Tinkercad .stl files to Anycubic Photon 3D printer

mbdesignart

Hi 3D Gurus,

Currently I use Tinkercad to generate a 3D model then send this as an .stl file to Shapesways for printing in their Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic, also known as Frosted Detail Plastic, Resin-based Acrylic Plastic, Photopolymer, to create the master. During the file upload process there's some jiggery-pokery [note use of technical term 🤨] that goes on to make sure the model will print. If I use a Tinkercad generated file is there an intermediate software process I need to use before loading to the Anycubic? Also, if needed, which software is compatible with a Mac?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Have a look at points 13 and 14 in the section above i.e. 3D printing basics. there is the software that comes with the printer that manipulates the STL file for supports etc for printing.

I am sure now that as long as we have STL file we can get these to print...... between all the guys here and you tube I am sure we will crack it. I still have some nerves about it all but that is just going into the unknown.

I pushed the button just after we spoke went for printer, wash station and some veggie resin......should be fun, at least my resin is going vegan even though I am not, I am off to do the BBQ now with a steak.....

Ali

• Like 1

Mark, Ali - no rocketscience going on there. If you have an STL file on hand the next step is slicing and preparing your model. What you need to do is fire up the software coming with your printer or chitubox. Load the model and place it on the virtual buildplatform. Then let automagically create supports or do them yourself when you become more experienced. Safe (!), then let it slice. Slicing is the process that translates the 3d model into layers and is basically the same process that happens with shapeways. Only this time there might be no warnings and autocorrections if you have too small or badly placed parts. Think of it as shapeways "print it anyway" option. Save the sliced file as well - this is the one that goes to your printer.

Mark, I don't know if the mentioned slicers have a Mac version available, but might very well be.

I've compiled a list of software from user input, there are some slicing options in there:

Jan

• Like 1