"Parkerised" paint effect for A6M2 1/32

luftmodels

Hello! 👋

According to the notes of the "pros", the guns on 1/32 A6M2 Zero should have "parkerized" color. Can somebody share how did they achieve such finish? I'm aware that there is a possibility of different shades. According to my research it should be greyish, not black.

Any response would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Parkerisation is a process that indeed generally results in a dull greyish finish on the metal. On a model, even in 1/32 scale, I'd just paint the part in a suitable grey and then drybrush the edges with steel or similar paint.

Another alternative is to buff graphite from a pencil over the grey paint. Just don't let the effect become "too metallic"

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Parkerisation is a process that indeed generally results in a dull greyish finish on the metal. On a model, even in 1/32 scale, I'd just paint the part in a suitable grey and then drybrush the edges with steel or similar paint.

Another alternative is to buff graphite from a pencil over the grey paint. Just don't let the effect become "too metallic"

Thank you so much. I guess the grey should be on a darker side, shouldn't be? How about barrels? Did they get parkerised too?

Regarding barrels, it would depend on the type of gun. And each type of gun may have had parts treated in different ways. Best way to find out is to check pictures of the real thing. IIRC the japanese Type 97 had a perforated barrel jacket, in this case the barrel proper is not really visible on a model. With the exception of the muzzle area, that in some machine guns could show untreated steel where the barrel moves relative to the outer jacket, Can't remember if this was the case of the Type 97 though.

Regarding the grey to use, generally I use a dark grey but not something very dark (for very dark I mean something like RLM 66). One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that it's often good to give the assembled machine guns a black wash, to highlight the details. This will darken the finish somewhat, reason why there's no need to start from a very dark grey.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Regarding barrels, it would depend on the type of gun. And each type of gun may have had parts treated in different ways. Best way to find out is to check pictures of the real thing. IIRC the japanese Type 97 had a perforated barrel jacket, in this case the barrel proper is not really visible on a model. With the exception of the muzzle area, that in some machine guns could show untreated steel where the barrel moves relative to the outer jacket, Can't remember if this was the case of the Type 97 though.

Regarding the grey to use, generally I use a dark grey but not something very dark (for very dark I mean something like RLM 66). One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that it's often good to give the assembled machine guns a black wash, to highlight the details. This will darken the finish somewhat, reason why there's no need to start from a very dark grey.

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I appreciate your advice. 👍🏻

This pic from wikipedia (it is 97 type)

spacer.png

I guess the barrel is untreated steel because of the luster.

Edited by luftmodels

Very unlikely that any external part in this gun is untreated. The presence of a metallic shine may simply indicate other forms of treatment and there were/are several used on firearms that lead to different effects. Parts left "in the white", that is without treatment, generally have a proper steel colour.

In any case the picture is a very valid starting point to decide the kind of finish to acheve. The receiver looks more matt while the barrel jacker is shinier and you can see how the edges tend to show signs of wear (drybrushing works well here). The overall finish is also darker than the one often seen on parkerised US guns. Here maybe I'd start with a darker grey. Always keeping in mind that in the end the completed machine gun, even in 1/32 scale, will just be around 40 mm long or so...

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Very unlikely that any external part in this gun is untreated. The presence of a metallic shine may simply indicate other forms of treatment and there were/are several used on firearms that lead to different effects. Parts left "in the white", that is without treatment, generally have a proper steel colour.

In any case the picture is a very valid starting point to decide the kind of finish to acheve. The receiver looks more matt while the barrel jacker is shinier and you can see how the edges tend to show signs of wear (drybrushing works well here). The overall finish is also darker than the one often seen on parkerised US guns. Here maybe I'd start with a darker grey. Always keeping in mind that in the end the completed machine gun, even in 1/32 scale, will just be around 40 mm long or so...

I guess I will star with a  darker grey and work my way up there just like you said. If you notice, the tip has some other kind of wear. I guess this is because it was completely exposed to elements.

23 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Always keeping in mind that in the end the completed machine gun, even in 1/32 scale, will just be around 40 mm long or so...

SO, I spent hours yesterday experimenting with various shades and the best one I've got is Mr Color Tire black. It is greiysh of perfectly dark shade, not black by all means. After applying 8 various products I came to this result. I quite like it.It is a bit darker in real life and metalic specs aren't that visible (I used powerful light in close proximity, hence specs and light feel). Even though I'm done with them, would you improve them in any way?

One note though, these guns are located in the wings unlike the one from wikipedia above.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Looks like a good start ! With some drybrushing and a black wash should look pretty realistic

Regarding the "tip!, if you mean the muzzle this often is more worn for a number of reasons. In some machine guns it's very visible, in others less so.

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Looks like a good start ! With some drybrushing and a black wash should look pretty realistic

Regarding the "tip!, if you mean the muzzle this often is more worn for a number of reasons. In some machine guns it's very visible, in others less so.

But this is already vigorously dry brushed and black washed. I used Tamiya black panel liner [not quite satisfied but it is there].

6 hours ago, luftmodels said:

But this is already vigorously dry brushed and black washed. I used Tamiya black panel liner [not quite satisfied but it is there].

Guess that it's simply that in the picture all these effects are flattened, happens often to me. As you have the real parts before your eyes, you are the best judge of the final effect 🙂

• Like 1