Anycubic Photon 3D printer

bootneck

Just to throw further kindling onto the 'hmm should i buy this while the deals still active' fire , Looking at getting a 2K Resin printer i was looking at both the Anycubic Photon and ELEGOO MARS, which are comparable machines although there are some design considerations on the Mars that do make it a tiny bit more appealing, at the expense of increased price.

Elegoo Mars is currently £190 (on Amazon UK) , Anycubic Photon is £127 (Their Website).  

I took a look at the ELEGOO site, and EVERY product they sell is sold out.. Interestingly though their resins and FEP vats are listed as compatible with the Photon, which may be handy when they come back in stock. 

Right, back into my lair i go, until i either cave and get this deal or miss out :P 

I've got the Photon S. I can recommend this printer for small parts, they print very close to injection mould parts. The only issue I've found is that the Z axis can sometimes be slightly out in places when using the full height to build, anything built up to 2-3 cms seems to be OK.

Edited by Blacktjet

9 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Just to throw further kindling onto the 'hmm should i buy this while the deals still active' fire , Looking at getting a 2K Resin printer i was looking at both the Anycubic Photon and ELEGOO MARS, which are comparable machines although there are some design considerations on the Mars that do make it a tiny bit more appealing, at the expense of increased price.

Elegoo Mars is currently £190 (on Amazon UK) , Anycubic Photon is £127 (Their Website).  

I took a look at the ELEGOO site, and EVERY product they sell is sold out.. Interestingly though their resins and FEP vats are listed as compatible with the Photon, which may be handy when they come back in stock. 

Right, back into my lair i go, until i either cave and get this deal or miss out :P 

I've looked at these two and they are practically the same printer in terms of size, capability and performance.

If the two were the same price I would go with the Elegoo, not entirely sure why, I feel it just takes the edge.

But at £190 compare with £130 I can't see that it is £60 better.

Cheers,

Nigel

2 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

I've got the Photon S. I can recommend this printer for small parts, they print very close to injection mould parts. The only issue I've found is that the Z axis can sometimes be slightly out in places when using the full height to build, anything built up to 2-3 cms seems to be OK.

At the moment with the standard Photon on sale the Photon S doesn't look such a great deal

Photon = $169 = £129

Photon S = $379 = £289

That is £160 for the the Photon S which has a better Z drive and a slightly higher power LCD curing light

You can get the Jackson Twin Rail Z upgrade for the Photon which is better than what is on the Photon S for £110

That would make the upgraded Photon £239 vs £289 for the Photon S.

I agree once the sale is over the Photon S will look a lot better.

Cheers,

Nigel

13 hours ago, nheather said:

At the moment with the standard Photon on sale the Photon S doesn't look such a great deal

Photon = $169 = £129

Photon S = $379 = £289

That is £160 for the the Photon S which has a better Z drive and a slightly higher power LCD curing light

You can get the Jackson Twin Rail Z upgrade for the Photon which is better than what is on the Photon S for £110

That would make the upgraded Photon £239 vs £289 for the Photon S.

I agree once the sale is over the Photon S will look a lot better.

Cheers,

Nigel

I went for the Photon S because of the improvements and the increased build height. I paid £245 including delivery, resin, spare FTPs and a pack of strainers so not a bad deal but I was expecting the Z axis to be more stable than the earlier model.

My luck seems to have run out!

After moving some cash about decided to take the plunge, the Photon, Wash And Cure Station, and the 1lt Plant Resin.

Get through paypal checkout, apply my codes etc, finalize shipping info and then get stung by 'no shipping options to your location'  -  so cant progress any further with my purchase.

EDIT -  I was not entirely happy that i missed out on this deal - so found a workaround.

You can still order from the Anycubic.de store, which still offers free shipping to the UK! 

So i ended up paying 289 euros which ended up as £271.59 for the Photon, The Wash & Cure Station, and 500ml of White Plant UV Resin.  a little more than if i had used the .com american store and paid in dollars, but still a sizable saving on normal cost!

Pro tip -  if your buying Resin at the same time, you can save a few quid by using the code FILAMENT-RESIN  - it takes 10% off your resin prices. saved a whopping £3 lol

Edited by Kushan_Farsight
Because i succeeded with my purchase !
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

My luck seems to have run out!

After moving some cash about decided to take the plunge, the Photon, Wash And Cure Station, and the 1lt Plant Resin.

Get through paypal checkout, apply my codes etc, finalize shipping info and then get stung by 'no shipping options to your location'  -  so cant progress any further with my purchase.

EDIT -  I was not entirely happy that i missed out on this deal - so found a workaround.

You can still order from the Anycubic.de store, which still offers free shipping to the UK! 

So i ended up paying 289 euros which ended up as £271.59 for the Photon, The Wash & Cure Station, and 500ml of White Plant UV Resin.  a little more than if i had used the .com american store and paid in dollars, but still a sizable saving on normal cost!

Pro tip -  if your buying Resin at the same time, you can save a few quid by using the code FILAMENT-RESIN  - it takes 10% off your resin prices. saved a whopping £3 lol

I think that if you ordered through Anycubic.com, You would have to pay duties when the package arrived in the UK plus costs for handling the duty declaration. So would it still have been advantageous (you didn’t mention the dollar amount at Anycubic.com)?

Not the case as their kit comes from their warehouse in Germany.  I bought mine a few months ago but had to wait until the German stock was resupplied from China.  I've done all my purchases direct with Anycubic, including resins etc., and each time has come from the EU.  Having said that, this might not be the same after December 31st.

cheers,

Mike

I'm on the verge of buying one of these but looks like I've missed out as well because the offer is now only available in the US. I might have to send them an email and see if they can do anything. If not, I'll see what's available in the future as I'm not in an immediate rush.

32 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

I'm on the verge of buying one of these but looks like I've missed out as well because the offer is now only available in the US. I might have to send them an email and see if they can do anything. If not, I'll see what's available in the future as I'm not in an immediate rush.

https://de.anycubic.com/ -  then head to the 'Geburtstag Sales' -  i found using the built in translator within Google Chrome pretty handy here .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

https://de.anycubic.com/ -  then head to the 'Geburtstag Sales' -  i found using the built in translator within Google Chrome pretty handy here .

Or you just select English in the menu and you get the site presented in english😉

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

Not the case as their kit comes from their warehouse in Germany.  I bought mine a few months ago but had to wait until the German stock was resupplied from China.  I've done all my purchases direct with Anycubic, including resins etc., and each time has come from the EU.  Having said that, this might not be the same after December 31st.

cheers,

Mike

I’m wondering to whom you are reacting. If it was to my post, you apparently missed what Kushan said. He tried to order on the US site, which responded that there was no shipment option to the UK. If it would have worked, he would have to pay duties and additional costs

Ah, yes,  I was answering your comment about costs because I had assumed you were referring to Anycubic shipping the stuff from China.  Looking back through the other's threads it is clear I misunderstood that. :doh:

cheers,

Mike

Warranty well and truly voided..😂

20200821-161401.jpg

Dual rail set is VERY nice, moves almost frictionless, with not much play (indicator said 0.003mm)

Found the build plate had a bit of a bow as well, so breaking out the fly cutter this evening.

(I REALLY like tinkering)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, FZ6 said:

It’s been like that for a few days.  The ‘special offer’ counted down to the last minute and then was immediately extended for a further 10 days.  But it seems like they only have stock for the US.  If you try to order with a UK address it eventually says that they can’t ship to that location.  Doesn’t stop them automatically sending subsequent ‘you didn’t complete your order, we’ve saved your basket’ emails.

If you switch to the German site it is 149 euros but it says ‘Ausverkauft’ which I believe means ‘sold out‘.

Maybe with the 10 day extension there may be restocks.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, nheather said:

If you switch to the German site it is 149 euros but it says ‘Ausverkauft’ which I believe means ‘sold out‘.

Indeed it does mean “sold out”.

pity you missed it.

I was planning to order yesterday and noticed it is indeed now sold out. As the offer has been extended a few days, I’m hoping they will get more in stock. However it got me thinking. Are the extra features of the photon S worth the price difference over the Photon?

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I was planning to order yesterday and noticed it is indeed now sold out. As the offer has been extended a few days, I’m hoping they will get more in stock. However it got me thinking. Are the extra features of the photon S worth the price difference over the Photon?

Cheers,

Mark

No actual experience but I have looked at the specifications of the two.  It does depend on the price difference of course, with the deal on the standard Photon, the S made little sense.

The main differences are - better Z rail but you can get an even better third party one for the standard, slightly higher power LCD with slightly faster curing, and a slightly higher build height.

To be honest, if I was considering spending Photon S money I would hang on and see what the Saturn is like.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nheather said:

No actual experience but I have looked at the specifications of the two.  It does depend on the price difference of course, with the deal on the standard Photon, the S made little sense.

The main differences are - better Z rail but you can get an even better third party one for the standard, slightly higher power LCD with slightly faster curing, and a slightly higher build height.

To be honest, if I was considering spending Photon S money I would hang on and see what the Saturn is like.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think that was going to be my next question, I was drawn to the Photon because of the offer mentioned here. I was wondering which other manufacturers were worth looking at if I don't get a photon?

I imagine that 3D printing is developing at pace and new printers will offer better printers at lower prices so it's a question of when to jump in although I feel that the quality and price now seem to me making it a more viable option than when I was looking a few years ago.

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I think that was going to be my next question, I was drawn to the Photon because of the offer mentioned here. I was wondering which other manufacturers were worth looking at if I don't get a photon?

I imagine that 3D printing is developing at pace and new printers will offer better printers at lower prices so it's a question of when to jump in although I feel that the quality and price now seem to me making it a more viable option than when I was looking a few years ago.

The Saturn is by Elegoo, but I reckon there will be others similar, they are the next generation, which will use 4K monochrome LCDs.

It is the LCD that cures the resin and the current technology tends to use 2K colour screens, basically mobile phone screens.

Now the 4K vs 2K is not that important in my opinion - in theory, 4K will mean finer detail but in reality I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

The biggest improvement is the specially made monochrome LCD.  The resin doesn’t need colour LCDs but the mobile phone screens available are colour.   What the dedicated monochrome screen offers is

1) much brighter so much faster curing times, less time to complete the print

2) bigger screen, so bigger build plate, means bigger models

3) allegedly more reliable.  The 2K colour mobile phone screens have a high failure rate when used in resin printers

The 4k monochrome printers will be more expensive, but maybe similar to Photon S money - that’s why I suggest not to buy a Photon S now, but wait a few months to see what the new technology is like.

The Photon standard deal is very good though, if there is any more European stock.  But I reckon that will become standard price for the 2K printers when the 4K ones get released.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 1