1/144 Royal Jordanian Airlines Caravelle 10R

Amodel's Sud Aviation Caravelle 10R finished off in the markings of The Royal Jordanian Airlines (courtesy of Classic Airlines decals 144-030)

BFtQPd3.jpg

The build was relatively straight forward although the undercarriage caused serious issues once again. Unfortunately, I managed to hash up the paint scheme on more than one occasion - nothing to do with the decals!

Still not too sure how I managed to get this one over the line to be honest. I guess it must have been a dogged determination not to be beaten by paint and polystyrene.

Ngwg5J4h.jpg

fHceqJLh.jpg

6hsGAueh.jpg

zehcwprh.jpg

Side-profile :

btcBskh.jpg

...and the "with something else" shot. My VIASA Caravelle III :

jvjWnax.jpg

Back to the bench.

R9LWs2K.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Stunningly finished Caravelle-well done on getting it over the line. There’s nothing worse than battling with a model, though some would say it’s all part of the fun!?! 
I really rate Classic-Airlines decals as they have a really diverse range of decals for both 1/200 and 1/144.

• Like 1

Beautiful!  Absolutely gorgeous, and it looks right to me.  Did you happen to compare the wing sweep on the A-Model kit with the Airfix product?  I have some memory that the A-Model kit's wing sweep is just a bit exaggerated, but as I wrote--it looks fine here.  I do wish A-Model (are you listening?) would do this in 1/72 scale.

Really nice  job,classic aircraft and livery, Lovely.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Very nice build, Mike. Really enjoy the Caravelles...they are so elegant, and you have done well! Love them BOTH! Glad you persevered....no one should be beaten by paint and polystyrene! And indeed...back to the bench to share something else! Nice work!

• Like 1

Many thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, roginoz said:

A beautiful build of, imho, the most beautiful and stylish JET airliner ever build. So typically French ! 

If it wasn't for the VC-10, I'd have to agree with you there roginoz 😆

On 8/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, Skodadriver said:

... It certainly doesn't show any sign of the problems you had....

Dave G

On 8/9/2020 at 6:40 PM, Chanex said:

... There’s nothing worse than battling with a model, though some would say it’s all part of the fun!?!

On 8/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Moa said:

... The struggle is not visible,...

20 hours ago, Graeme H said:

... it's the struggle along the way and achieving that finish that makes it all worthwhile.

19 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

... no one should be beaten by paint and polystyrene!...

I'm afraid that there were loads of issues, but all of my own making. The Classic Airlines decals were excellent, but photos of the real plane showed a white pin stripe below the cheatline which tapered from the front door to just under the nose. This involved some tricky masking work which worked out quite well the first time around. Unfortunately, I damaged the silver surface and my attempt to do a spot repair messed everything up. A bit of sanding and a second set of decals got me over the line, but then painting the black nose cap messed things up again. It was sanded back to the wings, repainted and a third set of decals were applied! (Nick was rubbing his hands in glee and must have been wondering why I was building three Caravelles !). Anyway, it was a case of third time lucky although I was twitchy enough about the tapering on the Port side to do a micro-masking job - What possessed me?!

...and then there was the undercarriage - nasty business going on under there.

21 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  Absolutely gorgeous, and it looks right to me.  Did you happen to compare the wing sweep on the A-Model kit with the Airfix product?  I have some memory that the A-Model kit's wing sweep is just a bit exaggerated, but as I wrote--it looks fine here.  I do wish A-Model (are you listening?) would do this in 1/72 scale.

I probably read about a potential isue with the wing sweep, but I didn't measure it or compare it to the Airfix kit. To be honest, it looks like a Caravelle and that's good enough for me. 🥳

Plans for the future? I'm keen on building an RJA Boeing 720 using 26 decals, but I'm not 100% sure of the cheatline colours? Ray obviously has restrictions with regards to metallic colours and I have a nasty suspicion that the lower half of the cheatline is actually gold?  https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-720_JY-ADT_royal-jordanian-airlines_363139_large.html

If anyone can give me a definitive answer, I'll pull a 720 out of the loft and make a start.

Best Regards

mike

• Like 2

On 09/08/2020 at 12:33, mitchem said:

Still not too sure how I managed to get this one over the line to be honest.

Glad you did Mike as she's a beauty - and doesn't show any of the problems you were whinging at me about....!! 🤣

Lovely job again! 

Keith

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mitchem said:

the lower half of the cheatline is actually gold?

FWIW, I agree.

But given your masking skills as shown on the caravelle, painting it could be an option? :) That 720 is a lovely jet!

Oh, and the September comp date is the 23rd, so get cracking....!! (Gav hasn't sorted out how the comp will work yet though!)

K

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mitchem said:

Plans for the future? I'm keen on building an RJA Boeing 720 using 26 decals, but I'm not 100% sure of the cheatline colours? Ray obviously has restrictions with regards to metallic colours and I have a nasty suspicion that the lower half of the cheatline is actually gold?  https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-720_JY-ADT_royal-jordanian-airlines_363139_large.html

Hi Mike.

The Alia cheatline is metalic gold but due to laser printing limitations is is simulated gold.

Interestingly I have just released the Caravelle decal in the red & gold hockey stick livery :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

FWIW, I agree.

But given your masking skills as shown on the caravelle, painting it could be an option? :) That 720 is a lovely jet!

Oh, and the September comp date is the 23rd, so get cracking....!! (Gav hasn't sorted out how the comp will work yet though!)

K

Thanks Keith. Comp model is well under way, but......(Gav is still trying to work out how to rig the vote ?) 🤣

8 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Hi Mike.

The Alia cheatline is metalic gold but due to laser printing limitations is is simulated gold.

Interestingly I have just released the Caravelle decal in the red & gold hockey stick livery :)

Many thanks for the confirmation Ray. As for the new Caravelle decal sheet...let's just say that I've developed a nasty habit of checking your website every morning before the news or the weather. I was sorely tempted this morning, but I managed to resist as I already have your Alia Boeing 720 sheet and a Roden kit to hand. Not to say that it has ever stopped me from buying an extra decal sheet without having a model to put it on.... 😀

Best Regards

mike

• Haha 1