Whippet Mk A (1/35 Meng)

APA

What a wonderful kit. I loved every minute building this. Nice and relatively simple, some very good detail, the linked tracks are a breeze to assemble and stay together through painting etc. Lots of options for scratch building and an interesting subject. It's not that small either considering. 

Research showed me that they were all a little different and so I took liberties with the kit. I was meaning to do this a chocolate brown but after I had sprayed it it seems to be rather green! I think this would pass as a very late one which apparently were green and had all the red/white markings.

Scratch built elements are the footplate, storage box, cleat holders on all sides and the track covers including the tiny springs which I am quite proud of 😎

All was going well until I applied the gloss coat for pinwash and decals. It was a very hot day and it dried instantly. I ended up with a frosted whippet!! 

Weathering was supposed to be subtle however the rust where the cleats rub against the hull was over done, as is my want grrr.

I have to say the decals are excellent. Using Mr color setter etc they went on beautifully and you cannot see the join at all. Very nice indeed.

Full build pics are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143851440@N06/albums/72157715400460707

and here is the result;

20200802_165544

20200802_165536

20200802_165518

20200802_165527

20200802_165505

20200802_165600

20200802_165510

20200802_165618

Cheers

A

Edited by APA
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty,  not my era so I tend to overlook but so glad I didn't. Paintwork and weathering are exceptionally.

Great modelling is great modelling regardless of scale, era or subject!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Thanks jasper. I resisted the temptation to plaster it in mud and glad I did. 

BTW it rattles as well! I thought 4 machine guns was to much and took the rear one out. The inner portion fell inside and that was that 😂

A

• Haha 1

Absolutely stonking build there!. You seem to doubt the effects of your weathering but I would say it is superb.

A really impressive rendition of the Whippet.

Terry

• Like 1

To me weathering is why I model. My personal demon though is the logic of the weathering and when to stop. I get carried away. For example on the front top and underside I doubt it would get that muddy because of the height. If it went into a ditch it might get muddy but not like that. Also I've covered up the afternoons work of masking and spraying the red/white markings🙄 Also the bloody great fingerprint on the Hull doesn't help 🙄😂

A

Edited by APA

Cheers all

It's a very interesting element in the development of tanks.(along with the Renault FT but that's, well, French 😁) The change from 'land ship' to tactical weapon in its own right. 

I think WW1 stuff still has a touch of victorian, even medieval about it which is very interesting. 

Thought I'd add the canvas track covers as a point of difference as most didn't use them. I would highly recommend this kit. 

A

9 hours ago, APA said:

BTW it rattles as well! I thought 4 machine guns was to much and took the rear one out. The inner portion fell inside and that was that 😂

A

Well I won't tell anyone if you don't!🤫😉

It's so good I've almost been tempted.....

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

Very nicely done. The weathering looks great, and the little touches of equipment and field modifications really bring it to life. Whats that in the storage box, under the chain? 

And this may be a dumb question, but which way is forwards on the whippet? 

• Like 1

Ah you spotted the little box 👍 it's a random box of 'liberated' something nothing specific. I just made it and painted it. Possibly wine, cognac or cigars, take your pick 😁

In the first picture it's pointing to the right. The engine is at the front with the fighting compartment at the back. A bit like a steam train if that helps. 

And thanks for liking it. 🙏

A

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Murdo said:

An excellent rendition of a rather fascinating tank!           :thumbsup:

The extras in the box certainly add realism.

Don't mention the f*print and nobody will notice it.         

Tah

We'll call it a 'Makers mark' shall we 😏

A

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

Thise greenish tinged brown is a great color choice. Your "fenders" are something new to me. Those were made from canvas? Interesting.

Glad you like it.

The track covers were a thing. That's what the arms front and back are for. I read somewhere that non survived but yes they were canvas and attached via 3 springs per end. They seem to be optional. 

Screenshot_20200813-095617_Google

Screenshot_20200813-095632_Google

Screenshot_20200813-095607_Google

A

• Like 1