Supermarine Seafire NN341/3A “Eyes of the Fleet”

I started building this Seafire as part of the Spitfire and Seafire Group Build but unfortunately ran out of time.  At last I have managed to finish it.

Supermarine Seafire NN341/3A

886 NAS 3rd NFW Lee on Solent June ‘44

Lt RM Crosley

‘D’ Plus 1, Wednesday 7th June ’44.

Lo and behold I saw another one like the first (Crosley had tried to stalk an aircraft a few minutes before), heading in a straight line for Deauville.  This time I determined to take a good overtaking speed to make sure what he was, quickly.  The top of the cloud was about 2000 feet below me and with 18 pounds of boost, everything shaking and clattering at about 360 knots on the way down, I was catching up fast.  I still wasn’t sure whether he was one of ours.  I got in behind him, very close indeed before I saw the black crosses on the side of his fuselage.  I skidded behind him again as best I could without wasting time.  He still had not seen me, but there was not much time left as I was going too fast for comfort and was overtaking him.   I pressed the gun button at about 150 yards range for about two seconds, seeing many hits with the cannon on his wing and port fuselage.  I pulled up to the left to avoid hitting him.  I also felt as if he might have a number 2 up-sun of me, ready to pounce.  I still could not understand how anyone could be so stupid to fly alone in full view of everyone above him and towards a beach-head crowded with our own fighters, unless he was a decoy”.

“I reversed the pull up and had a look for him.  I just caught sight of him, end on, before he hit the ground at the edge of the cloud cover, 3000 or 4000 feet below”.

I flew back weaving all the way expecting a furious German to come at me at any moment”.

On landing I found that I had only used 20 cannon rounds per gun”.

RM Crosley ‘They Gave me a Seafire’.

Kit:- Special Hobby 1/48 ‘Eyes of the Fleet’ boxing.

Paint:-  Xtracrylics, Tamiya.

Decals:- Kit & generic Xtradecals set.

50206650597_8164ea4982_b.jpg

50206650887_6693f0fa6e_b.jpg

50206650987_f61b38794b_b.jpg

50206650507_f9dc51e9a6_b.jpg

50206650557_60b3d48732_b.jpg

50205849718_833bfb078d_b.jpg

50205849358_a87d727f39_b.jpg

50206650447_8dee44118b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in..

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

That's a great looking Seafire. I wasn't aware they encountered German forces, having only read they were used in the Pacific. I've never built a Spitfire, much less a Seafire, but you BM folks are going to have me building one yet.

• Like 2

Lovely job, currently reading his book and its nice to relate your Seafire to it, I had only read about his spotting duties the other week, we are now into the Far East, quite a riveting read!

BZ!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Lovely job, currently reading his book and its nice to relate your Seafire to it, I had only read about his spotting duties the other week, we are now into the Far East, quite a riveting read!

BZ!

I’m going the other way in the book.  I have plans to build Crosley’s Operation Torch Sea Hurricane sometime next year.  Unfortunately there is no chance on identifying his Pedestal Hurricane..

• Like 1