1/32 A6M2 Zero - My first and very long build

The floor is almost done. Lots of extra parts were installed. I went for light wear here because I try to represent slightly used aircraft with some dirt here and there and possible wear where it may [or did] occur such as rudder pedals or "footplates". Nothing crazy and out of ordinary. 🙂

1hXvjZV.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Looking great. :) I will gladly follow this. Reading your intro I thought you were at my level, wrong! That is some great looking stuff! ;)

I am about to build my second 1732 Tamiya P-51D and I think those big kits are great. A lovely time but I think you might have built the Spit, you seem to be up to it. The camo is not that hard, just get a paint mask, there are decent ones for decent prices. After this? ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Looks pretty darn good to me!

Iain

Thank you, Iain! I appreciate your frankness. 😉

5 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking great. :) I will gladly follow this. Reading your intro I thought you were at my level, wrong! That is some great looking stuff! ;)

I am about to build my second 1732 Tamiya P-51D and I think those big kits are great. A lovely time but I think you might have built the Spit, you seem to be up to it. The camo is not that hard, just get a paint mask, there are decent ones for decent prices. After this? ;)

Hahaha! Thanks! 😄 But please, don't be hard on yourself. We all strive to do the best we can! 😉

Yes, these kits seem to be great (according to other people opinions and experiences) and pack a lot of nice details. Of course, Tamiya tend to omit some important parts/details or incorrect paint guidance; but if you do some research along the way as well as use aftermarket parts, you can have a decently correct model (~90-95% I would say). I was thinking about the Spitfire until I discovered SWS Zoukei Mura kits. Then I lost my mind... 😲 Given my speed and attention to detail, I have an array of choices of their kits for years to come. 😆

• Thanks 1

Great work on the cockpit, and I can’t see anything wrong with the pictures.

You’e making me want to start mine ( which I’ve had since it was first released ) but I promised myself that this year I would concentrate on finishing rather than starting.

Keep up the good work.

John

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Great work on the cockpit, and I can’t see anything wrong with the pictures.

You’e making me want to start mine ( which I’ve had since it was first released ) but I promised myself that this year I would concentrate on finishing rather than starting.

Keep up the good work.

John

Thank you for nice words John. I can't believe you have this kit for more than 10 years and hadn't build it yet! Wow! How come?

• Thanks 1

I’ve actually had it for more than 15 years which was when we moved to France. I built a lot of 1/32 aircraft at the time and got a good deal on this one so snapped it up to keep for later then it got buried at the bottom of a box when we moved. I might get around to it one day but my build rate is so slow it would take at least a year!

John

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:11 PM, luftmodels said:

Tough nut. Took me hours to get this result. Extremely small and fiddly just like neurosurgery where you can't touch anything with your bare fingers, the tools are must and the only mean of working with such tiny and delicate details. This half result took me hours to achieve, and still have more to accomplish...

8gc1nur.jpgoObWIVw.jpg

Seat belts on. Due to the stiffness of paper, it took some time to shape them in proper form. Being in a proper scale, they still seem a bit big without a pilot, and this made them a bit cumbersome to properly organize/place and attach to the seat. Just like I said before, I'm not particularly impressed with the amount of effort it took and the outcome I received. Next time I will try some PE option and see what is better.
But for now, this part/cockpit section is 100% complete.

5V6utUt.jpg

This is absolutely brilliant!
Following along if I may :)

• Like 3

On 8/29/2020 at 1:17 AM, Biggles87 said:

I’ve actually had it for more than 15 years which was when we moved to France. I built a lot of 1/32 aircraft at the time and got a good deal on this one so snapped it up to keep for later then it got buried at the bottom of a box when we moved. I might get around to it one day but my build rate is so slow it would take at least a year!

John

I get it now. Yeah, I would say it takes a lot of time in order to get it right with no rush. At least I prefer to take it slow in order to enjoy my research along the way and assembling fiddly PE parts. 😄

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This is incredible work!

Thank you, Adam! So much appreciated. 😉

• Like 2

Getting it all together. The cockpit is pretty much complete. Now is the most exciting part of putting it all together. I love this part of a model building because it allows you to appreciate all the hard work and numerous hours put in creation [cutting, sanding, polishing, priming, painting, weathering] of every single detail. Enjoy for your amusement. This is part I.
LkNimYS.jpg

• Like 15

:wow:.....  

EXQUISITE workmsnship .

I really love your STUNNING detailed work.

The propeller  is mighty IMPRESSIVE  and your cockpit, the details in there are OUTSTANDING.   :clap:

I don't  think I have seen seat belts  that look  SO realistic  as yours on a model anywhere *either on this scale  or any other *.

Just STUPENDOUS  build so far.

:heart:

I cannot wait to get back to see your ZERO. 

love it.

:worthy:   :worthy:

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, woody37 said:

Just come across this, beautiful work on the pit :)

Thank you for stopping by! 😉 I appreciate it.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:52 AM, Biggles87 said:

The cockpit looks very realistic.

Looking at the last picture made me realise just how vulnerable the pilot was, no armour and holes in the seat!

John

I totally agree. The one should be completely fearless in order to fly in it. On top of that, these holes in the seat should be much larger (Tamiya made them out of scale).

18 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

:wow:.....  

EXQUISITE workmsnship .

I really love your STUNNING detailed work.

The propeller  is mighty IMPRESSIVE  and your cockpit, the details in there are OUTSTANDING.   :clap:

I don't  think I have seen seat belts  that look  SO realistic  as yours on a model anywhere *either on this scale  or any other *.

Just STUPENDOUS  build so far.

:heart:

I cannot wait to get back to see your ZERO. 

love it.

:worthy:   :worthy:

Oh.. wow! Didn't expect such reaction! 😅 Thank you so much for your feedback! 😉 I can't express enough how hard it was to make these fiddly seat-belts and then attach them to the seat. They were so tough to bend and lay the way they supposed to go, I've decided not to use them in future. They look great but the hassle is not worth it (in my opinion).

The prop was another PITA story. But I think this is due to my ever complicated "perfectionism" to get it right because I know there are products out there and it is possible to achieve desired finish. 🙏🏻