Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001 'Full View'

Hi all,

Where to start with this one? I got this in Telford in 2016, and first cut plastic over two years ago. I had this 'great' idea to do the whole thing half and half, with one half painted and decaled and the other half staying clear. I ended up buying lots of carbon fibre decals and covering both the outside and inside with them, I got sponsor decals as well, some tubing/wiring/aluminium foil etc. for the engine and basically kept doing everything I could to avoid the clear plastic parts, as they were covered in pin injection marks that I needed to try to tidy up. So it was a real mojo killing build at times, but I slowly but surely got there. Trying to figure out the best ways to actually do my plan, which bits to paint/assemble first, how to get carbon fibre decals inside the monocoque, trying different glosses etc. etc. meant this build became a huge mental exercise for me. And for my modelling friends too, they're sick of hearing about 'the Ferrari'. :) I started the WIP thread here in March last year to get my mojo going, and it can be found here.

Anyhow, it's finally, finally done, and I'm delighted to have got through it. It's not as good as I'd hoped (they never are!) and I really struggled with some sections (I lost count how many times the clear half of the nose was sanded/polished/glossed etc., and I even lost the painted half of the nose for a while!). But it's my third ever car, and I'm happy with it, and happy that I managed to realise my idea, even if it's not as slick looking as it was gonna be in my head!

As always, all comments welcome, especially any tips/advice on how to improve it. I still need to replace a couple of small decals that died on me, so I can do touch-ups etc. at the same time. 

Thanks!

Kit: Tamiya Ferrari F2001 'Full View'
Scale: 1:20
Paint & Weathering: Zero and Tamiya Paints
Extras: Carbon Fibre Decals, Sponsor Decals, Tubing/Wiring/Details in Engine Bay, Aluminium Foil in Engine Bay

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

I have never liked the idea of a transparent build, until now!  Stunning.  I have followed the build pain throughout and so pleased that it turned out the way it has.

• Like 1

I was never a fan of 'gimmick' kits like clear sections but the cut-away idea is perfectly executed here.

Brilliant touches like the bare carbon on the exposed half make for high visual interest. Your paint and decal work looks surgical in photos and the scuffed tires make this appear a factory display in Maranello.

For your third car effort this is outstanding work. The whole presentation is first rate Jason.

Being from Ireland, I think you should replicate the work of your countryman, Eddie Jordan - a mad genius if there ever was...:frantic:

Hint: Before photos dust it with soft make-up brush - but leave debris on the tires - very natural for sticky race rubber.

• Like 2

Very good end result - it's taken a while to reach the finish line but well worth it in the end. All though the build, I've really not envied you working with all that clear plastic, but you beat it into submission in the end.:yes:

• Like 1

Great idea and well executed! It's one thing to have an idea, another to follow through with all the trouble you didn't know you'd get yourself into 🙂... Well done!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A final belated update to this!

I finally got the base done, just a standard display case with a Coastal Kits base and a Scuderia Ferrari badge I got on eBay for about €4. Replaced a couple of damage very small decals as well, so it's now definitely done!

Thanks...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!

I too would not normally be a fan of the see-through look, but you really pulled it off exceptionally well.

It looks fantastic - and quite informative to the viewer too!

:clap::clap:

• Like 1