Anycubic Photon 3D printer

bootneck

20 hours ago, Circloy said:

Ordered printer &  1 ltr of resin late monday evening and was advised 4 - 5 day delivery so expecting delivery from German warehouse. Recieved text this morning to advised shipment had been picked, at lunch further text to say expect delivery between 4:30 & 6:30 sure enough I'd received package @ 5:15. Looks to have been shipped fron Duunstable.

No resin yet, I'm presuming this will ship seperately from Germany &that's where the 4 - 5 days comes in. Can anyone confirm?

My resin was shipped separately. Came one day after the printer.

Well my printer, curing wash station have arrived, BUT no resin yet, however I saw that coming from the courier delivery information and information from, Anycubic, so I ordered a 500ml bottle of plant base resin from Amazon, that is now here so I hope to have a productive weekend!!! Lots to learn.......here I go.

So the deal all seems to be as it says and it would seem as if it has been extended, so if you want one get it now. I ordered on the weekend and it was here in a few days, but frustrating how they work as they did not send it all together, and if I had not been quick to order a little more resin elsewhere I would have all the tools and no material. Possibly the standard resin is available but I decided on the water based, little more expensive but then do not have to buy IPA, and maybe a little less smelly etc.......

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Circloy said:

Ordered printer &  1 ltr of resin late monday evening and was advised 4 - 5 day delivery so expecting delivery from German warehouse. Recieved text this morning to advised shipment had been picked, at lunch further text to say expect delivery between 4:30 & 6:30 sure enough I'd received package @ 5:15. Looks to have been shipped fron Duunstable.

No resin yet, I'm presuming this will ship seperately from Germany &that's where the 4 - 5 days comes in. Can anyone confirm?

Curiously I've had the exact reverse, ordered printer and resin, the resin arrived yesterday from Dunstable but no printer yet.

The place at Dunstable is a warehouse that ships goods from any number of Chinese companies so I'm unaware of what stock might be held there.

The plant based resin, l assume you can sand without worrying too much as the toxic resin ? Or if it best to take the same precautions.

Regards

Robert

24 minutes ago, Robert said:

The plant based resin, l assume you can sand without worrying too much as the toxic resin ? Or if it best to take the same precautions.

Regards

Robert

Although it is biobased it’d be sensible to take the same precautions as with the petrochemical derived resins as the modifications to the soy bean oil (educated guess that is the source) to make it polymerise and additives such as the photoinitiator will (at best) be irritants

Edited by LostCosmonauts

14 hours ago, Robert said:

Take the same precautions Robert.  There's still the danger of fine resin dust inhalation when filing which can affect the lungs.

Mike

On 8/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, Stu_davros said:

Curiously I've had the exact reverse, ordered printer and resin, the resin arrived yesterday from Dunstable but no printer yet.

The place at Dunstable is a warehouse that ships goods from any number of Chinese companies so I'm unaware of what stock might be held there.

My printer arrived this morning, from Germany, with another container of resin.

It seems to be a slightly inefficient way of sending goods, but they get there.

I've downloaded a figure of the Mandalorian from Thingiverse to try it out, looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers,

Stuart

The resins can have different effects with printing and getting the settings right, before slicing, can really help with getting a good print.  Fortunately for us newbies, there are loads of tutorials and videos on how to do this; however, the best one I have found is this spreadsheet.   It details the settings to use with whatever type and colour resin you use on the Anycubic Photon printer.

Check down the page to the line that has your resin type and follow the line along to get the settings.  There may be more than one recommended set of parameters, these are just settings that other users have found to work for them.  What they don't state is how big, small, tall, heavy or solid their print is. 

The main thing is that the smaller the layer count, the finer your model will look.  I find 0.050 and 0.025 both give a 'plastic' like smooth surface.  There are trade-offs though.  Obviously we would all want to use 0.025, as this is virtually glass-like smooth finish but it can be fragile whilst printing and it virtually doubles the time to print an item.  A 3cm tall item printed at 0.50 could take 4 hours whereas the same item printed at 0.025 could take double the time!

For any largish print, such as a rock or bulky warrior figure etc., I would not recommend it being printed as a solid, it would very likely detach from the plate under its weight and fall back into the vat.  There is a function to hollow out the model before slicing and printing and I would use that.

Finally, DON'T FORGET TO SHAKE THE RESIN BOTTLE BEFORE POURING INTO THE VAT!

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good info, thanks Mike.

I made a test print today:

bsquriE.jpg

Well chuffed with the print quality and ease of use, however whilst tinkering with the slicer my 10 year old PCs graphics card overheated and shut down.

Needed a new desktop PC anyway.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Like 2

Did you guys get a 500ml bottle if resin, tucked away in the printer when shipped?

I got one, however it was past its best before use day.

I contacted Anycubic about this. They told me it shouldn’t have bern there at all.

I also ordered a bottle of plant based resin, did not receive it yet and they explained that they are waiting for delivery to them. No ETA Yet.

A couple of questions for Photon users.

1. How close can you print to the edge of the bed
  2. I assume the time taken to print is determined by the height of the print.  So a 35mm high small print will take the same time as a 35mm high big print.  Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that I’m still working out whether the bed is big enough for my needs.  My main interest is wargaming miniatures - in 15mm and 20mm scales I see no problem, but in 28mm it may become challenging.

And most vehicles come as a number of parts.  In PLA I tend to print them separately,  it makes little difference in the time taken.  But with this technology I sense that I could lay them all out on the plate (if they fit) and that will reduce the total printing time significantly.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

I have done prints right up to the edge on all sides with no problems.   When you place the items on the virtual tray, in Photon or Chitubox, the item will change colour if it goes over the printability edge, as in this view.

spacer.png

Yes, the time is taken by the height; however, it will also depend on the layer thicknesses you choose.  I use 0.05mm for my prints and they give a smooth finish but others go down to 0.025mm for an even smoother finish.  For car surfaces for example.

Using the figures in the above image, the tallest one is 25.29mm high, and printed at 0.5 would take 2h 29m.  At 0.025 the same figures to print would take 5h 1m.   Those times would be the same whether you printed one figure or placed fifty figures on the tray, as long as they are all at 25.29mm high or less.

HTH

Mike

• Like 1

That’s a nice upgrade. I first need to see how my photon operates, but I’ll keep this in mind.

thanks for the tip!

On 17/08/2020 at 20:57, Pouln said:

I also ordered a bottle of plant based resin, did not receive it yet

Sitill waiting on mine - e-mailed them last night , no reply yet.

At least I now know it's just me

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Just ordered this,......guess I like voiding warranties

Looks very nice but I’d find it very difficult to justify an upgrade that costs almost as much as the printer.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nheather said:

Looks very nice but I’d find it very difficult to justify an upgrade that costs almost as much as the printer.

Cheers,

Nigel

No justification involved....I'm renowned for my silk purses....😂

I think that those who are going take up this offer will have placed their orders by now as the sale ends tomorrow.  As such, the time has come to close and remove this thread, which I shall do shortly.

For those of you who have taken up their bargain offer, I hope you get as much use and pleasure with the Photon as I am with mine.  All I need now is a fresh brain that can quickly learn how to draw in CAD.  :clif:

Cheers,

Mike

still on the fence on this one! All the great work coming out being done on these  printers doesnt make the decision any easier! I would keep this thread up as Shwarz says as there is some good info in here. 

Edit - i also note that for those STILL debating whether to get it, the offer is actually on for another 2 Days 5 Hours, which puts its 'End Time' at something like Friday 5PM. 

56 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I think that those who are going take up this offer will have placed their orders by now as the sale ends tomorrow.  As such, the time has come to close and remove this thread, which I shall do shortly.

For those of you who have taken up their bargain offer, I hope you get as much use and pleasure with the Photon as I am with mine.  All I need now is a fresh brain that can quickly learn how to draw in CAD.  :clif:

Cheers,

Mike

I vote not to remove this thread (we are having a vote, are we?). Like Jan said there is so much related info in this thread.

It also feels as trying to change history.

I suggest you just change the title to indicate that the offer has ended.