1/72 - Vietnam Aces - F-4C & D Phantom II by Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa rebox) - released

5 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

Any recommendations for what weapons would be appropriate for the F4c boxing? I see that Hasegawa make a few sets but not all are appropriate or have very good reviews.

It all depends on what squadron you are going after, Wolfpack? The Gunfighters? EF-4Cs?

Fox One decals and Twobobs had a dedicated sheet for them, I don't know if there is someone still doing stuff on 72th but for the wrong scale of things you can find this chart

706509e59aa335f7571e4c1f3567f9ed.jpg

Also remember that if you put Aim-9s on USAF F-4 you can't place bombs on the TER station under the missile

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Silverkite said:

for the wrong scale of things you can find this chart

Sparrows on the inboard wing pylons of USAF Phantoms..?

Theoretically early F-4C's that retained the Navy style LAU-17/A inboard pylons could mount a Sparrow there, but I have never seen a picture of that configuration. 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Luigi! That gives me a place to start. I guess it makes sense, but I didn’t realize that the loads that were carried depended on what role the squadron was allocated. I assumed that it was mission specific. When I’ve worked out which scheme I want then I can look into sourcing the appropriate weapons and your chart will then be very useful. Will have a look what Eduard has on offer....

12 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

The RAAF did some trials for the USAF with AIM-7's on th inboard pylons, even with AIM-9's next to them. It would make a nice original model.

Lovely find! However, I wonder if the Sparrows were merely carried, since a USAF style MAU-12 pylon is unable to actually launch an AIM-7.

Cheers,

Andre

16 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

Thanks Luigi! That gives me a place to start. I guess it makes sense, but I didn’t realize that the loads that were carried depended on what role the squadron was allocated. I assumed that it was mission specific. When I’ve worked out which scheme I want then I can look into sourcing the appropriate weapons and your chart will then be very useful. Will have a look what Eduard has on offer....

That's why I had around 12 F-4C/D on my stash, because the loadouts of certain units were different from others. Ubon and Udorn Phantoms especially the ones used on night mission or with PGM had other gigs installed, Zotz laser designator on RIO/WSO canopy, asymmetric loads and so on

Luigi

Hi there

Well lucky you got those models, I remember to got mine in a Flea Market in bags complete but decaless, later i was able to get the decals. You going to need Hasegawa Weapons set I, II, III and IV as those are for from the 60s (Vietnam War) to 80s. Sadly the Air to Air missiles box only came with 4 AIM-7E Sparrow but complete sets of 4 AIM-9 Sidewinder Models B, D, E P and J. For the Iron Bomb set you only got 2 each MER and TER (you need to look at Fujimi A-4 Skyhawks as they lso include same amount oc MER and TER but no bombs) also missing the central fuselage pylon. Clean wing pylon the same with the fuel tank can only be found in Fujimi Phantoms

The Phantom F-4 rack or launcher of the AIM-4 Falcon only can be found on older Hasegawa F-4E

All the former for wonderful 1/72 scale

Regards

Armando