Anycubic Photon 3D printer

bootneck

On 06/11/2020 at 11:11, FZ6 said:

I don’t know if this is of use to anyone, Anycubic are selling their resin on a buy two, get one free offer with the code RESIN3 at the moment.

Thanks Mark,  I have just ordered three 1Kg bottles of their ECO plant-based resin with that offer.

I remember the saying "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks" and thought what a load of tosh!  You are never too old to learn!

Trying to prove by example, I am working at learning this CAD milarky and have been making up drawings for my Ark Royal build.  

Whilst thinking about what to draw next, I remember an early build I did of Dragon's 1:144 scale  "CVN deck" and wondered if I could do something like that for a British aircraft carrier.
XA3LKKq.jpg

I'm still very much in the infancy stage of this drawing stuff, being only able to manage straights and verticals at the moment; however, I decided to give this a go.
x6li67l.jpg

There's still much to do to it but it looks sort of right, so far.
G93CUZh.jpg

This is how it looks in the printing software, although I won't print it yet as it isn't finished and it would be a waste of resin.
cehUfx7.jpg

If it comes out OK then I shall cut a section out of my Ark model's flight deck and slot this piece into its place.

Lots more to do and it does give me something to do on a cold night.  

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

A couple of years ago now, there was an article in Airfix Magazine with drawings for an Ark Royal catapult for the Airfix FG.1 Phantom which might be useful.

Regards

Robert

Knowing well I know nothing about 3D-printing and probably shouldn’t, I fell for the temptation and ordered a Photon S directly from Anycubic and a wash&cure machine from a local distributor with a Black-Friday-sale.  I understand from this thread that there can be quite long delivery times. Did everyone have to wait 2-3 months, or should I too start sending mails when late January arrives?

Mine came from their German supply depot in Frankfurt and only took a couple of weeks so, you may be lucky if they have any in stock there.   Any delay from China is not Anycubic's fault, they ship quite quickly but getting loaded onto the next ship to Germany, and then on to Norway could take time.

Mike

I pre-ordered an Anycubic Mono SE in early October and also ordered 1KG of white plant based resin and a wash and cure machine. It was delivered in mid November in seperate shipments over three days my additional resin purchased in the 3 for 2 offer arrived in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully this will give you an indicator of current shipment times

I've done some initial tests but need to experiment with exposure times and learn the art of adding supports.

I'm still learning but I'm pleased I've been able to design some engine detail to go in the intakes of my Trumpeter F/A-18 Super Hornet and successfully print it.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks guys. I hope I don’t get separate shipments from Anycubic since that’ll mean multiple toll handling fees :o 

The W&C machine I bought inside Norway though since that was cheaper than the Anycubic offer.

Also good to know delays lie on the transporter, not Anycubic. I’ll just have to cross some thumbs I guess.

edit: I just got a tracking number - and it’s a German number :)

Edited by Torbjorn

I've just noticed that Anycubic are having a Christmas sale for the next 48 hours and you can get a 3D resin printer for less than £75.   There are offers for their other machines but getting a Photon Zero for that price could be a very good entry level start, especially for anyone not sure about getting into 3D printing.   I have had a Photon S, which also has a great price tag on it at the moment, for a few months and am getting great results from it.  

There are lots of freebie items on the web that you can print without any knowledge of CAD; however, by watching online tutorials, I am enjoying drawing and printing my own aftermarket parts now.

cheers,

Mike

Just a reminder for anyone ordering now in the UK from the German warehouse.

From 1st Jan we fully won’t be in the EU and looks like it will be without a trade deal.

I recently ordered (and received) a watch from Germany so I looked into what would happen if it were delivered after 31st Dec and here is the gist of what I found.

If you can demonstrate that the item was sent before the 1st Jan then you won’t have to pay any import duty or taxes - or if you do, you can get them refunded.

If however, the item is despatched after 31st Dec, regardless of when it was ordered, then there will be UK VAT and potentially WTO import taxes to pay.  In this case the courier will charge their usual admin fee but on top of that, an additional Brexit charge (around £5) to cover the predicted disruption.

Cheers,

Nigel

So a question on modeling aircraft ordinance. Where would one find line drawings? Preferably with dimensions. I've done the usual google searches and this sometimes works but is there a book or secret website where this kind of info exists?

17 hours ago, aircooled said:

So a question on modeling aircraft ordinance. Where would one find line drawings? Preferably with dimensions. I've done the usual google searches and this sometimes works but is there a book or secret website where this kind of info exists?

Try Here - https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/weapons/bulletsmissiles/

Its not an exhaustive list, and misses a lot of 3 views, but its a good starting point.  I now inextricably find myself modelling an AKS Burlak launch vehicle concept.......

3 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Try Here - https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/weapons/bulletsmissiles/

Its not an exhaustive list, and misses a lot of 3 views, but its a good starting point.  I now inextricably find myself modelling an AKS Burlak launch vehicle concept.......

Thanks! That is a great resource.

On 17/12/2020 at 22:56, aircooled said:

As has been said above, theblueprints website is very very good. 

Aeroplane Magazine does a database which includes drawings and section views as well as dimensions.

I get dimensions and over parameters from pilots notes or manufacturers notes - these are generally the most reliable. 

Just be aware that drawings are quite unreliable. Manufacturers don't produce plan drawings with sections either, the shape of an aircraft is defined by the assembly of the parts, not the other way around. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wellsprop said:

...Just be aware that drawings are quite unreliable. Manufacturers don't produce plan drawings with sections either, the shape of an aircraft is defined by the assembly of the parts, not the other way around. 

Very good point sir.

• 3 months later...

Morning all,

I am awaiting delivery of a AC Photon Mono, any experiences/observations with regard to optimum temperature ranges for usage and storage of both the machine and the proprietary AC resin? I will be setting up my print station in a store room with a wooden garage type door, its south facing so can get quite warm in the summer but very cold in the winter.

Cheers,

Mark.

21 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Morning all,

I am awaiting delivery of a AC Photon Mono, any experiences/observations with regard to optimum temperature ranges for usage and storage of both the machine and the proprietary AC resin? I will be setting up my print station in a store room with a wooden garage type door, its south facing so can get quite warm in the summer but very cold in the winter.

Cheers,

Mark.

The resin is unreliable below 20 degrees, it becomes thick and gloopy.

I keep mine in a garage, which gets very cold in the winter. I maintain the printer at 25-30 degrees using a reptile heater matt. 

IMGP0952

IMGP0950

https://flic.kr/p/2jKREgB

7 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

The resin is unreliable below 20 degrees, it becomes thick and gloopy.

I keep mine in a garage, which gets very cold in the winter. I maintain the printer at 25-30 degrees using a reptile heater matt. 

Thanks for that, I guess a homebrew heater mat would work as well? as long as I'm not doing a brew, which obviously takes priority.

• 6 months later...

A good complement to the Photon Mono X ?

Anycubic Photon Ultra 3D printer launched on Kickstarter.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lancement-de-l-imprimante-3d-anycubic-photon-ultra-sur-kickstarter-888529741.html

Anycubic's first affordable consumer DLP desktop 3D printer will officially go on sale on September 14.

SHENZHEN, China, September 15, 2021 /PRNewswire/ 

Anycubic, a well-known 3D printer brand and a pioneer in the resin 3D printer industry, is back with a state-of-the-art digital light processing (DLP) printer, Anycubic Photon Ultra. The printer will debut on Kickstarter from September 14, 2021 (11am EST / 4pm UK / 5pm Europe / 11pm Hong Kong) to October 14, 2021 at a price of just US$399 for the first 300 units, US$459 for 500 units and US$499 for 2,000 units. Once the Kickstarter campaign ends, the retail price will be US$599.

Anycubic has been making high quality, affordable printers for years.

The Anycubic Photon Ultra, without exception, features attractive detail and an exceptional balance between quality and cost. With this new DLP technology, Anycubic is embarking on a significant change in the world of 3D printing and aims to make this expensive technology more accessible to its customers. Anycubic's 3D printers have been popular with people from all walks of life, including its first desktop LCD printer Anycubic Photon released in 2017. Thanks to the continued support of our customers around the world, the printer quickly climbed up our list of best-selling 3D printers and founded our base of Photon series resin 3D printers that quickly became a staple in every maker's toolkit.

The Anycubic Photon Ultra is equipped with the latest DLP technology from Texas Instrument. It has a powerful light source that projects UV light onto a DLP chip compared to the LCD 3D printer. The DLP chip is an array of hundreds of thousands of small mirrors capable of reflecting incoming light rays.

To meet the growing customer demand for longer life and higher precision 3D printers, the plan is to upgrade the products. In addition, most DLP printers on the market are industry standards costing thousands of dollars, leaving many designers unable to realise their ideas with this incredible technology. That's why the Anycubic Photon Ultra 3D printer is being introduced, to break down these barriers and spark a revolution at the intersection of creativity and technology. Now everyone can enjoy the precision, detail and durability that DLP technology brings.

There are a number of advantages to this approach.

Firstly, because the Anycubic Photon Ultra uses a digital light projector to cure the resin, it can provide a more even light with 5-15% more uniformity than LCD printers. As a result, it will provide significant improvements to the detail and texture of the model. 3dprinterly.com also proved this in its review of the product, noting, "The introduction of DLP technology for average users is a big step in the right direction for resin 3D printing, and the accuracy we can achieve is remarkable."

Secondly, the Anycubic Photon Ultra will help customers save money on screen replacement, as the DLP system gives the machine over 20,000 hours of use, 10 times longer than LCD printers. This eliminates the need for frequent replacement of LCD screens, further delaying the need to replace 3D printers.

Another advantage is energy savings. In an mSLA system, the light source is usually a set of LED lights. However, there is usually only one light source in a DLP system, which is more efficient. Only 12 watts are consumed during operation of the Anycubic Photon Ultra, compared to up to 60 watts for MSLA systems.

"In addition to these three advantages, Anycubic Photo Ultra also brings many other benefits such as better adhesion, user-friendly interface, etc. We were so excited when we finished it, because we solved the most difficult problem in the development process, balancing print quality and price, even as we faced the rising cost of electronics and chips caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, we were able to bring DLP technology to the desktop 3D printer market. 3D printing is changing the way we build and create, and we will go further than ever before with our Anycubic Photon Ultra," said James Ouyang, vice president of Anycubic.

About Anycubic

Anycubic is a leading 3D printer company specializing in the R&D, manufacturing and sales of 3D printers. We offer many affordable, high performance and smart printers for different types of customers, consumers, hobbyists, schools and product designers. Since its inception in 2015, we have been committed to propelling 3D printing technology to enable people from all walks of life to unleash their creativity and turn their imagination into reality.

eb32475827ce68482e35da17739ef577_origina

https://www.netcost-security.fr/actualites/39944/anycubic-photon-ultra-limprimante-3d-dlp-arrive-sur-kickstarter-en-septembre/

"Although the specified resolution of this Anycubic Photon Ultra DLP printer is 720p, its print quality is even better than that of 2k/4k monochrome LCD printers, as the brand states. This is because DLP printers use a different technology to project light than LCD printers.

DLP printers use a projector that reflects all the light from a pixel through a micromirror, so there is no convergence of light, resulting in sharper black and white contrasts. On the other hand, LCD printers converge all the light into one pixel, which can cause bumps and shadows on the edges of the models. When displaying fine lines and small text, DLP printers are sharper than LCD printers, with purer colours and richer layers, resulting in finer texture and more detailed corners of models."

"For these reasons, a DLP printer with 720p resolution can deliver a much higher quality print than a monochrome LCD printer with 2k or 4k resolution. The 16x anti-aliasing on the Photon Ultra helps smooth the edges and corners of prints, which reduces layer lines, also adding to the quality of the print."

https://3dprinting.com/3dprinters/anycubic-photon-ultra-dlp-launches-on-kickstarter/

23 August 2021

Following the success of its Photon series of resin printers, Shenzhen-based printer manufacturer Anycubic has announced the launch of the next iteration, dubbed Anycubic Photon Ultra , on Kickstarter . This one eschewed LCD technology in favour of the latest DLP chip from Texas Instruments, offering better quality prints with lower power consumption.

The original Photons have found a wide audience among manufacturers and researchers because of their low cost, high resolution and compatibility with a wide range of resins.

Anycubic's latest Photon machine offers all this and more. Let's take a look at what's on offer.

Benefits of DLP

The Anycubic Photon Ultra has a print volume of 102.4mm (W) * 57.6mm (L) * 165mm (H), and thanks to the use of their new DLP display from Texas Instruments, is capable of printing at 720p resolution. Most low cost desktop SLA systems use LCD screens, which have a number of disadvantages compared to DLP systems.

Switching to DLP LCD technology brings a number of advantages such as: little or no maintenance, extremely high resolution prints and much lower power consumption.

DLP printers use a projector that reflects all the light to a pixel via a micromirror, therefore there is no convergence of light, allowing for sharper black/white contrasts.

LCD printers converge all the light to one pixel, which can cause bumps and shadows on the edge of the models. When displaying fine lines and small text, DLP printers are brighter than LCD printers with purer colours and richer layers, resulting in more delicate texture and sharper corners of the models.

For these reasons, a DLP printer with a resolution of 720p can offer a much higher quality print than a monochrome LCD printer with a resolution of 2k or 4k. The 16x anti-aliasing on the Photon Ultra helps to smooth the edges and corners of prints, which reduces layer lines, also adding to print quality.

Low maintenance

LCDs by nature degrade over time. They degrade even more rapidly when used in 3D printers, where continuous use can result in the replacement of LCD screens every 3 to 5 months.

The LCD crystal substrates in LCD screens degrade under the UV light typically used for resin printing. This is inevitable, no matter how good your LCD screen is.

LCDs are therefore, like the photopolymer resins for which they cure, a consumable. And consumables equal expense. In short, by using DLP technology, you will reduce your expenditure on consumables. DLP technology from Texas Instruments does not suffer from these same problems because it does not use liquid crystals and the internal projector allows the printer to be used for over 20,000 hours. During this time, an average user would save $600 by using the long-life DLP system compared to an LCD system.

The Photon Ultra costs less than $500 on Kickstarter, so it's not a bad deal.

Quieter, faster, more efficient

The Photon Ultra operates at 40% light efficiency, which is 15 times higher than the 2.5-3% at which LCD printers typically operate. It consumes much less power and is rated at 12W with an average power consumption of 8.5W. The printer consumes between 0.017 and 0.034 kWh to print a 100 mm high model. The lower power consumption equates to less heat, which means that the Photon Ultra does not need cooling fans, making it very quiet.

As mentioned earlier in the article, previous Anycubic Photon models have been popular with researchers due to their compatibility with a wide range of resins. The Photon Ultra offers adjustable UV power options, allowing users to continue to experiment and discover new resin applications.

The latest Photon also benefits from speed acceleration, with the Photon Ultra capable of printing at 1.5 seconds per layer. This is compared to LCD printers such as the Anycubic Photon Mono X, which has a speed of 1.5 to 2 seconds per layer. The Photon Ultra can print up to 5 times faster than the more traditional point source SLA printing.

Where to get it

Anycubic's Photon Ultra will launch on Kickstarter on 14 September 2021, where it will be available for pre-order on a worldwide exclusive basis. The campaign will run for one month, during which time early contributors will be able to purchase at the launch price and receive other perks and bonuses. The launch price is $399 for the first 100 contributors and $499 thereafter.

It will retail on Amazon for over $599 after the Kickstarter campaign, so head over to their Kickstarter webpage and place your orders if you'd like to take advantage of the early bird benefits, or if you'd like to see the full specs of Anycubic's new DLP system .

Hi

Looks like Anycubic is renewing the line at some extent.

While the DLP Ultra has to be seen on the shelves yet (first units won´t be delivered until early 2022), they have also silently launched a small factor 4K printer.

The Photon Mono 4K is out already... but for their home market only -China-. It´s the upgraded version of the 2K AC Photon Mono but with a 0.035mm 6.23" mono 4K LCD, so the printing quality should be on par with the Sonic Mini 4K and the Mars 3.

It is supposed they should launch it for the rest of us late this year. We´ll see... but for me the more the merrier always. Exciting times.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards!

Alvaro