Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk XIVc highback

This one started life in the Spitfire/Seafire GB, but I am a slow builder and ran out of time completing it. I'll post the continuation of the build here if I may.

This one is a highback, 'C' wing conversion of the Airfix Spitfire XIVe kit, representing NH698, DL-F flown by Ken Collier of 91 Squadron. Ken was apparently flying this plane when he was the credited as the first pilot to 'tip' a V1 out of the sky using his wingtip.

The build now has paint, decals, some light weathering, wear and tear added, and is waiting on a finishing satin coat and D-Day stripes before final assembly. I took the Squadron codes, serial and nose letter from an Airfix Spitfire Mk XII (2 decal sheets used). This kit has DL-K; the 'K' was modified into an 'F'. The serial characters were also taken from this sheet, with the 'H' cobbled from an 'M'. The Squadron codes are a bit disappointing - they looked ok on the sheet, but appear more like Sky Blue than Sky on the model. I am hoping the D-Day stripes lessen the disparity. Upper wing roundels also came from the Mk XII kit, and lower wing roundels from a Red Roo sheet. The latter appear to have a slightly larger than normal white but having a separate red I didn't see this until too late. Perhaps a later version? I think I can live with it.

Not one of my better efforts, but I think it will look ok on the shelf when done - perhaps towards the back.

p?i=e9ee9241cc545d3f4924eb02beae4ef7

p?i=07d1f2ada74153e1d3c5ab60df675197

p?i=98d9bc602a2c6d4862368eac30137ea4

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 2

Thanks Pete I have just been back through your WIP and seen all your hard work.  A Mk V rear section, great work .  I built the Academy kit a long time ago using the Daco nose correction, which does improve things somewhat, but still is too deep.  I have a 32nd scale conversion for a MkXIV high back using the Revell MkIX as a donor so will see how that goes when I eventually get round to it.

Great conversion work  you have done there Pete.

All the best

Chris

Sorry Chris, should have added that the back was 'donated' by an Airfix Mk V, but my laptop was hassling me for an update so I had to keep the reply short. It does need a little fettling but works very well. I couldn't bring myself to build the Academy kit, it just looks wrong. A Mk XIV will look great in 1/32! Good luck with that one. :) 

The 'C' wing conversion was a lot easier than I thought it would be - just needs to be taken steady, one step at a time.

• Like 1