Tribute to a Simple Time...

Many thanks to you all for your very kind words about my little Albatros - I am humbled!

Hi Bigglesof266 - I am sincerely sorry, I had no intention to be disingenuous - I have modified my post to say that I intended to build this largely out of box, but I couldn't help making a few refinements here and there.  Sorry again.

Thanks,

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 1

THAT's the old Airfix kit?
No, seriously, when I saw the first pic at the top I thought it was some new 1/48 release or something. To bring that old kit up to this standard is beyond amazing.

1 hour ago, Brad Cancian said:

Hi Bigglesof266 - I am sincerely sorry, I had no intention to be disingenuous - I have modified my post to say that I intended to build this largely out of box, but I couldn't help making a few refinements here and there.  Sorry again.

Sorry not required Brad, and I didn't mean to sound harsh just honest in my singular criticism as well as equally so in my praise otherwise. As iterated, you made a splendid job of turning it into a silk purse short of major surgery, but it was neither OOTB simple fun build as I had expected from the original intro spin, nor just the result of a oouple or even "few refinements". 

That brought a smile to my face, superb job! I totally agree with building for enjoyment and making minor improvements. That's what it's all about.

Cheers

John

You might say it's not an accurate kit - but who cares when you can build a superb model like that out of it! Remarkable skill, outstanding result!

And the kit was 'born'  the same year as me - I must say it scrubs up better than I do now....!! 🤣

Stunning model!

Keith

Thank you everyone for your kind words - this indeed was a fun little build and did re-kindle some of those feelings from a more simple modelling time - it was great to not have to sweat over too many details.

These old Airfix kits actually aren't too bad to build. The only real fit issue I had with this one was the lower wing piece, which needed a bit of filling and sanding to get into place. The struts were a tad fiddly too, and the horizontal stabiliser was split in the middle, but overall not too bad. 

I have been eyeing off their old DH4 from the early 60s as a future build. It actually scales reasonably accurately for an old kit. :)

Cheers again!

BC

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, Spitfire31 said:

If ever there was proof that 'it's not the kit, it's the modeller', this is it!

Superb modelling = a swan from an ugly duckling.

There's a lesson in there… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Very wise wording: I must recognize that! It is not the kit, it is the modeller. That’s the truth!🤓

Unbelievable model . First I thought it is 48. the wooden fuselage is absolutely stunning and realistic. 
The idea for static display looks very interesting and is another eyecatcher! 
All in all it makes it makes me a little bit envious! 
You can be very proud! 💥💥🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇
Cheers 

Andy  

Edited by Andy Dyck

On 8/7/2020 at 6:28 AM, Brad Cancian said:

I made a couple of changes

No mate, a "couple of changes" means making safety belts out of tape!  😜  Great work... I want to meet the elves who painted the woodgrain on the prop. 👍👍

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all - I know that this is an old topic, but I must say I am rather chuffed that Airfix considered my little build worthy enough of putting up on their Workbench for this month - 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/mediterranean-blenheims-at-the-double?utm_campaign=2828577_Airfix - Workbench - Week 35 2020%2F2021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,1OMJL,A15NPU,5QEXT,1

It's only a little thing but I am still rather chuffed :)

Cheers,

BC

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Brad Cancian said:

Hi all - I know that this is an old topic, but I must say I am rather chuffed that Airfix considered my little build worthy enough of putting up on their Workbench for this month - 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/mediterranean-blenheims-at-the-double?utm_campaign=2828577_Airfix - Workbench - Week 35 2020%2F2021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,1OMJL,A15NPU,5QEXT,1

It's only a little thing but I am still rather chuffed :)

Cheers,

BC

Well worthy 👍

Your modelling is simply superb! But apart from that, what really moved me was the source of you inspiration, that childhood spark that we all share and bonds modellers from around the globe! You have reminded me of that in the best way!:clap: