Airfix 1/48th EE Canberra B(I)8

The latest off the bench is this kit from Airfix, a real mixed bag of a kit that takes a lot of work to get something out of. First off, a big thank you must go to John (Canberra Kid) for his knowledge and willingness to share. This kit would have been a whole lot different without his guidance and information. Thanks also to everyone who came along for the ride and gave inspiration to tackle this build. Hopefully I've got some of it right but if not then the Canberra Massive will have to forgive some indiscretion. Right, that's the Oscars speech out of the way an onto the build.

The basic kit had the following modifications:

Re-scribed lots of missing panel lines and filled as many that shouldn't have been there.

Re-shaped the bottom leading edge of the vertical tail, as it starts too far forward and has the wrong curve.

Re-profiled the joint between the horizontal tails and the fuselage. Airfix has moulded it with a flat section going onto the fuselage and this isn't correct. I could have done a lot more work in this area because it still doesn't accurately reflect the real thing but I'm happy with the visual improvement that I've achieved.

Re-shaped the rear elevators as the curve on the end needs a profile change.

The following extras were added to the build too:

AlleyCat Models - Canberra Intakes and Aerials.

MasterCasters - Corrected Rudder.

Eduard - Cockpit and Airframe Etch Set.

Hypersonic Models - Canberra Canopy.

CMK - Canberra Wheels.

Reskit - Matra 155 Rocket Launcher.

Aviation Workshop - B(I)8 Gun Pack.

Master Model - Pitot Tube.

Model Alliance - All decals apart from a few kit ones for the dashed walkway lines.

I wanted to build it marked as an airframe from the mid 60's while they still had silver undersides and, with a lot of research and a great book from Allied Wings, settled on this one from 14 Sqn whilst based at RAFG Wildenrath in West Germany. All main colours were from the Hataka - Modern Royal Air Force Paint Set Vol.2, along with Vallejo for all others, Glossed with Future and Matted with Xtracrylix Matt Varnish. Light weathering was done with Flory Models Dark Dirt.

The build, if you're interested, can be found here:

Enough waffle, on with the pictures and, as always, comment and critique welcomed.

G6lMROF.jpg?1

37n5atY.jpg?1

ksxyheu.jpg?1

9cA5099.jpg?1

3774lNm.jpg?1

AiKcbOi.jpg?1

eaylxzx.jpg?1

615vHuH.jpg?1

nL4dg8Z.jpg?1

2n2worO.jpg?1

Tr5eNEQ.jpg?1

sju3uZO.jpg?1

All in all a really enjoyable build and now off to find something else to fill the empty build space. Oh and somewhere big enough to put this beast too.

Pete 

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful model. You can see how much work went into it.

The only point where I am a bit sceptical are the Matra pods, did RAF B(I)8s really carry them? I don't say it's wrong, I just never saw them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Brilliant result mate and well worth all the extras and effort you have put in with the corrections and rescribing, superb 😀 Cant wait to see you crack on more with the Jag now too!

Cheers Stu, the Jag is back on the bench and getting some time spent on it again .

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I do like it, top job!! :clap::clap:

Thanks Jeffrey, couldn’t have done it without your gorgeous bit of resin sitting proudly on top 👍

Thanks again to everyone who has given a comment or like to this build.

Pete