AA's Dragon Rapide G-AHKV - interior.

Admiral Puff

I'm looking for details of the interior layout of this aircraft. I've read in various places that it was substantially different from the standard, but haven't been able to learn exactly what the differences were. Can anyone help, please? I have a certain 1:32 scale kit in mind ...

Me too, I have been looking for years to no avail.

What I have gleaned it is highly likely that that AA changed the fit dependant on what operations it was tasked with. For example it was as a traffic spotter, exec transport, air ambulance repatriating injured motorists from Europe and it even carried out supply drops to motorists stranded in snow drifts in Scotland, among other duties whilst in AA service.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

I'm also going to build the 32 Lukgraph kit as G-AHKV in AA service. Don't forget the window and engine config is different fom that supplied with/in the kit.

Jennings Helig prints a set of AA decals for the kit, that can be sourced via LSP.

Tommo.

G-AHKV 6792 I believe that it was primarily for reporting and broadcasting on traffic jams so it would have had a Radio op's desk, probably behind the pilot. The aircraft had a long and varied career with a standard seating fit. I have a photo of it in AA use and you can just see that it has a full load of passengers on board so the interior fit wasn't too different.

John

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Aero said:

G-AHKV 6792 I believe that it was primarily for reporting and broadcasting on traffic jams so it would have had a Radio op's desk, probably behind the pilot. The aircraft had a long and varied career with a standard seating fit. I have a photo of it in AA use and you can just see that it has a full load of passengers on board so the interior fit wasn't too different.

John

Is it an image you can share with us on here?

Tommo.

Thanks to you both.

I've got the old Tasman re-issue of the 1:72 Heller kit in the stash, so I do have some guidance via that instruction sheet. Interestingly, it says nothing about differences in window and engine configuration.

And Tommo, I have Jennings' sheet, which is what started me on this quest!

On 08/08/2020 at 00:03, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks to you both.

I've got the old Tasman re-issue of the 1:72 Heller kit in the stash, so I do have some guidance via that instruction sheet. Interestingly, it says nothing about differences in window and engine configuration.

And Tommo, I have Jennings' sheet, which is what started me on this quest!

G-AHKV has 4 cabin windows on the starboard side of the fuselage as clearly seen in the image above, the Lukgraph kit has the more standard 5. Therefore to build G-AHKV the remost one needs to be filled/deleted on that side of the machine. The front of the cowlings had a different profile and a shroud over the intake to improve airflow, because it was painted black in that area of the machine its hard to pick up in most photos when in AA livery. However, you can just about make it out in the one below, if one looks hard enough.

https://www.na3t.org/air/photo/AB00439

Tommo.

Below is a photo of G-AHKV (apologies for the quality as its less than stellar quality as its taken from a book) when it belonged to the brewer Ind Coope proir to to AA ownership, the none standard nacelles can be clearly seen in this image, it was the same when in AA ownership. Whilst the walkaround photos and descriptions/instructions are great in the Tasman kit they don't address G-AHKV differences and were of an extant NZ based machine, obviously. Whirly bits make a resin conversion for the Heller/Tasman kit to address this as well as 1/72 decals too

414458720.jpg

I stand by my up thread comments that the interior of G-AHKV when it was owned by AA changed according to the tasks it was allocated.

Tommo.

On 08/08/2020 at 00:09, John Aero said:

Yes if Photobucket will let me in tonight. I couldn't  use it yesterday.

John

Success, It's not a very good shot.

AARapide.jpg

Thanks John, I wrongly assumed you had an 'actual' interior shot - but, as you say when this photo was taken its clear it had a 'standard' pax fit out.  I have still not seen a photo of G-AHKV's interior in AA ownership and I have been searching on and off for years.

This photo jogged my memory, in that that I read that G-AHKV when it attended airshows gave 'joy rides' to AA members. I'd be darned that I can't find the source for that now - however, it does kinda make sense.

Tommo.

• Like 1

Thanks, Tommo - that helps! The cowling shrouds should be straightforward (famous last words ...) and filling a window is not beyond even my minimal talents. I've just got to await the kit's arrival from Poland - I'm assured that it's now in transit.

While I'm waiting I might try to dig out some details on Adelaide Airways' Rapide VH-UVT Manana/Memma, which apparently was finished in black (or very dark blue) and silver. The one photo I've got (on p. 62 of Peter Yule's fantastic book on Australian National Airways) has her looking very schmick.

• Like 1

Dave - I believe there is an article in Aeroplane Monthly from some time in the distant past that included some of the info you are after - I will try to hunt it out, and it will be an excuse to cruise through the magazine stash to while away this rainy weekend!

OK Dave - a quick search revealed the following issues - Aeroplane Monthly November 1990, March 1994, and April 2004 as likely candidates. Have you hunted through ABIx files as they may have a host of stuff? And you are a member!.

Me again! I have also just dug out the Aircraft Illustrated Special on the dH89 and in the centre is a couple of nice photos of G-AHKV with some descriptions of the "sophisticated array of radio and navigation equipment, including a Bendix SCR269A Automatic radio compass and Ekco VHF and three other pieces of radio gear, including a fan market receiver"This put too much of a load on the electrical system and "the port Queen III was modified to drive a 1000W generator producing 24V" The photo shows a different setup behind the pilot and extra aerials and an acorn fairing above the cabin. The altered area behind the pilot is shown in the photo from the Tomahawk Kid above.

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
additional info

I too have just dug out this book and the radio fit/ops panel is located behind the pilot. The radios were probably stacked in this position against the pilots bulkhead. The dark curved area is probably the kite shaped cockpit door, seen open,  I'll try and scan the photo later. The engine generator fit probably accounts for the top cowling shape.

John