Anycubic Photon 3D printer

bootneck

5 hours ago, ICMF said:

I will preface this by stating, I am firmly of the belief that unless you are regularly designing your own parts or having items printed by a 3rd party print bureau already - and thus have a decent understanding of what you need, and why - you should not buy a 3D printer for scale modelling purposes.  They are tools, not appliances, so unless you want to start an entirely new hobby of using the tool, you'll just be wasting money on an underutilized lump of electronics.

Well said, this is what prevents me from buying, that I started to consider some 3-4 years ago

On 9/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Bozothenutter said:

Did you add extra holes for airflow?

No need to, 12 inch fan is already oversized.

11 hours ago, FZ6 said:

A lot of the things I want to build at the moment are small so paying almost 3x the price for the larger printer is something I think I might be able to live without.  The mono SE has a similar spec but more robust looking case and larger touch screen. The main advantage of the Mono SE appears to be the substaintial increase in print time over the Mono. is that extra 3cm per hour worth $140? I'm guessing it is if you're doing something on a commercial scale it is but I might be able to live with the slower speed which is still over twice as fast as the standard Photon.

Cheers,

Mark

And you have into account the fact the Mono X (like the Elegoo Saturn) has a huge VAT, you'll need plenty a resin just to fill the surface.

0.5L won't often be enough.

7 hours ago, ICMF said:

I will preface this by stating, I am firmly of the belief that unless you are regularly designing your own parts or having items printed by a 3rd party print bureau already - and thus have a decent understanding of what you need, and why - you should not buy a 3D printer for scale modelling purposes.  They are tools, not appliances, so unless you want to start an entirely new hobby of using the tool, you'll just be wasting money on an underutilized lump of electronics.

That being said...

Those spec lists don't really cover the significant differences between the Mono and SE.  The biggest difference is that the SE adds dual linear rails, which should improve print quality.  It also adds WiFi, which isn't a big deal IMO, but I'm sure it will help lots of peoples' workflow.  It has a redesigned build plate that should be easier to level, although if you're using the printer properly, levelling is basically a one-time event.  The bigger touch screen doesn't matter.  The hinged/metal chamber vs bucket lid is going to be personal preference; the bucket makes levelling and cleaning up after spills easier but requires more space, while the hinged lid means a smaller footprint but it's harder to access behind the vat.  Extra speed is nice, but really doesn't matter for the home user; the faster printing will still feel too slow for your inner Verruca Salt, and the slower printer will be more than fast enough for your actual needs as a modeller.  The one possible exception here is if it makes a difference on diffusion/diffraction (the faster cure time may mean less light bleed?), which would increase accuracy.

TL;DR: the SE does have a bunch of upgrades/differences, but most of them are relatively minor, so the base Mono should be absolutely fine for most users.

The huge difference is the bucket case vs the metal case.

Metal case is an easy support for a exhaust fan and other features , you will be able to put the printer near your modelling workbench or a computer.

Bucket case is completely useless, fumes will still be there, carbon filters just remove odors and big aerosols, not all toxic fumes. 

Just an enquiry as to wether any of you that did purchases during the anniversary sales have heard anything more from Anycubic?

Aside from the confirmation of my order on the 25th and the money coming out of my PayPal, i haven't  seen anything else from them. 

also i did spot when they released all the new models that a new Wash and Cure station was to come out with some improvements, but for some reason, its not showing on the 'New Arrivals' section. sold out or retracted from sale i wonder?

Try the following email addresses.  I have found them to be quite helpful, and polite, and I'm sure they can advise you.  Quote your order number.

[email protected]

[email protected]

I got an email from them with this info on sale offers.  I think these are the earlier machines; however, you could search around this site for what you are looking for.

cheers,

Mike

On 25/08/2020 at 11:26, Bozothenutter said:

Still waiting for my wash&cure and resins though.

Me too - had an e-mail from them that the (organic) resin wouldn't be available until late Sept. Getting close now.

Acquintance in my usual modelling group bought a Photon, it wouldn't work with the usual software/drivers - he discovered that his had the Photon S electronics & as soon as he had the appropriate dowloads was up and running.

3 hours ago, Circloy said:

Me too - had an e-mail from them that the (organic) resin wouldn't be available until late Sept. Getting close now.

Acquintance in my usual modelling group bought a Photon, it wouldn't work with the usual software/drivers - he discovered that his had the Photon S electronics & as soon as he had the appropriate dowloads was up and running.

I too am waiting for a bottle of soy based resin.

out of interest, you mention that your acquaintance was up and running after he had the appropriate downloads. What kind of downloads are you referring to?

That printer does not need any downloads in order to be used afaik

15 hours ago, Circloy said:

just had the shipping email, so it should show up on DHL tracking tomorrow!

Hang in there!

15 hours ago, Circloy said:

Yeah, there is the 'Original'Photon and the 'Upgraded' Photon that latter has a proprietary main board, whereas the 'Original'was based on an generic mainboard (Chituboard I believe).

The 'Original' apparently can be used with Epax firmware which activates the network connection.

This makes the 'Original' pretty much a parts bin special, with a lot of advantages for the tinkerers among us....(good god, my hobbies are begetting hobbies!)

20 hours ago, Pouln said:

I too am waiting for a bottle of soy based resin.

out of interest, you mention that your acquaintance was up and running after he had the appropriate downloads. What kind of downloads are you referring to?

That printer does not need any downloads in order to be used afaik

Not sure - just recallng what he said. Might be seeing him Sunday (before we go sixes not sevens) If i remember I'll ask.

I still did not receive the plant-based resin that I ordered together with the Photon. 
Dropped them an email yesterday and got the response that they would send it out today.

Apparently you need to shake them gently before they will fulfill the order. (Ordered first week of August in German fulfillment center).

Have all of you who have placed your orders through the August sale got your machines? Ive still seen nothing. Definitley feel its worth shooting an email now as i know the boat from china isnt quick, but unless it took a detour via queensland i have no idea where my printer is right now :D 

On 21/09/2020 at 10:45, Pouln said:

I still did not receive the plant-based resin that I ordered together with the Photon. 
Dropped them an email yesterday and got the response that they would send it out today.

Apparently you need to shake them gently before they will fulfill the order. (Ordered first week of August in German fulfillment center).

Thanks for the update - was thinking it's time to give them another nudge

On 9/22/2020 at 9:51 PM, Circloy said:

Thanks for the update - was thinking it's time to give them another nudge

They kept their promise. Today it was delivered by DHL courrier. Jay...

• Like 1

Did my first print with the Anycubic clear plant based resin today.

it went well, however the result is not quite clear (like you would need for canopies etc.

It has a distinct haze, which can be treaded with Gauzy. Much better after that but still not totally transparent.

good enough for the light lenses I was printing.

Other thing is that the resin is definitely not water soluble. You still need ipa or whatever you use for non-plantbased resins.

Smell? Hardly any smell.

25 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Did my first print with the Anycubic clear plant based resin today.

it went well, however the result is not quite clear (like you would need for canopies etc.

It has a distinct haze, which can be treaded with Gauzy. Much better after that but still not totally transparent.

good enough for the light lenses I was printing.

Other thing is that the resin is definitely not water soluble. You still need ipa or whatever you use for non-plantbased resins.

Smell? Hardly any smell.

I've got the lavender one.

Yes, it doesn't smell, exposition time is shorter.

But it's pretty worthless, you need tons of IPA to clean it and unlike normal resins, it's pretty difficult to recycle the resultant IPA.

I will use it for testshoots and print useful parts with AC or Elegoo Grey.

• 2 weeks later...

Im literally hearing nothing back from them when ive sent messages through their web form. Its a bit irritating to be honest, that they can take my cash and quite literally not reply in any fashion.

I saw they said they had a 'national holiday' this week and were not answering any emails etc. I will contact them again in the next couple of days but im frankly not expecting a reply at this point, and may have to force a full refund request through PayPal.

which annoys me all very greatly! 

I have sent inquiries regarding order status through [email protected]

They responded within 2 days, so I suggest you try that. 

5 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Im literally hearing nothing back from them when ive sent messages through their web form. Its a bit irritating to be honest, that they can take my cash and quite literally not reply in any fashion.

I saw they said they had a 'national holiday' this week and were not answering any emails etc. I will contact them again in the next couple of days but im frankly not expecting a reply at this point, and may have to force a full refund request through PayPal.

which annoys me all very greatly! 

• Like 1

well,

for those interested......I killed it!

the printer that is.......😂😭

that should teach me to leave well enough alone!

two red lights on the main board, had a second main board....same

did the voltage tests, both are good.

some googling tells me it means a short circuit somewhere, so investigating that atm.

but it even gives the red lights with just the power connected and nothing else!

Oh well, I will fix it, and finish my designs in the mean time........while keeping my eye on the phrozen sonic 4K price! 

On 10/9/2020 at 5:39 PM, Pouln said:

I have sent inquiries regarding order status through [email protected]

They responded within 2 days, so I suggest you try that. 

Fired them an email and less than 24hrs later got sent a load of DHL tracking codes showing my packages were on their way from Germany. Seems this worked out of all other avenues! 

3 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Fired them an email and less than 24hrs later got sent a load of DHL tracking codes showing my packages were on their way from Germany. Seems this worked out of all other avenues! 

That happened with me too when I inquired about the plant based resin. Apparently they need a gentle reminder for them to follow up at back orders.

Good that it worked for you.

• Haha 1

On 13/10/2020 at 14:48, Pouln said:

That happened with me too when I inquired about the plant based resin. Apparently they need a gentle reminder for them to follow up at back orders.

Good that it worked for you.

Fired off several e-mails recently, not even received a reply. Considering escalating