Hello from a Brit 1/35 AFV guy

APA

First of all what an amazing place! So much info, well done to all concerned. (Already a huge fan of Mike Starmer)

Secondly, flippin 'eck it's changed a bit since I were a lad!

So Mrs APA found me watching modelling vids on Youtube. Stuff like Plasmo and Nightshift et al. I had no intention whatsoever of resurrecting this old hobby which I hadn't done since in my teens but then last Christmas under the tree there was a box. As soon as I picked it up I knew what Mrs APA had bought me. As I unwrapped it I regressed 35 years. A Tamya 1/35 Cromwell. She couldn't have picked a better one. (Well I would have preferred a Comet but hey ho!). Little did she know what she had done. I then had to explain that this wasn't something you can snap together after Christmas dinner oh no...... I need to buy ALL THE TOYS!!

I now have a fully equipped modelling station with compressors, airbrush, booth, all the paints, all the brushes, all the pigments etc etc etc. Well you have to don't you.

I am a strictly 1/35 AFV guy. Back in the day it was the usual big cats and a few British and Soviet stuff. All Tamya as thats what Toy & Hobby in Chester sold. Now I'm discovering the joys of AFV Club, Takom, Thunder etc. I have decided to do only UK stuff as I still feel they are under represented. While I'm a tank guy I have realised that I seem to prefer the Soft skin stuff, Lorries Transporters etc They seem to be more intricate and detailed which is what I like. I'm more into physical accuracy rather than historical although I do try my best. My philosophy with accuracy is "Don't you know theres a war on?" Meaning nothing was always done by the book so within the realms of reality you have licence. Controversial?

My first question is....... When are we going to get a Black Prince?, The sports coupe Churchill. The old ones are the best ha ha!

I'll post the first two real successes on here, Thunder Models Scammell Transported and Takom Whippet.

My 'To Do' List:

Churchill Mk3 (Tunisia / Kingforce Scheme)- AFV Club

Centurion Mk3 (1950's display with white barrel, highlights and name plaque) - AFV Club - Currently in progress

Comet (Probably N. Europe, maybe winter) - Tamya

Crusader Mk3 (North Africa) - Tamya

Chieftain Mk10 (Berlin Scheme) - Takom or Meng

Valentine Mk3 (Not decided) - AFV Club

WW1 Rhomboid - (Not decided, maybe Tadpole) - Takom

Archer (Prob N Europe) - Tamya

Tortoise (Prob abandoned, derelict) - Meng

Firefly (N Europe) - Ryefield

Matilda Mk1 - When one exists

Black Prince - When one exists

Scammell Pioneer SVS2 (RAF) - Thunder

Scammell Pioneer R100 (Prob BEF) - Thunder

AEC Dorchester (Caunter scheme) - AFV Club

Rolls Royce Armoured Car (Maybe Malta scheme) - Meng

Looking forward to responses however I'm not a fast modeller, can take a few months to complete.

And hello again

APA

• Like 6

APA.

Good afternoon and welcome, this is a most excellent site. 
Interesting, reading your ‘to do’ list. I’m soon to start a Thunder Models 1/35 Scammell Pioneer SV2S Recovery Tractor. Thought it might make a change from something with a gun. Just finished (posted in RFI) a Ryefield M1240A1 M-ATV U.S. MRAP, lots of detail there.

Jon

Good afternoon @APA and welcome indeed. Wow, you certainly have come back with a bang judging by your wish list, and yes I reckon the hobby and the available subjects have changed immensely since you last modelled in your teens.

You will find this place incredibly friendly, with much help and advice on hand. I made my come back to the hobby just over 5 years ago and I'm hooked more than ever, with quite a few under my belt now. Joining in here has really helped me take the hobby further, and I have made many new friends. I've probably now met in excess of 20 Britmodeller colleagues at various shows and museums, and a handful have come from overseas. A fantastic place to indulge in a fantastic hobby.

Looking forward to seeing some future posts of your Cromwell build maybe or others, failing that it's a great place to seek advice etc.

Terry

• Like 1

Hi, interesting "to do list" I'll watch with interest,  lots of great subjects lined up...

Chip in when you fancy. I found the WIP section really good and a great way of getting to know folk, not to mention hugely well informed and incredibly helpful. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, APA said:

First of all what an amazing place! So much info, well done to all concerned. (Already a huge fan of Mike Starmer)

Secondly, flippin 'eck it's changed a bit since I were a lad!

Flippin  eck     are you a Yorkshire lad by any chance.

This is a fantastic site. Welcome also.

Hi @APA Nice to see another fan of British AFV's. I have set myself the task of building a representation of every AFV used by the British so obviously our lists are very similar.

So far pretty much everything seems to be available in one form or another. Accurate Armour do have a Matilda I if your willing to pay out for resin kits. https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-complete-kits/k067

Looking forward to seeing your builds.

Wayne

Hello APA... If you are interested in group builds I am in the process of trying to get an all things British armor build off the ground. I have just met the needed number of sign-ups to qualify for the November vote. If I can get one of the cherished 7 slots for next year it will take place. In the off chance you are curious here is a link to see what its all about. 

Feel free to check it out and if you are interested let me know I can add you to the list. 

Dennis

Flippin 'eck! (I must stop saying that as I'm not from Yorkshire @Timn!)

Thank you for the welcome. Glad to see there are a few UK AFV fans out there. 

@faraway I've just posted my Scammell Transported in 'Ready for inspection' I would recommend the Dragon kits and yes it makes a change from "something with a gun" 🙂

@Terry I will spare you the Cromwell. It was my 1st since I were a lad so mostly a learning experience. Oh go on then, might as well get it out the way now....

20200328_184119

@Diablo Yes I've seen the AA Matilda 1 - I'm not paying that sort of money sorry. Same for their Stalwart which would also be cool to build. Also that is a pretty tall task you've set yourself considering the dozens of failed sorry experimental short run AFV's we came up with early on.

@Corsairfox Well it's nice to be in demand after one post! I might be interested however this hobby is not run to a schedule (I have a day job for that sort of thing thank you!) but let me think about it. Is there a 'Rules & Regs / T&C page'?

@ Jasper Yes there is plenty of stuff to get your teeth into.

Once again cheers all

A

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, from someone who gave up building wingy things, about 15 years ago, after building them for 40 years. Now I build nothing but AFVs and am loving it. You'll find many knowledgeable people on here who will be willing to help with any inquiries that you might have. Enjoy your modelling.

John.

Cheers Terry 

I'll post the whippet soon. At the mo I'm working on a Centurion mk3 based on the 1950's display vids on YouTube. I'll post that as well. 

A

• Like 1

Just now, APA said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle that's fine, no worries. I've had a look into it and sounds fun. Where do I sign?

A

If you go back yo the link just go to page 7 which is the last page and ask. It makes it all official and I can add you to the list. Again this just just indicates interest no commitment to build or participate in anything. On November 1st I will send out a reminder to everyone to vote in the group build voting. The top 7 group builds as of December 1st go into next years list. 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2020 at 16:28, Faraway said:

Thunder Models 1/35 Scammell Pioneer SV2S Recovery Tractor.

Well, I was going to start it, but ‘Sprue B’ is missing. So until I get a replacement, it stays unstarted.

Jon

Now there is an odd thing. Sprue K was missing in mine. Got a replacement a couple of weeks later. The lock down didn't help. 

I checked my R100 and they are all there. 

A

• Like 1

Once is just one of those things, twice is reason to worry, if it happens again then thunder models (not dragon) have an issue 🤔

A

Edited by APA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, APA said:

dragon have an issue

Mine is a Thunder Models kit. Interestingly, I am now unable to get onto the Thunder Models website.

I contacted the shop where I bought the kit, and they are going to contact their supplier and hopefully get me the missing Sprue. 
Jon