Fine Molds Me 109F4 3 Squadron RAAF

Hi,

This is a model I built a few years back but was never completely happy with. The main reason was the Humbrol colours of mid stone and dark earth were so similar in tonal value they blended together as a muddy overall brown coverage. After one of the members of another forum I'm a member of drastically redid a Martlet he'd mis interpreted the instructions for, I was encouraged to do the same to this 109. I'd picked up a set of Sovereign Colourcoats for RAF Desert Scheme at Model Expo a year or so back and decided to try them out on the 109. I was very pleased with the results, matching the colour chips in the RAF museum book and the contrast seen in photos.

This 109 is less famous than "Black 6" which was restored to flying a while back however it was another airframe captured by 3 Squadron RAAF and brought back to operational condition. There is a photo over at ADF serials showing Bobby Gibbes seated in this aircraft.

The kit is the Fine Molds kit and I made a few fixes during the refurbishment. I replaced the pitot with a Fine Molds metal one, added an armoured windscreen from the Tamiya 109E kit and had to replace the antenna which broke during refurbishment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A group photo with "Black 6". 3 Squadron operated both together for a while until "Black 6" was confiscated by the RAF.

spacer.png

Cheers

Michael

• Like 18

That's different in a wonderful way. Excellent work on the models, beautifully displayed and the overall diorama is superb.