round (plenty time for that later, have a 1/72 TSR-2 waiting in my stash...) I picked something that's virtually idiot proof to build. Plus it's a kit that took 2 years to get to my country, much to my annoyance. So, some sexy sprue shots. 

Box: 

20200809_192918

Part trees in no particular order:

20200809_193156

20200809_193351

20200809_193247

20200809_193132

Will mainly be using Vallejo paints, with some Tamiya and others. 

Feel free to pass judgment at my worth as a modeler, good practice for Christmas lunch with the family 🙃

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
title
  • Like 4

It's a great kit!

I'm working on one as well, and there are only six slightly tricky seams to deal with: both sides of the forward fuselage, and both sides of the engine nacelles. I had to use some filler there, but otherwise it's a splendid kit.

Have fun!

7 hours ago, Bejay53 said:

Don’t forget the weight!

Never do 🙈! Anymore...

One thing I've forgotten that I've noticed missing in other builds here, specific paints used: VMA Dark Gull Grey (71.277) for the cockpit, Humbol OD 155 and Citadel Chaos Black (yes, the old one is still in my stash, the newer ones seem to dry out at the drop of a hat....) for the seats. 

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Looking forward to this! :popcorn:

So was I. It took just under 2 years from release for our local distributor to bring some in. Hopefully I don't wait that long for the 1/144 B-52 to get here....

Even though today was a public holiday, didn't get too much done on the Bone. However, I did clean up my work space so I'm reasonably chuffed with that! 

20200810_202146

Got the cockpit area decals done and everything varnished. 10g of weight added, should be enough, nothing mentioned in instructions. Tail assembly went together without a hitch. Futzed with the thingamabob that fits in the bomb bay, will do all the bombs sometime this week hopefully. And built both engine pods. Fit not as great as I would hope, but built way worse. 

20200810_202457

Applied my Tamiya Basic Putty thinned with some lacquer/cellulose thinner paste to the seams, will sand next session. Hopefully the fuselage halves get attached tomorrow, but work is looking a bit hectic so will see how tomorrow evening goes. 

• Like 2

Got the fuselage halves together, must admit the fit wasn't to great (expected) and annoyingly looks like the moulds are in need of some refurbishment, the panel lines look a bit shallow and/or faint. Oh well, my scribing needs serious practice, so nil desperandum. 

20200811_210142

20200811_210113

And as can be seen in the background, started working on the bombs. But that was a case of seam line and nub removal so won't bore you with pics. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Regarding the panel lines, some of them are actually non existent and will be added back as decals!

Have a look at C19& C20 on the decal sheet and their placements.

B-1B side

I've tried to highlight the problem. Some of those lines end in the middle of nowhere, and if you look carefully (probably not on my potato photo...) you can see a very faint indentation from where the line continues. It's not a major train smash, unlike my Academy 1/48 F-14 where the entire nose is devoid of lines and I need to dig up a really clear drawing to rescribe one day....  

Yeah, I agree with you. It's a bad area of the mold which doesn't match the rest of the parts.

The vertical panel lines that comes from the underside just ends in nothing without a horizontal line.

However, the C19 decal is very large!

50206787996_570d70cb27_o.jpg

Academy expects us to be happy with the horizontal line being a decal instead. :think:

Also note the extra squares that are included to stand in as panel lines for a few other hatches.

I've never seen anything like this before!

But at the end of the day, it is still the best B-1B in any scale on the market!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Yeah, I agree with you. It's a bad area of the mold which doesn't match the rest of the parts.

The vertical panel lines that comes from the underside just ends in nothing without a horizontal line.

However, the C19 decal is very large!

50206787996_570d70cb27_o.jpg

Academy expects us to be happy with the horizontal line being a decal instead. :think:

Also note the extra squares that are included to stand in as panel lines for a few other hatches.

I've never seen anything like this before!

But at the end of the day, it is still the best B-1B in any scale on the market!

I stand corrected. I looked at my PDF instructions and thought C19/20 were literally just the warning box & arrow. Will look at decal sheet tonight when I finish work. Still going to rescribe I think 🤔.

So, what have I done since the 12th. Firstly, work has been surprisingly busy for me so not exactly brimming with happiness when I got home. But still, managed to get some desk time. 

20200815_192835

Futzed with bombs, not complete and need some touching up but want to try get these done first. Someone on BM in a WIP thread I cannot remember mentioned he started with all the bits usually left until last to prevent them from getting rushed, so want to try and see if this idea can work for me. 

20200815_193207

Got both nacelles sanded and rescribed. Going to prime and see if any more work is needed soon. 

20200815_194604

Main landing gear assembled in situ and removed for painting. However, there is always a razor blade lurking in the candy floss of life....

20200815_194615

Whilst doing the nose gear, the two support struts broke off (by looking at the sprue, misplaced air bubbles formed along the runner 😐 ) and the bottom one flew off to land somewhere in my work room, on my off white tiles. It's now an ex-strut, pining for the fjords. So the nose gear had to get attached to get everything to stay in place. Bugger. Will work around this. But.... 

20200815_194816

I can now easily check if its a tail dragger. Yay! 

Anyway, tomorrow I want to rescribe the fuselage, putty seam and get some annoying injection pin marks on the bomb bay doors sorted. I'm hoping to prime soon! 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
spellingz...
  • Like 6

Okay, had a reasonably productive day today when the minion had an afternoon nap. 

20200816_142610

20200816_143233

Got the bomb bay and nose wheel doors injection pin free, kind of. It's the little ones surrounded by detail I struggle with. Hopefully the bomb cradles hide those ones....

20200816_152004

Applied the masks supplied in the kit. Please don't ask me how good they are, these are the first precut masks I've ever used! Two things though, firstly, they went okay so guess their not to shabby, and secondly I want more of these things! Looking at my 1/72 B-25 and it's greenhouse cockpit has been filling me with sad feelings. 

20200816_202735

Another first, tinted the canopy with a Tamiya X-19 & X-24 mix. Hopefully it doesn't look pants when I take the masks off. 

20200816_211312

And lastly, the state of play at the close of the weekend. Nearly ready to prime, some final sanding around wing roots left, nose cone and the 2 vane thingies to attach. Then priming and canopy interior colour painting. So hopefully by Wednesday this might start getting more interesting when I start slapping paint on in anger. 

• Like 3

So, got the model primed, however the seam on the front fuselage gave me endless hassles. It's almost like both the upper and lower sidewalls were slightly warped (but on opposite sides so both sides were hellbent on driving me nuts...), so spent a few evening of sanding, filling, going to work and continuing the following evening. Eurgh, think I got it sorted though. 

20200820_205329

Everything primed and a base coat of Tamiya XF-63 applied, ready for a few layers of FS36118. 

20200820_205807

My colour of choice. 

Things might get a bit more interesting this weekend, hoping to have the main colour done and at a bare minimum masking applied for the lighter gray panels on the tail and wing roots, and the wheel wells. Will see. 

• Like 2

Managed to get my Bones main colours 99% done this weekend. except for the tail-planes, only saw last night after taking the pics that I still need to put some FS 35237 on the leading edges. I believe my wife has mentioned something about reading instructions to me before.... 

20200823_212754_resized

and underneath...

20200823_212914_resized

The colours I used from Vallejo for the white & FS 35237.

20200823_212940_resized

Model is gloss coated with Tamiya X-22, ready for decals. This week I'm planning on getting all the little bits and bobs done, like the wheels, exhaust cones and bombs sorted. And the tail... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not much to add since the last week, due to life in general being slightly uncooperative. 

20200901_220941

20200901_221020

Normally I don't do this, but wanted to give it a try. Attached the landing gear, bombs and all the dangly door bits last night. Some of the decals go over them and not in the mood to screw that up like I have in the past on other builds. Will have to see how it goes when it comes time to do my washes and such. Still not sure how much, and how, I'm going to apply some light weathering. Want to give oils a stab at this, not something I've used in this manner before, so leaning towards giving dot filtering a try. 

Not photographed, wheels done using my new Tamiya circle template, can see this being of great help going forward. And the jet cans are painted and ready to be weathered. Also no idea how I'm going to do this, any video/other tutorials on how to do burnt metal effects would be appreciated...   

• Like 2

And decals are on, Cartograph are a pleasure to work with. 

20200905_171222

Must admit I was a bit nervous, the wing walkway markings came as 1 huge slab of carrier film with the outlines for the demarcation lines on the edges. It settled down nicely after some Tamiya Mark Fit and Micro Sol.

Now for the bit requiring patience. Need to give it a quick wipe with a damp piece of paper towel tonight, let it dry overnight and a light coat of X-22 tomorrow, give that a day to cure and then panel line washing Monday/Tuesday( still debating between Tamiya Black wash or Paynes Gray + Black oils...). Give that time to cure, 1 day for enamels or next weekend for oils. Then Matt coat and oil weathering time. 

So, what can I start? Can't decide between a DML 1/48 FW 190 A-7 (need RLM 80 for props and Swastika decals for tail), Academy 1/48 MiG-21 in Indian AF colours (ready to go) or an Airfix 1/72 McDonald's Doritos AV-8A Harrier (need to figure out the cockpit colour IE can I darken some Dark Gull Gray for the Dark Admiralty Grey?) All OOB, my photo etch stuff for my other kits is still in transit. 

• Like 1

Done the panel lines. Started off with Paynes Grey and Black oil paint, didn't like the look and used Tamiya Black enamel in the end. Tonight some Vallejo polyurethane (sp?) matt varnish and tomorrow/Sunday will give the oil dot weathering a spin. Nearly done! 

20200910_200700

On 21/08/2020 at 08:21, Christer A said:

Mine has reappeared now, after all decals are on...

Funny story, guess whats happened to mine on the other side....

Sigh. For anyone reading this in the future, strongly consider reinforcing the front fuselage joint from the cockpit to nose on the kit, either with plasticard tabs or using a piece or 2 of cut to length sprue to use as spacers in that area.  

• Like 2