Flyhawk HMS Illustrious (1/700)

Richard502

The Facebook link has images of the model and it states 1/700, code FH1116, HMS Illustrious, 1940. Looks very nice indeed!

Also a 1/700 HMS Invincible from 1914, code FH1311.

Simon

The retooled Aoshima Illustrious isn't that bad to be honest, but a Flyhawk 1/700 will be superb. I'm guessing by the 19140 period that they will use the FAA Aircraft Set 1 from the Hermes and do a Taranto raid boxing.

Hopefully they will do a late war Formidable or Victorious (they have already announced Formidable but no time frame) as it would be nice to get later war British FAA types such as the Seafire, Barracuda and Firefly 

Sorry if I missed an obvious date but is there any indication when we should expect Invincible to be available?

Also how are Flyhawk kits in general for someone who doesn't normally build ships? I usually focus on aircraft but having read quite a bit about her, including letters from a gunnery officer who served on her at the Falklands and Jutland (where he was one of the only survivors) this has some appeal to me.

27 minutes ago, Qel said:

Sorry if I missed an obvious date but is there any indication when we should expect Invincible to be available?

Also how are Flyhawk kits in general for someone who doesn't normally build ships? I usually focus on aircraft but having read quite a bit about her, including letters from a gunnery officer who served on her at the Falklands and Jutland (where he was one of the only survivors) this has some appeal to me.

Very ting parts. Very tiny instructions. I have a few but remain intimidated. Mainly an aircraft Modeller as well.

They are buildable but many pictures of real one,  tiny forceps and magnification equipment is very helpful. There are a lot of small parts but the fit is good. The instructions could be a lot better.

I'm still hoping for a HMS Belfast (mostly since Trumpeter doesn't seem like they'll ever make good on that promise, but also since Flyhawk would be preferable), so I'm happy to see that they're still interested in British boats.

On 09/08/2020 at 22:32, Qel said:

Also how are Flyhawk kits in general for someone who doesn't normally build ships?

Good fit, good crisp moulding with very little in the way of flash or so, extremely well detailed, quite a lot of small parts spread over a massive number of sprues, somewhat messy instructions that would benefit a lot from being scaled up by 50% or so.

Edited by Parrahs
A ( calls for a ).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2020 at 21:32, Qel said:

The 1999 hobby japan website just got Invincible in stock (I think, their website is hard to follow in English).

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10715239

Assuming that is correct, expect to see it in Europe in a month or two.

Flyhawk kits are absolutely the best on the market at the minute, great detail and fit. They generally have two levels of boxing, one just with plastic and a simple PE set for railings and the Fancier set referred to as Deluxe with more PE and often turned brass gun barrels and resin bits.

The instructions are pretty pants though and the PE (if you go for a Deluxe boxing) is quite challenging.

That said, I would urge you to build one and if you are up for it I would thoroughly recomend going full out and trying the Deluxe boxing with all of the PE and resin goodies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likewise about Invincible - I've seen various kits of WWI RN battleships (Dreadnought, & Warspite, Barham QE in both WWI and WW2 guise), but haven't seen any battlecruisers aside from this one!

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

Likewise about Invincible - I've seen various kits of WWI RN battleships (Dreadnought, & Warspite, Barham QE in both WWI and WW2 guise), but haven't seen any battlecruisers aside from this one!

Maybe not in plastic, but Combrig has an extensive range of multimedia RN WWI ship kits in 1/700.

http://combrig-models.com/index.php/products/1700/royal-navy-1860-1918

• Thanks 1