F-15C and E kit question about which is now the best option?

Harrier/ViperFan

I have been wondering now since the GWH release of the F-15 kits in 1/48. Is the Revell kit still the best kit for the F-15E in 1/48? Or has the GWH knock it off it’s throne? I know there F-15C has knock the Hase F-15C off the throne. I know the Academy new boxing is there same boxing with the same shape issues same with Italeri.

• 2 weeks later...

The GWH kit is probably the most detailed kit if you're looking to build a current F-15E - it has very good surface detail, the shape is pretty accurate, decent cockpit and relatively good instructions. However, the fit is all over the place (very good in some places, and very poor in others), the trailing edges of the flaps and stabilisers are way too thick, the decals are very thick and fragile, the included missiles/bombs are a bit poor (the Tamiya F-16 or F-14 ones are much better) and it doesn't actually have a centre pylon despite the instructions mentioning it.

Having built one. I'd say that AM decals, missiles, bombs and exhaust nozzles are highly recommended upgrades if you're building one - I've not built a Revell one, but I've seen that it's got decent reviews and given the price difference between the two, it's probably not a bad choice either.

I'm currently working on a Revell F-15E, which I plan to do in Desert Storm markings. I think it's great value for money. The cockpit detail is quite good, although I have AM ejection seats ready, and the engineering and fit are IMHO really impressive. I have a GWH F-15C in the stash and look forward to tackling it at some point, but I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed the Revell build and recommend it. The only downside (besides its being an early version) is the lack of ordnance aside from fuel tanks, LANTIRN pods and AM-9s; but sourcing GBU-10s wasn't that difficult.

12 hours ago, Seawinder said:

The only downside (besides its being an early version) is the lack of ordnance aside from fuel tanks, LANTIRN pods and AM-9s; but sourcing GBU-10s wasn't that difficult.

There is a boxing that includes lots of (not so great and modern) bombs from Revell and Revell Monogram...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04891-f-15e-strike-eagle--467753

http://www.ipms-deutschland.business.t-online.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_F-15E_Strike_Eagle_48/Rev_F-15E_Strike_Eagle.html

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pro-modeler-5965-f-15e-strike-eagle--145660

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

Thanks, yes, I know/knew about that option, but it was hard to find and relatively expensive when I bought the kit.

• Like 1