AW-101 - Tokyo Police

My third build for this GB is going to be an AW-101 - this one:

245547-11761-71-pristine.jpg

I'm using the Revell Merlin HC.3 kit, which will need a few modifications (mostly new windows) but apart from that should do the job. Here's the sprue shot:

Revell Merlin

Decals will be a little more challenging. The Scalemates image is from a Japanese-produced decal sheet which has been out of print for about 17 years and I can't find anywhere - in any case if I found it anywhere outside Australia it would take until the end of the GB to get here! So I'll be printing my own decals - mostly - I have a Hasegawa police boxing of the Revell EC-135 and EC-145 kits which has a few decals that will be useful. I'll get started in the next few days.

cheers

Julian

• Like 14

Nice choice Julian, it will certainly be a colourful build. The kit goes together with little fuss (I built the Italeri Cormorant some years ago, same moulds). I have a couple of other HC3 kits as well and wouldn't mind having a go at one of hem soon.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slowly getting going with this over the last couple of weeks and I'm starting to focus on it a bit more now. It seemed like a good idea to start with the modifications to the windows, so I've cut out the extra window apertures and filled them with clear resin - it needs some smoothing and polishing, which I've not quite finished yet. I've also removed the mount for the FLIR turret on the nose cone and started filling it. So here's where I'm up to (various interior bits are in the garage with paint drying as well):

EH-101 WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 7

Once the windows were done (not entirely satisfied with them, but they'll do) I made pretty quick progress:

EH-101 WIP

I've also made a start on the decals. Going to be going to a proper printer for these rather than doing them myself, so I can get some white decals done, but going to combine it with custom decals for a couple of other builds so there's a bit of drawing work to do.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 4

Got some paint on it over the last couple of days. The silver is Tamiya lacquer Mica Silver, and the metallic blue is from Gunze's Mr Metallic Color range. The metallic blue looks rather nice! Two casualties though - I managed to knock the nose undercarriage leg off, and the tail came off when I was removing the masking tape. Both of them are clean breaks so should be easily fixed. Might as well leave them off until I've finished painting though.

AW101 WIP

The lighter blue goes on next, then there's a dayglo band and a few details to paint. After that I get to try my custom-printed decals.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Jinxman said:

The metallic blue and silver reminds me of something Gerry Anderson would have concocted - it looks very smart.

It’s not far off the colour scheme of the Fireflash!

AW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Great job so far, hope the home made decals work well.👍

Thanks! I hope so too. I haven’t printed them myself - I needed to get some white decals printed for this and some other projects so I got some coloured ones done at the same time. They look a lot better than my printer would have produced so I’m pretty hopeful.

• Like 1