1/72 Special Hobby Fairey Barracuda Mk III

I have a heap of Special Hobby 1/72 kits in the stash (the FAA is strongly represented by this manufacturer) but haven't yet plucked up the courage to have a go at one. They look a bit scary, none of those little guide pins for a start! Anyone remember that French & Saunders guitar sketch? Anyway, I'm going to take on a Barracuda, a shining light in the Fairey Aviation Company's fine tradition in manufacturing pig-ugly aircraft.

There are some plastic bits that you an see through, and some other plastic bits that you can't, and some resin bits, but no photo-etch bits, unusually for SH, but I think there's an aftermarket set that might be worth having. Three schemes, one TSS, one EDSG/sky and an all-over gloss blue one with type D roundels that potentially would look smart, but every time I've tried a kit in that colour they've looked a bit like a kid's toy. But they're quick and easy to paint with a rattle can. I'll decide which scheme I'm going to do further down the line.

Hopefully I'll get this out of the way before my first GB kicks off (can't remember just at the moment if it's Heller or MTO III). But before anything gets glued or painted I'll probably spend a good deal of time researching, dry-fitting and planning. 

spacer.png

• Like 15

Yes, good luck. I built one of the Special Hobby Barracudas not too long ago.  Typical short-run challenges. Be careful with the canopy, I managed to put a horrible crack in mine and had to vacuform a replacement. 

Here’s my WIP in case you’re interested:

- Bill

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:09 AM, billn53 said:

Yes, good luck. I built one of the Special Hobby Barracudas not too long ago.  Typical short-run challenges. Be careful with the canopy, I managed to put a horrible crack in mine and had to vacuform a replacement. 

Here’s my WIP in case you’re interested:

- Bill

Thanks for that, I had a look and you did a cracking job. I think though that your kit was different to mine which is at least ten years old, for a start there isn't any wheel well detail on min and I don't have those supporting mouldings on the wing roots, just a flat join (which will be interesting!) Also my instructions are black and white. I'm guessing SH have issued a new tool in recent years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to this. As the proud owner of an ancient FROG kit of this, I'm interested to see what else there is in the interior besides a long floor and two comfy chairs...

I'm going to start having a tinker later this evening, I'll let you know!

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to this. As the proud owner of an ancient FROG kit of this, I'm interested to see what else there is in the interior besides a long floor and two comfy chairs...

Regards,

Adrian

Take a look at @The Baron's build of a year or so ago, that should tell you all you need to know.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Take a look at @The Baron's build of a year or so ago, that should tell you all you need to know.

Martian 👽

I looked but there’s no content under that name?

I have the 'Home Fleet' version in the stash Tony so I'll follow along if I may :) 

20 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I think though that your kit was different to mine which is at least ten years old

According to Scalemates your MkIII is their 2004 rebox of the MPM with updated parts. They did a 2019 version with the same box art, a version of my 2016 Mk II new tool but with new parts.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I have the 'Home Fleet' version in the stash Tony so I'll follow along if I may :) 

According to Scalemates your MkIII is their 2004 rebox of the MPM with updated parts. They did a 2019 version with the same box art, a version of my 2016 Mk II new tool but with new parts.

Thanks for that. I was about to buy a photoetch thingy "for Special Hobby kits" but it occurred to me that this would be the new kit and it wouldn't necessarily fit mine. There appears to be ab Airwaves one for the MPM kit I can use though. I think I'll pick up some masks to make life less painful when doing the greenhouse canopy too.

• Like 1

Turns out that PE for the MPM kit can't be found in stock anywhere, and I doubt it will ever be remade as it's an old kit. Can maybe gamble on the PE set that's been made for the new kit, or just work with what I've got...

• Like 1

This should be interesting as I dragged out this old model that's in my stash. Lucky to have both Airwaves update sets for this kit, SC72-131 Barracuda Wing Fold Set and 72225 Barracuda Cockpit, Cabin and Exterior details P/E set with my kit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

This should be interesting as I dragged out this old model that's in my stash. Lucky to have both Airwaves update sets for this kit, SC72-131 Barracuda Wing Fold Set and 72225 Barracuda Cockpit, Cabin and Exterior details P/E set with my kit.

I’ve decided not to get too hung up about PE bits I’ll never be able to get hold of and just work with the kit. Maybe a bit of basic scratch building. Look forward to seeing your take on it with the extra embellishments.

• Like 1

It turns out I am genuinely unable to work on more than one build at a time so I'm going to put this one on the indefinite back burner and do it between my Dragon Rapide and upcoming group builds! 😁

• Like 2